SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

The Political thread ... rant away.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ASSEMbler, Feb 6, 2005.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

From now on all political discussion is confined to this thread.

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Should I start with the Preamble, or the Pledge of Allegiance.

3. Mr. Casual

Mr. Casual Champion of the Forum

So political stuff isnt allowed anywhere else, and people trying to "convert" other threads will have their posts deleted/ moved here?
    That...sounds...AWESOME!!! :happyhap:

4. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

*digs in* :smt045

5. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

I guess I'll pick the first topic then. I think we've all had enough about the US for the moment so let's talk about something we're all a part of.

Topic - The UN. Still viable or broken beyond repair?

Talk amongst yourselves.

6. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

UN sucked after the Gulf War. When Kofi Anan and his bitches started to take advantage of the Oil for Food Program it was nothing more than a place for blood sucking politicians to get money from other countries. Be thankful its located in NYC, otherwise it would've been blown away.

7. GaijinPunch

Anyone ever seen the Black Bush skit on Chapelle? Laughed my balls off. "UN, you should sanction me. Sanction me with your Army. Oh, wait a minute! You don't have one!"

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

Here's one that I've been waiting to post for some time.

ALL politicians are lying fucks ! There's no denying fact :smt045

Yakumo

9. SilverBolt

SilverBolt Insert relevant title here

That's the only way they get into power ;-)
    Just watch that soutpark episode about voting..that's pretty much how it is all over the world :)

10. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Like your country does not take advantage of Iraq's resources? Oh give me a break. The UN is still the de facto institute of multilateral diplomacy, even though their military power is somewhat limited by the participating nations. But if YOU lived in Bosnia, for instance, you would be thankful that UNHCR, UNICEF, etc. exist.

11. madhatter256

I support UNICEF, UNHCR, and the organization against landmines, because I know a friend who is a refugee from those parts and was damn lucky to end up living right next to me here in Florida. He told me the shit they experienced and what he had to do one at one point if you catch my drift. He was about 8 years older than me back in 1994, so once the Kosovo "war" happened around late 1998 and 1999 he took it upon himself to fight there, thats the last I've heard of him. He has taught me many things.

Other than that, at least with the USA, the Iraqis won't be taken advantage like they used to be a few years back.

Now I'm not saying that the UN should be dismantled. It can be fixed, just that there are too many greedy ambassadors and secretary generals in there and that they need to be taken care of.

12. madhatter256

I LMAO.

13. XerdoPwerko

XerdoPwerko Galaxy Angel Fanatic Extreme - Mediocre collector.

*STANDING OVATION

Bravo!

:smt023

Couldn't agree more.

14. kstyle25

kstyle25 Peppy Member

I hope you guys don't mind me using Jasons account to post this.

He's still away or I'm sure he'd reply to this himself. Yakumo I've seen Jas responding to your topics before and I've heard him mention you as being an established member of the board so I mean no disrespect in say: Once you paint a large group of diverse individuals with such a broad brush as to say all politicians are lying fucks, you lose all credibility in any statements coming thereafter...you might as well say all teachers are boring, all strippers are sluts, all athletes take steroids...etc.
    You get my point. Very bad members of any group can cause problems but that image cant/shouldn't be impressed upon the entire group. Jasons uncle was an established long time and well respected politician here in Tennessee and to say he's a dishonest fuck sounds rather ignorant to someone who's known him the 5 years we've been together.

I promise to try not to use his account to bother you guys in the future but I enjoy reading the topics from time to time and couldn't resist. Hope he's not mad

;-)
    Kristy

15. GaijinPunch

President Palmer on the first 3 seasons of 24 was a very honest man. :)

16. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

true but the danish social democrats rocks even when they lie

instead of that goverment they suck even when they are telling the truth.

17. einbebop44

einbebop44 Guest

UN sucks monkey nuts. Please reform immediatly.

18. Hawanja

Hawanja Ancient Deadly Ninja Baby

The UN is only as good as it's member nations.

Are they innefectual? From a miltary standpoint, it appears so.

Since it's been founded, it's been pretty inept as far as any situation that requires force (say, Rowanda for instance, or Cambodia, Uganda, Indonesia, or *ahem* Iraq.)

Even right now with wholesale slaughter going on in the Sudan, the UN still can't get all seven security council members to agree on the word "Genocide." Without that agreement no peacekeepers will be sent. Meanwhile people die becasue of thier inaction.

(BTW there are about 17 ongoing conflicts right now in Africa.)

However, in retrospect, you could say that by providing a theatre for the United States and Soviet Union to fight the cold war in, the UN might possibly have averted WWIII.

The Cuban Missile crisis? Without pressure from other security council members of the UN, it might have exploded.

However, I'd say that the UN has been a lot more sucessful in other areas, such as disease control (the eradication of small pox was in no small part due to the UN,) as well as aid to poor people, development via the World Bank (although many people have beef with the World Bank and International Monetary fund, but they don't complain about the free power plants) etc.

So, it shows a lot of good can come out of nations working together.

19. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

Each to there own but I still say and always will say that politicians lie ! They all lie about one thing or another to get what they want. If they don't lie then they twist the truth to suit them which I count as a type of lie. I know politicians too and they are lie or twist the truth to their advantage.

Yakumo

20. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Since the other thread got closed (fair enough I suppose), I'd just like to say that Hawanja's post summed up everything I wanted to say but don't have the ability. Also that Alien Workshop and Mr. Casual's personal insults on vegi-saurus ("You're just an ass with a computer", dumb picture etc) based on his political statements and preferences, was out of order and frankly fucking pathetic. Grow up, both of you, and learn to keep the personal shit away from the political discussion.