1CHIP SNES SuperCIC and mod help

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by keropi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Hello!

I just received a 1CHIP SNES and I would like to mod it as I am planning to use it as my main SNES console... I have installed a couple of SuperCIC chips in normal SNES revisions but I am having difficulties finding info for the 1CHIP revision... so I have some questions :biggrin-new:

a. Do I need specific 1CHIP supercic code?
    b. Do I need an extra 50/60hz switching chip? Maybe separate PAL and NTSC crystals?
    c. ... and most importantly :dejection: , is there a good diagram somewhere or a guide for installing things on the 1CHIP?

As always any help will be greatly appreciated, there is lots of normal SNES consoles infos out there but 1CHIP seems a little on the rare side of info... :dejection:

thanks!

edit: I have found this thread: http://forum.snesfreaks.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=10401 that looks like a treasure of info, only that I don't know any German to fully understand it :mad-new:

edit2: I gather I need a 21,47727 MHz crystal , will the ones from this eBay sale work?
    found some more info here btw... http://playoffline.wordpress.com/mod/1chip60hz/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

Hi there. The link to the crystal looks like its the correct one for a pal system.
    Have a look at this http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-switchless-modchip/
    at the bottom there is a download of a schematic to build the 50/60Hz circuit. You will need to build this using a 7404 and 7400 IC's
    You can use the normal SuperCIC code just for the 50/60Hz pin you will need to attach this circuit. Hope this helps.

3. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

thanks , I now see the 1CHIP needs 2 things...
    I won't lie: I can't really understand the schematic: http://sd2snes.de/files/1chip-5060.pdf
    Can a kind soul break it up to me so I can solder the needed parts correctly? That electronic schematic is not for me :(

4. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

What you need to build is actually in one of the links you provided. Just build the circuit as per the picture below.
    [​IMG]

5. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

thanks for the help Mamejay! This schematic is easy to follow, I'll give it a shot!

btw, do you happen to know what's the difference in the 2 schematics that are together in the link? is the 1st one the new improved version?

6. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

Sorry what 2 schematics are you talking about? Just use the one of the picture above I posted. It can be optimized as its quite large but you can just follow that exactly and it should be fine. I have ordered parts to do a couple of 1chip models i have so I will post up in the next few weeks.

7. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

I am talking about this one here: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4724/switchless5060v2.png , seems like a different version or something, I am just curious of why it differs :)
    I also have ordered parts too and waiting for them but I am looking forward to seeing your mod Mamejay :)

edit: is the optional connection to the S-RGB pin9 for true PAL and NTSC output? If you do not connect there then ntsc is pal-60 ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

Thanks guys wanted to do this now i can fix my snes with that board so it will out put pal games yay and i will now buy a snes jr and try this.

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Because its not a schematic, its a circuit diagram.

10. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

^ yes, circuit diagram - perfect for me that I don't get the schematic :highly_amused:

11. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Mamejay did you even got around to mod your 1chip consoles? I just got the parts for mine and I am open to any potential advice :congratulatory:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

i just got the parts yesterday myself but am busy all weekend so would be hitting it next week. Will post up some screen shots once I get around to do it.

13. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

I was about to completely remove the CIC when I found ikari_01's pictures here: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/supercic/Recent
    he has left the original CIC in place, that gave me second thoughts :highly_amused: as I prefer to completely remove it (like I do on the older snes revisions) but thought I asked in case it is needed to be left onboard, the CIC has a different part number too...

so.... is it needed or I can remove it completely?
    thanks! :D

14. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

It should not matter. The SuperCIC emulates the CIC chip. Lifting the pins or removing the chip all together will give you the same result.

15. djelaba

djelaba Benzin !, Site Supporter 2013

Don't forget to add the 10kohm resistor if you remove the CIC!

16. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

awesome, thanks for the help!

17. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

I have been slowly began working on this after I got the parts needed from Bad_Ad84 :triumphant:

I have built the 50/60hz switch according to the diagram posted here:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I put some pins for easy soldering, the whole construction fits nicely in the empty space between the shorter 1CHIP mobo and the joyports ...

then I lifted S-CPUN pin111 and S-RGB pin9 (bad angled foto, you can't tell easily it's lifted...)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and today I removed the original CIC (yeah that's all I did today :rolleyes-new:)

[​IMG]

next steps is to solder the SuperCIC and IGR chips, those will be fixed on the mobo with double-sided tape... more pics to come as I progress :loyal:

18. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

Why have you not finished yet? If you are at this stage it should be a matter of just soldering up the wires and its all done.

19. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

^ true , but the boredom is strong in me atm :biggrin-new: :highly_amused:

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You probably want Pin 5 and pin 9 of the 74HCU04 connected to ground. Unused inputs of the HC series shouldnt be left floating, as it causes excess power draw. I dont know if this applies to the HCU ones, but it cant hurt (as the outputs are unused for those anyway)