1CHIP SNES SuperCIC and mod help

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by keropi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

^ will do, thanks for the advice!

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

disregard what i said, use the v2 diagram which covers that

3. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

oh cr*p, I need to fix it then since I used the image posted here (v1)

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have just (as in, 20 seconds ago) just finished and tested this mod. Works fine using v2. I will post some pics in abit

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Just to point out, I did the IGR mod at the same time.

Pictures:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  6. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

thanks for the pics, I never thought of installing the 50/60hz with this orientation :)
    and the IGR connections that are on the mobo is a great idea too, will do the same!

7. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

wow, had a good look at that German forum link, the v3 diagram is the one with the floating pins and the v2 diagram is the one with all pins in use on the 74HCU04... the v3 is supposed to be a "simplified" version according to translation ... I don't really see much of a simplification TBH, you just have 2 solder blobs less... :eek:ffended:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

V2 is exactly the same as ikari's original schematic.

V3 has some differences and shouldnt have floating pins.

Also, Ikari's original (v2) is what I used and it works fine

9. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

yeah I'm going with the v2 too, I just spent some time now to actually check the differences and was amazed to see that v3 isn't really that simplified... meh
    at any rate, thanks again Bad_Ad84 for the heads up! :smile-new:

edit: as a sidenote I have corrected the following diagram, the original had wrong GND points on the S-WRAM chip, this one is correct since pin 64 is GND , not pin1 ...

[​IMG]

edit2: and here is for reference the diagram for the 50/60hz switch that is based on ikari01's design and leaves no floating pins like Bad_Ad84 pointed out, I can confirm too that it works perfect

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  10. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

well, today I installed the super-cic + igr mods too, here is my spaghetti snes:

[​IMG]

I will continue tomorrow with the 50/60hz switch installation, I hope it works LOL

11. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

Just add meatballs and sauce.

12. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

I tested today the SNES and it seemed fine, it switched 50/60hz no problems but unfortunately I made a serious mistake... I tested it without the heatsink attached to the 7805 regulator - I simply forgot to put it back after working on the S-RGB chip - and now I have to replace it... it worked fine for a couple of minutes, then started reseting and changing regions (I watched the led cycling colors) and then just black screened... if you leave it alone for a while you get it to work for ~10seconds and then does the same thing that eventually leads to black screen...

.. a huge fail on my behalf :excitement:

[​IMG]

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Sounds like a wiring issue around the old cic pads....

For it to change region, the pic chip has to be getting a button press which it gets from the cic pads

14. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

I thought it was the 7805 acting up, not providing enough current or something... it did burn like hell when I realized I had not put the heatsink back... I have removed it since then but I'll check the CIC pads too so I can be sure... I thought I could get a 7805 locally but apparently my town is too good to stock a common part like that LOL
    Now I will wait until Saturday for a replacement... meh
    I will report back when I get the replacement :)

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

replace the 7805, check cic pads.

I just dont see the region changing (did the led colour change?) by just a faulty 7805

16. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

yes the color did change... for the time it worked it was fine, I was using the pad to change hz just fine... now it seems it strangles to boot because of the 7805, maybe it's a side effect... I will certainly check the pads again :)

17. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Well, today I replaced the 7805 with a 78T05 that according to the datasheets I found can provide up to 3A of +5v and has a max operating temperature of 125 degrees... The original was 1A/85degrees so I guess this one is better...

Anyways the SNES works again but it still does some random stuff. I also noticed that the RESET button sometimes does nothing at all.
    I have checked the CIC connections and they seem OK. Pad reset/hz switching work fine most of the time. I guess that at some point the SNES enters an endless reboot cycle or something... I plan to completely remove the SuperCIC part and install it from scratch to see if this fixes the error.

I also noticed that while the SD2SNES works OK (provided that the snes does not do the infinite reboot) the SNES POWERPAK does not. It complains there are no headers in the ROMS, or that the CF card is busy. I don't know if it's a 1CHIP incompatibility or because of the error that lies in my installation (tested the powerpak on my normal snes and it works fine btw)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  18. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

re-did the CIC part and the snes appears to work OK :encouragement: , I have no idea what was wrong, I can only imagine maybe some cic pads connecting...
    I can boot pal and ntsc carts fine, I can set hz and reboot via pad just fine but there is one thing that does not work: the SNES POWERPAK in NTSC mode.
    It does not load roms, it always complains they are missing the header... switch to PAL mode and everything works perfect - switch to NTSC mode and you get card initialization errors and/or the no-header error.
    I tried replacing the NTSC oscillator but it did not help (using some 21,47727mhz ones btw) , so it's either a problem with the powerpak+1chip-ntsc or a complete failure. The powerpak works fine with the older revision snes machines at 60hz (pal60?). I will test with the sd2snes in the evening.

edit: I also noticed that if you play many times with the pad resets/hz settings , at some point the IGR chip does not bother to switch the led colors, it stays at one color while you press reset while the hz change, the only way to get the correct hz-color combo is to power off and power on again.

edit2: I had a scart cable with a switch: rgb and composite... the snes was working fine with rgb fine and in my infinite wisdom I decided to change the switch on the fly to composite, it worked for ~10secs and it died... now when powered I see no image/sound... plus you can't power it on, turn it off and then on again, it does not work... you need to unplug it and plug it after a while to work. If you leave it enough time it will show an image for 1sec then go dead again... I guess it wasn't meant to be :excitement: , had bad luck with it from the start, I will try to find another

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  19. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Finished the 2nd 1CHIP snes, this time I used a different layout for the 50/60hz switch so I could fix it using the unused screw at the front and got power/gnd for it directly from the 7805.

[​IMG]

runs great except powerpak in ntsc mode... sd2snes is fine though so I don't really mind...

One thing I noticed is the 7805 heatsink temperature... it's very hot... is this normal? you can't hold your hand on it after a while... left the machine running for ~1hr it had no probs btw

20. kel

kel Spirited Member

Finally got around to installing mine and it works great :)

1chip mod.jpg

1chip board.jpg

For anyone that wants to do this mod to their 1CHIP SNES but can't be bothered to work out which pins connect to what, I have made an easy to follow stripboard design.

I've left a spare line each side of the crystals on purpose to avoid the legs of the upright resistors from accidentally touching the crystals outer casing and shorting out.

1CHIP SuperCIC & IGR.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    Jackhead and Dakushi like this.