1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Untitled Sega arcade project from the early-to-mid 2000s?

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by elgatotuerto, Feb 11, 2014.

1. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

I can't find anything online, but I remember a team from Sega headed over to America (I think it was somewhere in in Illinois) to work on an "ambitious" arcade game. It might've involved ghosts or aliens.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Did it turn into anything or was it quickly canceled and forgotten?

Thanks for your help.

I found something, though I guess it doesn't seem like it was an arcade game:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2017
  2. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

Lol they were making a game about Carbondale?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

Sounds like it. I definitely remembered the suburban Illinois detail just because it sounded so outlandish at the time. I don't remember details about it taking place in mall or talk of any weapons when I read the original announcement. At the time, I thought it was going to be some kind of light gun game.

The game kind of sounds like Dead Rising with aliens. I wonder if there is a connection.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

They had Psy Phi which fits the time frame but I'm sure you'd know if that was what you were thinking of.

5. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. WORK IN PROGRESS

I'm fairly sure "Carbondale" wasn't Psy-Phi, as none of the articles I remember reading about this project mentioned the involvement of Yu Suzuki. On the other hand, I do recall it once being suggested that after being cancelled, elements from this game - possibly its engine technology and portions of field location studies - may have been recycled for Condemned or even some titles in development at Obsidian. I wish someone was able to find the other reports that I'd seen regarding Carbondale back in the day, since I could have sworn the Alien RPG team made use of this research, though I'm certainly not saying this came out of that preliminary work. Considering how expensive it must have been to fly a Japanese group out to Illinois, my guess is that it would be in Sega's best interest to make something from its initial and large financial investment, even if the end result wasn't the high profile arcade release as originally planned.

6. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

7. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

I remember this article as I lived in St. Louis at the time. Shinichi Ogasawara is Sega's arcade rail gun shooting guru, not sure what he would do on console, Pretty certain, he did the recent Sega Transformers arcade.

Psy-Phi is a totally different game which I've played on test in Shinjuku and at the Chicago Game Works. It is a touch screen fighter.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

I guess this project disappeared without a trace. That's a shame. With all that research, Sega should've begun some sort of development cycle--even if we're just looking at concept art. I wonder if anyone out there knows more than what these old articles say. I remember being pretty excited for the project at the time. It sounded so mysterious.

9. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

thought about this again today

anyone out there have any info??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  10. pato

pato Fiery Member

But condemned was made by Monolith, and the only Obsidian game that I recall to be published by sega is Alpha Protocol.

11. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

It was said to be Ghost Squad. Whether that's true, I don't know.

Moved to arcade forum.

12. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

It's not Ghost Squad. It's a survival horror game about aliens.

I'm guessing unless someone tracks down Shinichi Ogasawara,, I'm not getting answer.

The product manager mentioned in the article up-thread is on Twitter and seems willing to talk, but wants me to contact him through LinkedIn for more information on the game. I'm unfortunately not on LinkedIn. Is anyone here on LinkedIn?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2017
  13. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

Then sign up. Don't use a proxy. I think you may have to pay to use messaging on there, though? That said, they offer free trials of Premium.

Considering most of the Hitmaker team don't speak English, you'd be better off talking to the SOA or Carbondale City reps, unless your Japanese is strong. However, it was reported as unnamed at the time, so the Sega rep is probably the better bet.

http://dailyegyptian.com/28944/archives/aliens-invade-region-in-upcoming-sega-game/

14. elgatotuerto

elgatotuerto Member

Update: working with Unseen 64 to find out some more information. I will let you guys know if we find out anything interesting.