1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Unreleased arcade game Primal Rage 2 now playable! (using a custom MAME build)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by skavenger216, Feb 14, 2017.

1. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

As the title says, Primal Rage 2 is now playable using a custom made MAME build specifically for running Primal Rage 2. Video of the game running on said MAME build can be found at

The game is interesting. It seems as if you no longer play as Dinosaurs, but instead play as humans who transform into dino's for certain combos and specials. I loved PR1 as a kid, and cant wait to get home and get this MAME build up and running to try out PR2!

Thanks to Owlnonymous for the video!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Kid Fenris, Fuel, lwizardl and 2 others like this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

The dev I know that worked on this is going to be thrilled

I dont mean to sound sarcastic either

DeChief and skavenger216 like this.
  3. skavenger216

i bet, PixelButts. He will probably be hyped that people are finally gonna get to play something he worked on but no one ever got to see really

4. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Spirited Member

I was a huge Primal Rage 1 fan back in the day. I always hoped for the sequel but we never got it. Hopefully some folks could bother to fix it's glitches and somehow put together the unfinished code. Thanks for the news!

5. pato

pato Fiery Member

IIRC didn't Midway tried to convice the developers to uncensor the Primal Rage arcade ROM as it would be censored by a copy protection?

6. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Wow, the animation looks awesome. It almost looks digitised but not? Hard to describe, but it's cool none the less.

PixelButts likes this.
  7. PixelButts

An article sent to me from one of the devs of it (who was interviewed about this for the article)
    http://www.retrocollect.com/News/cancelled-arcade-game-primal-rage-ii-now-playable-with-mame.html

Small quote from him for some cheatcodes
    Some extra tidbits
    I asked if it was ""finished" so to say" and he said
    And for one more fun part, he allowed me to share this
    16805311_10155514268420400_496137519_o.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  8. Fuel

Fuel Rising Member

Thats for the share guys, super interesting from the point of view of the dev.

9. owlnonymous

owlnonymous Newly Registered

Thanks for the share Skav! I was super excited to play the game. I ended out talking to Chris Tang for a bit today. He was really nice and offered a bit more insight to the game and the time it was developed. It sounds like he has hopes of improving the code and making it more available if possible. The hardware is based on the commonly available Capcom ZN1 hardware, which is PSX based. The problem is the the custom daughter board, including a hard drive interface and unique code.

10. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

Is this a dump of the one at Galloping Ghosts?

11. PixelButts

Likely

He's always open to talk about what he's passionate about. When I met him at Anime expo initially even then he was telling me stories about his work on street fighter and how they practiced combos as "bug testing"

He shared briefly the other night about how there was this other controller input that allowed one to modify the game data hitboxes timing and more with a third controller or something so maybe that could be messed with if found

12. smf

smf mamedev

If there is anything that I can help with then let me know. I didn't figure out how to get this running, but I wrote most of the emulation code that is running it.

There is a Taito ZN2 based board that uses PCMCIA cards. I know someone tried to port primal rage 2 to it, but they couldn't make it work reliably. Also the Konami 573 board has IDE. Normally it comes fitted with a CD based, but you could put a hard drive in it.

smoke monster likes this.
  13. snails1221

snails1221 Taiko no Tatsujin

14. smoke monster

smoke monster Rapidly Rising Member

This is really cool, I can't wait to give it a shot. I own the original giant PR arcade board, and while it isn't my favorite game of all time, it's definitely still a lot of fun.

How is Primal Rage 1 emulation in MAME? I'm not up to date, but I remember there being some encryption issues when I last looked into it. I live a world away from my arcade boards now, so MAME support would be great.

15. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

Very nice! I hope some will port this to the Xbox as well :)

16. skavenger216

You are correct, PR1 still has those encryption issues. Any attack that isnt a full strength attack will cause brown "blood" instead of red, some moves just flat out dont work, and some other issues.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017 at 5:15 AM
    smoke monster likes this.
  17. Kid Fenris

Kid Fenris Rising Member

Whoa, this is great news. And it reminds me of my favorite video game review!

[​IMG]

18. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

I thought this was emulatable long time ago. I know I seen a video of it on youtube. Well, it's great that this has been preserved finally.

19. MisterEnthusiast

MisterEnthusiast Robust Member

Oh, wow, and I thought that the way with Galloping Ghost having a fully functional cabinet was awesome enough!

20. skavenger216

You COULD boot PR2 in MAME, and it would show the title screen and menus, but as soon as it would try going to the character select it would crash. This is the first time the game has been fully playable in emu form.