Thinking about finally making that Blu Ray Jump

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Apr 10, 2012.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Conservator of Knowledge

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I
    FUNimation isn't leaving me much choice everything they release is a Blu Ray/DVD combo pack.

I'm thinking about this one
    http://www.amazon.com/LG-BP220-Blu-...UTF8&coliid=I1P3DVCFK2W589&colid=CCG340VO82O9

I'm also going to need an HDMI switch, I'll need one between my laptop, my DVD player (which I AM keeping) and my cable box on top of the new player.

so if any one can suggest a good sub $50 4 way HDMI switch I'd appreciate it.

2. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P<BR><B>Site Supporter

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern I
    a) pay extra and buy a PS3 for games too or b) buy external enclosure with bluray for laptop and save some bucks ;)

3. Cyantist

Cyantist <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

GoH is going to go on a rant about Sony being assholes to their customers, I GUARANTEE YOU. Not that I disagree, They are assholes. just putting that out there.

4. GodofHardcore

I think we all know I hate Sony. why else would I only be looking at Pioneer and LG Blu Ray Players.

Unless there's another brand in the sub $150 range I should look at

5. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P<BR><B>Site Supporter

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern I
    Given as you can get an external bluray player for $50 shipped new or used PS3 for $100 then refuse to buy games, first party games, or hate sony more by CFW/linux PC it (especially as they make a loss on every console) I don't see the reason to spend $50-$100 more than you need to.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. GodofHardcore

Esata External Bluray? I only have an Esata port and 2 free USB 2.0 ports

7. Cyantist

Cyantist <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

8. GodofHardcore

Yeah the LG Standalone player is about $86 BUT I have to factor in the HDMI switch too plus the cables

9. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Sony BD players have touch panel failures. LG ones have a stupid high fail rate. Pioneer load SLOW AS SIN unless you get a 2012 model, and they're manufactored by Sharp now (same menus). Samsung's have firmware and PSU issues.

Find a Panasonic.

10. GodofHardcore

11. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

The Bluray playback on the PS3 is actually pretty absymal, so I've heard.

12. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

13. GodofHardcore

I have an OPPO DVD Player it does amazing upscaling. The Blu Ray player is just for those pesky funimation dual packs. basically it's get a cheap blu ray player or get left behind on Anime releases.

my first Blu Ray? Ouran High School host club

14. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

DO NOT BUY A PS3 FOR BLURAY!!

This is not some Sony hate thing either. The quality isn't worth it. If you want to get in to BluRay at the cheap end then buy the asian Pioneer player (I'll tell you the model when I get home). I bought one and it's region free for DVD with amazing upscaling plus will run all japanese and US BluRay discs. It's also full of features that the more expensive players have. In fact it does everything apart from 3D.

I got in to BluRay only a few months back and I can tell you that discs done well look amazing. Much better than DVD. THE BAD side is that some discs are done really poorly such as Ghostbusters. That looks awful on BluRay. Far too grainny. In fact my DVD version looks better than the BluRay. But like I said, when done right, BluRay looks fantastic.

Yakumo

15. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

"Far too grainny" I suppose you like those DNR Blu-Ray releases that look terrible eh?

Also the PS3 is a fantastic Blu-ray player. And the DVD upscaling is perfect. And it is still one of the best rated BDPlayers on Cnet. Especially when you can get them for cheap used let alone new.
    They were great when the PS3 was 500+$. And they are still great when you can get them for 100+$.

I've had 2 PS3's and an LG BD670 http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-pla...91_7-34468446.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody
    and used all for Blu-rays. If I didn't need a standalone BDPlayer for the living room I would use the PS3. Simply for the smoothness and responsiveness of the interface.

But if you want a good BD player on the Cheap, the LG BD670 is one of the best and it's super affordable. Plus it can play media(videos,music,photos) from USB. As well from various apps(though the apps i've all used are shit)

16. Yakumo

No, I don't even know any DNR BluRays. Just look at the release of Back to the Future. That looks fantastic. So sharp and full of detail. Ghostbusters really does look piss poor. Gremlins is another 80's movie that looks fantastic on Bluray. None of them look blurred, washed out or fuzzy. They look perfect. Heck, even my BluRay of John Carpenter's The Thing kicks serious ass. Honestly, the Ghostbusters BluRay release looks God awful. It looks even worse when you view it on a high quality screen.

all I can say is the one I saw didn't look all that great IMO.

The Pioneer can do all of that as well. the model I bought cost 9000 yen from Amazon Japan, that's very cheap or at least in Japan it is. I know everything in the US seems to be cheaper than anywhere else though for some reason. The model I bought was the BDP-4110. The cheapest LG BluRay player on sale in Japan is 7800 yen which is the BD630 however that's a bit turd to be honest. Very slow at everything plus seems to be missing some features. They don't sell the BD670 in Japan although they do have the BD660 but that is 11900 yen.

17. 7Force

7Force Saturn > PS1+N64

Ghostbusters BD does look like crap. Compare it to the Alien Anthology, for example, and it has a lot more mosquito noise. Hell, even the Nightmare on Elm Street collection looks a lot better, and that has two movies on each disc.

18. Yakumo

I know because I have the Nightmare on Elm Street collection Bluray and that looks OK as you said. Yep, a great shame what they did to Ghostbusters on BluRay. By the way, does anyone know if the BluRay of Blues Brothers has a good image quality?

19. windjammer

windjammer Spirited Member

I always try to go for the better, proven models from 1-2 years ago for all my consumer electronics. Not only can you normally get a good deal on end of line/ex-display stock but you know you've got a load of reviews to go though.

I will say in my (fairly limited) experience that sub £100 Bluray players are slow as sin... I recommend Panasonic, I have a DMP-BD45 which I understand can be got fairly cheaply these days.

20. spot778

spot778 Fiery Member

It all depends on the mastering, at this point for something to look amazing your looking at a 4k master at least.

Alien Anthology
    Blade Runner
    Red Cliff

Look flat out amazing !

for an example of overdoing DNR (digital noise reduction) which is used to "clean" up the picture look at the blu-rays of Patton and Predator DO NOT BUY THESE ! actors look all smooth and shiny almost CGI it's worse then the DVDs

Star Wars is also a miss, aside from the colour corrections and music fixes, these are based on a old master at 2k for the HD Disc format and don't sparkle as they should.

Check out thedigitalbits.com for great reviews of blu-rays and the like and if the titles are worth buying or if your old dvd will do

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012