SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

When modding goes bad

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by jlosacco, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM.

1. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

I recently tried the VGA mod on my dreamcast, it didn't go well. I have done many mods to my older console, some complicated, some not. This one bested me.
    I attempted to attach my wires to the topside pins instead of the underside, because I'm stupid, and after several reattempts to solder/ resolder my dreamcast no longer works. It powers up but no picture or sound.

So in short, I broke me dreamcast. I was just wondering if anyone else has a similar story. Or not, you can just write "nope, you're just an idiot". That's fine too.

2. Lukew

Lukew Rapidly Rising Member

I ripped the D0 point apart on one of my Xbox consoles, was repairable though, just about.

3. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Rapidly Rising Member

broken a leg when overclocking my n64 i whas able to fix it but not in a way that allow me to overclock it :(

4. waiwainl

waiwainl Member

[​IMG]
    Extremely bad mod ;)

DeChief, AUSTIN PEYTON, s8n and 2 others like this.
  5. x12eece

x12eece Active Member

I ended up bricking a wii while messing with nand things and my power went out

6. lwizardl

lwizardl Living The Dream

back around 1998 my first attempt at installing a mod was in a playstation console. I think it was the 1001 model but could have been a later model. Installed the wires and chip system wouldn't power on. Removed wires and chip system still had no power. Had to buy another system

7. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

Yikes. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

8. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

That's a bummer. Thankfully your n64 is good though. Play some Banjo and you'll feel better :)

9. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

That sucks but at least it wasn't your fault.

10. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

Same boat with my Dreamcast, I'm just happy I'm not alone.

11. lwizardl

everyone has to start somewhere and you learn more from your mistakes

s8n and citrus3000psi like this.
  12. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

My first mod was a PSX, and I ruined it.
    Have ruined a couple of game boy Pockets aswell when trying to backlight them :(
    However I managed to succed in both mods some time after (with new systems) :D

13. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

That's very true. I've already done a bunch of other mods; s-video on my genesis, aladdin xt on my xbox, av out on my 2600, etc. This was just the first time I bricked a system.
    Thanks for the stories!

lwizardl likes this.
  14. jlosacco

jlosacco Spirited Member

That's awesome! Yeah, the best we can do is learn and move on.

15. s8n

s8n Robust Member

i bought a broken Slim PS3 that had no video , i fixed it in about 5 minutes with a video reset. Then i did a fan mod with a potentiometer and blew the syscon.

from bliss to devastation

DeChief and lwizardl like this.
  16. lwizardl

I have 2 phat ps3 systems I still need to fix, one was dropped and given to me free, other was a ebay buy with "no video" but when i powered the system on it was ylod then turned off. Both are backwards compatible models

17. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Indeed :)
    If you wanna see how bad it can go, just check the "Hall Of Shame" here on assembler.

18. Killah

Killah Active Member

Happens to us all sometimes lol I destroyed a few ps2s over the years one on the last wire of a modchip install lol

19. Princess-Celestia

Princess-Celestia Newly Registered

i semi bricked my wii while i was messing around the region settings i got it stuck in the pal region i can't fix it because don't have pal tv. i live in the US

jlosacco likes this.
  20. VerticalE

VerticalE Spirited Member

I had gotten hold of a gigantic custom PC tower that housed a then defunct computer used on an oil rig (for controlling unnanned submarines). Anyway, this monstrosity gave me the idea of custom-fitting every console ever made into one big box of awesomesauce. I bought a N64 cheap from a guy at work (this was perhaps 15-20 years ago) and ended up having a shitty time trying to open it. I no longer remember the details as to why I couldn't get it open but I ended up sawing the damned thing up to pieces. As I sat there with the poor N64 in pieces in front of me It dawned on me that I had no idea what I was doing - NONE - and that I was an idiot thinking I could assemble this into any working state. Don't remember what happened to the parts or the tower anymore...

TLDR: Wanted to make multi-console, gutted a N64, realized I had no idea what I was doing and promptly gave up.

jlosacco likes this.