SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

The "What are you watching?" Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by graciano1337, Oct 30, 2009.

1. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

I love watching movies. Especially good movies. I'm always looking for new stuff to watch. It's always interesting for me to see what different people define as required viewing, or movies that they wouldn't mind being stranded on a deserted island with. Guilty pleasure, influential, a movie that made you cry. This is a thread that can be updated as often as you want.

I watched a pair of documentaries today. "American Movie", which I thoroughly enjoyed, and "Nerdcore Rising". If you've ever tried to make a movie, watch "American Movie" really interesting stuff.

I'm about to put on, and probably fall asleep to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Also, I don't recommend "Taking of Pelham 123", the new Denzel Washington movie. It was not very good... Which sucks, cause I like Denzel but the movie just lacked a lot of explanation and ended pretty weird.

2. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Had a horror movie night yesterday and saw both

Drag me to Hell and Orphan.

Drag me to hell: was pretty cool, i love these kind of horrors about demons/religion and such and the atmophere was like the good old 80ties horrors.

Orphan: It was marked as horror but it's more of a thriller, nevertheless recommended movie to see as it keeps you on the edge of your seat and has a nice surprise at the end.

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

Thomas the Tank Engine with my boy soon to be followed by Bob the Builder.

4. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

It's rather average. The effects are top-notch and enjoyable, but the actors and jokes are way behind the quality of the novel.

Watch the original. Like w/most remakes, especially if it is made by Michael Bay. I am so disgusted by the new Friday the 13th, this is gonna be awful - just like the grose Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. :noooo:

Recommending movies, I would mention JCVD. I never liked or watched many of van Damme's movies because I think they are not very entertaining even for what they represent, but this one is quite enjoyable (for those who don't know: He plays himself, the actor, who gets mistaken for a bank robber in Belgium).

5. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Yeah, I knew it was a remake, so I was thinking, was the first one's story this bad? Doesn't something need to be pretty good to get a remake?

If you haven't seen Where the Wild Things Are, I would say it's a must see. Not a kids movie at all. And it better win the Oscar for cinematography because the movie looked absolutely stunning.

6. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Just watched Tokyo Gore Police with two friends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFKP9lB_F7s

This movie is beyond awesomeness. It opens your mind... the guy with pipes as eyes is just the beginning and even the police officer with a giant rubber-looking dick that can shoot people with actual bullets (!) is not the peak of it all.
    I so recommend this movie. It was indeed one of the most insane movies I've ever seen and I saw quite some Miike and HK trash crap. This is so awesome... and allusions on games / other movies are all the way included. A lot is taken from Starship Troopers. Furthermore among many others, there is a fake advert with an actual Wiimote featured: Two guys are having fun with a game that encourages them to cut a prisoner into pieces (I want this game!). The whole style is like the first Japanese Wii commercials and generally everything is shown with an extremely ironic undertone, like a mix of Verhoeven, Miike and Shinya Tsukamoto.

10/10, totally. This was definitely one of the best trash movies I've EVER seen. Wow.
    Some pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  7. Evangelion-01

Evangelion-01 Officer at Arms

whats that chinese movie with zombies? they play house of the dead in it and i beleave they are in a shopping mall.

8. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

I watched Ron White's stand up, "They Call Me Tater Salad". I don't like anything else on the Blue Collar Comedy tour but Ron White by himself was stinkin' hilarious.

9. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

House M.D all seasons marathon

And Seinfeld, ALL SEASONS MARATHON!!!!!:katamari:

10. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Watched The Godfather Part 2 last night. So good, but so agonizing. I've never seen part 3...

11. AveCrazyK

AveCrazyK Member

Halloween night invited a bunch of bros over and we started watching Gantz but shortly started watching Chocolate (Thai). Freaking love it.. Pretty good story, plus I love how Thai films are made with no special effects, no ropes, just skill and awesomeness.

We also watched some of Ong-bak.

12. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Did you see the movie Shutter yet? off course the thai version.

13. cez

cez Site Supporter

The only TV series I've been watching and enjoying since the beginning is House.

Moviewise, I've recently seen the second part of "Amintiri din epoca de aur" (Tales from the Golden Age) which is about urban legends from the Communist era in Romania and which I can recommend to people who want to get an impression of life in that period while taking everything with a big grain of salt.

On DVD I watched Ponyo for the third time in two months (just feel like showing it to all friends who come over), and Okuribito (Departures) for the second (OK and recommended for everyone interested in Japanese culture but still not very convincing with regard to directing and the scriptwriting - can't really understand why this one got an Oscar).

14. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

I really want to see Ponyo. I don't think I can watch the American dubs though, I think the Jonas Brothers are in it or something. I'd much rather read the subtitles.

15. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

WHAT!!!!T!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!eleventy!!!11111!!!

YOU MUST... It's probably the best of the trilogy.

16. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

The Godfather part 3 is the best of the trilogy?

I beg to differ...

Part 1 is clearly the best.

17. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

Clearly the bid is between part I and part III

They are both great.... But part III has more plot twists and you got Al Pacino acting better than in the two previous parts

Oh yes, and I omitted to mention that I deeply dislike Diane Keaton, and she seems to have less camera minutes in part III than in the other two... :p

18. alphagamer

The directing was best in part 1 to begin with...

19. K-Panggg

K-Panggg Familiar Face

I think we need to open a topic on the GODFATHER movies all together to discuss this, since we are being OFF OFF TOPIC here... let's end the discussion for now

20. alphagamer

Right!

On topic: I watched Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis

A nice French comedy, well worth watching.