SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Xbox 360 Jasper R-JTAG in 2016?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by kreg, Nov 15, 2016.

1. kreg

kreg Rapidly Rising Member

I am Interested in learning how to modify a Jasper, in order to try out homebrew and alternative dashboards. I have done some very basic history research on J-TAG, RGH, RGH1.2, RGH2, and R-JTAG. I am concerned with reading up on methods that may be out of date.

Example: Does the CR4 XL make an R-JTAG kit pointless for a Jasper?

Is Xecuter's R-JTAG starter and Ultimate kit out of date?

Is a CR4 XL a replacement approach for these older kits?

Why is the CR4 XL described as R-JTAG+ and RGH2+ and JTAG at the url below? Does the + mean something more current than regular R-JTAG or regular RGH2? Why describe it as regular J-TAG?
    http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Xecuter-CR4-XL-RGH/JTAG-SLIM-and-PHAT-USA-Canada.html

Thanks. Looking for anyone to clear up any history and point me towards any older parts to quest for.

2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

They just have a crappy title. The cr4 does work fine with the jasper, as I've installed one personally in a big block. It did glitch instantly every time. some people say the cr4 is over kill and you should just get a clone or matrix chip for phats...

kreg likes this.
  3. kreg

Ahh I see. I wondered if it was just weird descriptions for click bait.

Is R-JTAG achieved only with Xecuters kit? (assuming one could be found)

4. s8n

s8n Robust Member

apparently CR4 XL's only work on Slims now , i had about 12 unused CR4 XL's and i got a refund for 9 of 12. The remaining 3 were from ModchipCentral who refused a refund.

https://www.modchipcentral.com/store/home.php?keep_https=yes

i went to a forum called Teamx360 and they recommended a cool runner rev.c clone from orange city on DHGate.com , which i did a RGH 1.2 install and it still works after 5 months.

5. kreg

What is the cause of them no longer working on Jasper? Dashboard upgraded too far?

Some vendors list them as "Current batch only works on SLIMs". If I had a CR4 XL, how would I know if it supports a Jasper?

6. s8n

s8n Robust Member

i don't know why the chips don't work on Phats anymore , i think the reason isn't available to the public but i could be wrong. I have heard of people using the current batch of CR4's and either not working or killing the 360 , so i would avoid them.

that's why i searched for an alternative chip and was recommended the clone i mentioned.............

kreg likes this.
  7. zeruel85

zeruel85 Active Member

CR4 XL works perfectly fine with phats consoles.

If you want something cheaper I'd suggest a standard Xilinx XC2C64A (e.g. Matrix V1, old CoolRunner, or Squirt chips) and then you try R-JTOP. Here's the link:
    https://github.com/DrSchottky/R-JTOP

Tested several times, it works like a charm. Always instant boot (or 2 cycles max).

The '+' symbol is referred to the different but similar hacks. R-JTAG+ uses the CPU_PLL_BYPASS to slow down the CPU, which is 128 times slower than the normal clock, instead of R-JTAG (w/o +) which uses the i2c bus (through Hana chip) to slow down the cpu for 3.xx times the normal value. So, using PLL is far more convenient in term of precision, to achieve an almost perfect reset of the processor (the impulse is about 60 ns, for R-JTAG, IIRC).
    RGH2+ uses a different approach. While RGH2 uses, as always, the i2c bus to slow down the CPU (such as R-JTAG), RGH2+ uses a special SMC which incorporates a software slow down. Then the chip recognizes the boot process with a wire and start the reset of the CPU, so the downclock is controlled not by the CPLD, but by the SMC code, in the case of RGH2+.

If you want more infos I'm here to talk, 360 hacks are very interesting for me. :)

kreg likes this.
  8. s8n

s8n Robust Member

" CR4 XL works perfectly fine with phats consoles. "

im not sure that is right , as about 5-6 months ago i found threads on TX forums where people were saying they don't. Also on OzModChips site it says the below.

CR4 XL by Team Xecutor
    In stock now Current batch only works on SLIMs

they actually gave me the refund for the 9 CR4 XL's which was very good of them.

9. zeruel85

zeruel85 Active Member

I don't know why they say that it doesn't work on phat consoles, maybe they arrive from fabric with a new firmware (only for slims)? I can't really say.
    What I can say for sure is that there is no problem at all with new dashboards, as the CB is always the same, so it's not necessary to refine the timing attack for R-JTAG/R-JTAG+/R-JTOP.

Moreover, both R-JTAG and RGH cannot be blocked at all (for different reasons, but neither of two). The only way is like the M$ has done with the new Winchester revision, but not via software changes.

