1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Thinking about picking up a X68000 Compact.

Discussion in 'Sharp X1 and X68000' started by Neoistheone2000, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Neoistheone2000

Neoistheone2000 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I'm thinking about getting a compact and seen that on the back of it it has the place for a Floppy Drive connector, would this be used to get the 5 1/2 drives on it?

Also it looks to have two expansion slots on the back of it would it be possible to add a hard drive or a Compactflash card?

2. Rink

Rink Member

Not overly familiar with the Compact, but doesn't it have two 3.5" drives built in? The original had two 5.25" if I remember correctly. Those I/O slots on the back are most likely Sharp's expansion connectors - which I've never seen used for much outside of Japan due to lack of translated information. In theory, they're very useful though...

Anyway, your best bet for a card adapter is probably an HxC floppy emulator wired on to the floppy connectors - possibly as drive 3. I've seen the HxCs working with the X68000 so I'd go with that.

Just my 2p worth - I'm more an X1 fan but thought I'd chime-in in case responses are few and fair between.