14TB of tape data

Discussion in 'Acclaim Project' started by ASSEMbler, Oct 23, 2010.

1. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

so they're all AIT tapes? if we get a catalog of what kinda drives we need, what kinda tapes there are i can figure something out i'm sure. we have a storage here at work full of old tape drives etc. i could help digitalize that stuff and copy on dvds, upload to the web etc.

2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

No, they're many formats. AIT is relatively new. Finding the right tape drive is the least concern, really. You need to know how the files were archived in the first place.

Are you not in Germany? I've already offered my services as far as tape drives are concerned - but I'm in the UK and would be rather worried about them leaving the US (or even Kev's possession, really) - too easy for the data to be lost.

3. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

okay i can see why you worry. i am in germany, yes so i might be out of the game, too.
    was just trying to help here :/ since i'm working with backups everyday i might have some knowledge on them....

4. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I have them pulled out of the storage, will try to get pics together.

5. phazmatis

phazmatis Member

Hopefully, the majority of the space is taken up by textures, artwork, models, tools, etc. I'd really love to see a stripped-down version of these backups, with only text files and code files left intact. But man... 14TB. I don't even know how one would go about processing all of it!

6. kammedo

kammedo and the lost N64 Hardware Docs

Easy : one file at the time.

7. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

i think one bit at a time would be more effective :p

8. Trekkie

Trekkie Peppy Member

I just want the visual stuff.

9. Fudgexx

Fudgexx Robust Member

14tb holy shit?
    thats 14,000 gbs, that would take a 10 years to download

10. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

Complete compilable source code to a commercial game (released or unreleased) for any pre-GC Nintendo console would be cool, as would any hitherto unreleased development tools and info for such consoles.

For some reason I really want to see the source code to a commercial N64 game (either relased or one that is close to being finished and would have been released)

11. ASSEMbler

I made a thread with the pictures of the tapes.

12. oasiz

oasiz Member

Heya, ran to these forums while browsing around.

I happen to have a DAT4/8GB tape drive in my older machine.
    If there is any need then I can try to test it out (I need to install a SCSI card first) and put it to good use.
    One problem is that I live in finland but I happen to have a pretty decent internet connection and shipping stuff here shouldn't be a pain.

But if there is any need for these kind of tape recoveries then I will try to test this thing out and get it working properly. I might be able to acquire some other tape readers as well as people throw that kind of stuff away really easily in here these days, actually if I had known about this a few months earlier I might have had a few more drives to offer :)

I am also fine with shipping this drive away if you aren't comfortable in sending valuable stuff this far (as long as the costs aren't astronomical).

Now that I typed this, I actually looked on more details about it.
    It's a compaq branded 4/8GB DAT drive and model is SDT-7000

As seen from that link, It seems to be a sony drive (DDS2)

If there is any interest then let me know as I would love to help :)

13. MarcoEagleEye

MarcoEagleEye Member

Hi
    Assembler, My friend and I want to help you be happy because we are also very interested in the material. What you would need to support? Hard drives, hardware, or money?

14. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

YES. I'm interested in anything from Mega Drive. Hopefully Acclaim would have some GEMS/SMPS sources (and Mega CD stuff dear God)

15. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

Is there anything which (if found on these tapes) would NOT be publicly released?

16. ASSEMbler

Well I need a list of drives we need.
    Preferably with drives that can read all the older formats.

I wouldn't release resumes of course, or personal emails. I scrub emails.

17. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Wow, how many times do I have to give you the list?!

The drives are the least of your worries - that's the known variable. What format they are and how they were backed up... that's a different kettle of fish.

18. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

:lol:

19. weej

weej Newly Registered

It's awesome that you got *the* Jason Scott to help out, I hope you *do* go to him as he's pretty much dedicated his life to preserving computer history in its many forms. This should be right up his alley!

Plus Assembler, you get a 2 in deal when you meet him: he looks a LOT like "System of a Down"'s lead singer! You could take pictures and Tell everyone what a stand up guy he was and how he's been humbled now that his rock star days are over.

Seriously though Sony no longer supports the AIT tape format and I agree that we need to find out what format those files are stored in, how to extract them, and eventually how to streamline them (streamline content = for the masses, Conent as is = for Archival purposes.)

Here's a video where Jason introduces himself, what he does, and a brief history of ancient computer cracks, hacks, and pirate hilarity: http://vimeo.com/15400820

20. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

New guy here, registered because I saw this post. I work at an IT company that used to have tape backup starting from the mid 90's or so, though we have a huge SAN now instead. We never throw out old hardware because some of the old farts at work get sentimental about throwing it away, but I'm sure I could borrow some of it home to copy some of the data off, or maybe even do it at work.

As for uploading, I can clean up some HD space and serve maybe 8-10TB if I just switch a few of my disks. I got some spares but it would take time to sort through all that data. Maybe I could seed the entire thing (http://i.imgur.com/arF6U.jpg). I got a fiberoptics connection at home which currently run at a 60mbit upstream (downstream won't affect it) though sometimes it peaks around 80-100mbit (when the node has little traffic).

My only concern are the legality of what would be distributed. I am not interested in serving personal information or anything that violates privacy. It also goes without saying that one person cannot go through that much data alone, so some sort of plan needs to be worked out. As for you, I am sure that you have your own reservations for sending this to a complete stranger. If you are at all interested then please take it to PMs.