1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Wavy jailbars McWill GG VGA out

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by korpse, Jan 7, 2017.

1. korpse

korpse Member

Hi all, just got around to finally installing my McWill board and LCD into my GameGear. I must say this thing is awesome!

Just something I noticed right off the bat were 3 wavy jailbars running horizontally, only when going VGA out into an OSSC, NOT present on the LCD replacement. I was wondering if anyone knew of the cause and had a solution? Is it the result of me using poor cabling on the CSync line or something? I removed all components McWill recommends, I am using an OEM Genesis AC adapter for power (mk-2103), as well as a cap replacement back a few months ago before I got the McWill Kit.

Here is a picture for the time being just to show you where they appear in symmetry - yes I know its not a fantastic picture, but I'm hoping someone knows what to do just by the location of these bars alone.

If anyone knows of a good title that has a nice static screen to go off of on the GameGear let me know and I can film it in action for better description of the issue I am having. I can take a video later on today since that can show whats actually happening. Thanks!

edit:

Here is a video I just took for better results than a picture -

Something else I should mention, which might be related to the problem, the Contrast Wheel does not seem to work as intended. Meaning, it either is all the way on and there is a picture, or I turn it all the way off and I lose sync and get zero picture. There is also no inbetween, which from my understanding should yield scanlines. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

Looks to me like an artifact of a badly shielded VGA cable. Have you tried a better quality cable? Does the one you're using have ferite beads on each end?

3. korpse

korpse Member

Hi AndehX, thanks for the reply. I've been in touch with McWill himself and he seems to be also leaning toward this same conclusion. You might be onto something by filling me in on the ferite bead thing - on the female VGA portion that is connected to the board, I removed the screw hole portion of the jack in order to plan ahead for space constraints in the case shell (see here)

Seems likely, considering I practically defaced the VGA connector out of my own stupidity... Thankfully they are easily available.

4. AndehX

I assumed a badly shielded cable as most issues relating to interference are usually down to badly shielded cabled. VGA cables in particular are known to suffer quite badly from interference of varying degrees when not properly shielded (ie. cheap)
    I'm actually using a VGA cable to connect my game consoles to my capture card and it suffers from ghosting artifacts. I'm awaiting a better quality one.

5. korpse

korpse Member

As far as that last photo I showed, that is basically a no-no, and I should go ahead and replace the connector, correct? Since the ferite beads are located in that area I removed?

6. AndehX

Ah i think you misunderstand.

These are ferrite beads (the round things)
    [​IMG]

The things you cut off were just the screw holes. Dont worry about those.

7. korpse

korpse Member

So, it turns out, I had the GameGear in TV mode. My OSSC was set to RGBS AV3 (which is VGA) 240p, when I should have been using VGA mode 480p mode by turning the contrast wheel, and changing the OSSC to RGBHV. There are no wavy jailbars on this setting, which makes sense since 240p would not be ideal for GameGears already strange output. We can mark this thread closed for the time being, thanks for your help AndehX!

8. AndehX

Not a problem. Glad to help.