1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Unofficial Everdrive N8 Compatiblity List

Discussion in 'Everdrive N8' started by SkinnyV, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SkinnyV

SkinnyV Rapidly Rising Member

I took the liberty of compiling an unofficial compatibility list for those of you who were wondering what will be supported once you receive your Everdrive N8. This list contain most if not all the official release (used Bootgod's cart database) but doesn't contain most pirate game. It is safe to assume that most pirate games with crazy mapper won't be supported, I also added a Nes Powerpak column to help compare the 2 products without relying on misinformation spread by peoples who never owned a Nes flash cart before but insist on making statements.

Anyway, it is probably not perfect but I hope it will be helpful to some of you and keep everyone busy while we're awaiting our Everdrive N8!

http://www.skinnyv.com/misc/Everdrive_N8_Compatibility_List_(OS_V9).pdf

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. staylor

staylor Rapidly Rising Member

Very good list. it is very informative. It seems to me the number of games supported really outweighs the number of unsupported games which seem to be mostly japan games. Awesome list, thanks

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Wouldn't just a list of supported mappers be a lot shorter and more efficient?

4. SkinnyV

Yes it would and Krikzz already made a mapper compatibility chart available, but this list was more targeted at the people of the official Everdrive forum that were not really sure what it meant in term of compatibility and were looking for a game compatibility list.

5. butfluffy

butfluffy Robust Member

i like the list. it's a lot easier than checking what mapper the game uses then refering to the chart. cheers SkinnyV :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

It's not really accurate to say that the PowerPak supports MMC5 games. It barely supports CVIII.

Also some games superficially working doesn't mean the logic is implemented correctly for non-trivial mappers. The PowerPak still didn't have MMC3 right 3 years after release (the last time I checked; it probably still doesn't).

BTW, completely unbiased here, I think both the PowerPak and ED have poorly engineered HW designs, and presumably poor logical designs going from the example mapper project files. "If it works, it works" though, unfortunately.

7. SkinnyV

You are right about MMC5, I actually planned on having Partially supported listed for those game but it got really late and forgot it (remembering my excel formula was a bit harder than expected:)). I'll correct this. And I know about some of the mapper's logic not being 100% accurate but this list is meant for peoples wanting to know what will be playable and unless you are a developer it will be good enough for most of them as it will let them enjoy their games and that is usually what they care about.

Edit: I corrected the list.

8. staylor

staylor Rapidly Rising Member

hello, i also noticed that beauty and the beast isnt on the list (and it dosnt work). Also with loopys mapper installed my karnov dose work both u.s. and famicom. other than that its a great list.

Scott

9. Emperor Udan

Emperor Udan Spirited Member

I don't have PowerPack or N8 at home. I was wondering how they were working. I mean are the supported games working flawlessly or some have some slowdown or else?
    And if some game are not flawless, who are they?

10. SkinnyV

As mentionned, I used Bootgod's xml database so it's possible that not every game is in there but I'll take a look later as I'm surprised this game would not be included. As of Karnov not working on the Powerpak, if I remember correctly it is only because one of the commonly found Karnov's rom incorrectly list that it use mapper 206 or 208 instead of 4. If you correct the header or find a proper rom it work without issues. I updated the list and corrected Karnov's entry accordingly. Thanks for pointing it out.

And nobody has the new Everdrive N8 Emperor Udan so your best bet would be to watch some Nes Powerpak video on youtube or check out the video from Krikzz showing his Everdrive N8. But 98% of the time, everything work as it should (at least with my Powerpak).

11. Emperor Udan

Emperor Udan Spirited Member

Thanks SkinnyV.

12. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Rising Member

Incompatible with only TWO games out of most I want to play/have(Uncharted Waters and Nintendo World Championships)? Definite buy. BTW, anyone have an FDS list or is it pretty much 100% compatibility with that?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  13. SkinnyV

Should work with pretty much any FDS games, I wouldn't worry about that.

14. MottZilla

You're going to confuse all the people here that are looking to buy a flash cart to bootleg their old games. You're right that the logic may not be 100% correct but the latter part is also true "If it works, it works". When people wonder about MMC5 support, they usually mean "Can I play Castlevania III?". MMC3 had some issues with the implementation of IRQs I know. Timing problems or something. Didn't Loopy make a new one that finally fixed that? I can't recall. It didn't stop the vast majority of games from being playable and most people wouldn't notice anything being off.

15. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

You can always use the translated Japanese version of Castlevania III that's out there since it uses a different mapper. That's what I've been doing.

16. SkinnyV

Yeah, good point. It's actually a superior version since you get the added sound channel of the VRC-6. I don't see any reason to play the american version when a translated version is available.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  17. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

What makes you say they have poor HW designs? I have no idea but I am curious as to how you come up with this assumption?
    Are you an engineer? If so I would love to see some of your work and designs on flashcarts to compare what a good design is as opposed to a poorly designed PCB.

18. MottZilla

Actually there are some differences between the JP and North American versions. Like Grant always throws a knife in one, where in the other he can only stab with a knife and throw a knife if he has enough hearts to do it. I'm sure there are other differences too. It is not just the audio.

19. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

Actually I consider that one a plus since it makes Grant actually usable. Some of the other parts of the game are a little easier as well (less damage from some monsters and you restart closer to the boss when you die).

20. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Rising Member

That's actually my plan, Prinny(love the avatar lmao). That and the translated version of Contra. It actually looks and plays BETTER than the watered down US release we got.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013