10. bearkilla

bearkilla Robust Member

can xenons still be done on latest dash with any of these solutions?

11. zeruel85

zeruel85 Active Member

You can divide the Xenons in two categories: those ones with CPU made in Canada and those ones with CPU made in Taiwan.

While the former are prone to the new RGH1.2, the latter aren't, and all you can do is grabbing the cpu key via UART, and nothing more (e.g. if you have lost the dvd key and you don't have the drive).

bearkilla likes this.
  12. kreg

Psshhh... overkill. I'd love to overkill a project :)

I'll keep this on my radar as well now.

I am not really needing something cheaper, but what is this you are showing me from github? Are you saying this is replacement code for the cheaper chips you listed? I'm not sure what R-JTOP is or how one uses it.

You guys are awesome! Price is not really a concern right now. Mostly interested in the learning and trying some various gear. I am interested in similar ways as @zeruel85 . But I will take caution from @s8n on CR4 XL.

Could the CR4 XL's that supposedly don't support Jasper, just be needing reprogrammed? Can they be reprogrammed with a recommended programmer? I have worked with a Xilinx USB recently on a GCVideo project.

This video helped me sort some initial thoughts and it says R-JTAG is the best if you have a Jasper. It is just a narration talking about some history and the difference between J-TAG, RGH, R-JTAG. It makes no mention of + versions. Maybe just out of date?

Is CR4 XL a RGH mod?
    Is it newer than R-JTAG?
    Is CR4 XL also a R-JTAG mod?

If I could do R-JTAG over RGH, would I not want to use R-JTAG instead?

The only R-JTAG concept I have seen so far is the Kit from Team Xecuter called the Stater or Ultimate. Does TX consider those R-JTAG kits as obsolete, and replaced by newer things for Jasper, such as Rev C or CR4 XL?

I looked over some Matrix products. There seems to be a handful. The V3 seemed to be a revisit of V1, and the V2 looked to be more advanced. I'm not really sure. There are just so many products out there.

I of course want to make another working system, but I really just enjoy modding. So I don't mind conversing some different gear, past gear, and comparing some history on what I missed.

Back in 2010 I did make one classic J-TAG the old way. I never have tried anything since. The video emphasizes Jasper and Trinity. I have a number of Jasper and one Trinity and thought I'd try to play.

Anyone have a rough chronology of when some of these TX things released? R-JTAG, Rev C, CR3, CR4, CR4 XL?

Anyone else hate long posts by question filled members? lol :)

13. citrus3000psi

s8n likes this.
  14. zeruel85

zeruel85 Active Member

@kreg: the link I gave you is the source code. You need to synthesize the timing for your purpose.

If you don't feel to do this, I can tell you to give a shot with RGH1.2 (its timings are already compiled) and Ace chip (they are very cheap and do the job flawlessly).

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

First link is the same person from this thread saying they dont work. With the supplier saying only had 10 faulty ones back.

Second link doesnt really say anything and no one confirms anything either.

OzModchips site does say it only works on slims, but interested to know why... as the hack is pretty simple - reset pulse at the right time. No reason why it would stop working on phats.

zeruel85 likes this.
  16. kreg

It is interesting. Would like to know more as well.

So is R-JTAG dead, gone, no more, just use a RGH?

17. citrus3000psi

Your replies don't always have to be so narcissistic. That same supplier that says they only have "10" bad ones says this "There is known issues with phat consoles but not the Slims."

Here is another forum post with "someone different" :eek:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/151857-Bad-run-of-CR4

I'm merely supplying the OP with information. Why don't you buy a CR4 and let us know.

18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Don't think narcissistic means what you think it means. But wasn't intended that way regardless.

That Latest link seems imply a bad batch, with people saying chip just dying, even in slims.

Ive installed Cr3 and Cr4 without issues, but dont have any still here for testing. But if it was a bad batch, then it wouldnt show anything anyway.

It does seem like no one really wants to confirm anything, as they want to sell what they have. It's a shame, as the rater function works really well to fine tune booting, which the clones ans Chinese ones lack.

Edit:
    This seems related and makes sense for an explanation. Doesn't explain the dead consoles/chips in last link though.

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/149926-Fix-for-Falcon-and-Jasper-CR4-RJTAG-issues

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  19. Flappyraccoon

Flappyraccoon Rising Member

I managed to find a non-updated Jasper on dash 7371. Did the Boxxdr JTAG method with the 2 transistors/resistors and couldn't be happier. You could always go on the hunt for one of those consoles although it would be way harder to find now. Much more reliable I'd guess.

20. kreg

I did that once. It was the only one I ever did, beyond typical drive flashing. Found a pair of them at a toy store that year on sale.