1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Suggested Everdrives

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by aleomark, Mar 23, 2011.

1. goldenegg

goldenegg Active Member

It's not a 32MB limit, it's a 32Mb limit. That's the problem with carts like the M3 Perfect Pro. That makes it very limiting as to the games it will run. The old carts which supported large ROMs are nearly impossible to find anymore. The EZ-Flash IV is the only one I've seen for sale in a long time.

2. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

I have the 64M USB, while its a great card it has as you said some hassles.

-First, it drains battery in no time, feels like playing on the Lynx with it, battery gone to zero in no time :DOH:

-Program to load roms on the card does not work with 64-bit OS :crying:
    -you need to power cycle card fast to load side b, the cart is split in two 32 parts :dammit:
    -Only one save slot, both sides of the cart shares one slot :banghead:

But its a good cartridge, could be improved though no doubt about it :nod:

3. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

Actually you are both correct, there is 32MB (256Mb) RAM on the M3 Lite/MiniSD/SD Perfect which is big enough for the largest GBA game. However the M3 Lite/MiniSD/SD Pro (Professional) which was mainly designed for DS games has 4MB (32Mb) RAM so cant run any GBA game bigger than 32Mb. There is no such thing as the 'M3 Perfect Pro':-
    http://www.m3adapter.com/SLOT-2_Accessories.htm
    You will be very unlikely to find anywhere still selling the M3 Perfect models though :shrug:

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Don't they still sell the 32 megabyte GBA expansion pack for the Slot-A DS cards? So you could use that for GBA games on the DS. It's a shame if the Slot-B (GBA) devices are all gone. I'm glad I have mine.

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

The cart port on the GBA allows up to 16 MWords (32 MBytes) of rom (flash), and 64 KBytes of save ram. A number of flash carts for the GBA allow more flash and save ram by having offset registers that can be set for both. The most ram you see (for carts that allow loading off some kind of card) is 32 MBytes to match the cart rom space mentioned above.

6. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

I use an EZ Flash IV in my gba slot and an acekard in my ds slot. AKAIO can load gba games straight off the acekard's microsd into the ezflash' onboard flash, works great for me

7. Bomberhead

Bomberhead Gutsy Member

Honestly. Neo Geo Everdrive would be awesome. Right now people are forking over $150 for the mvs 100 in 1 carts and another $250 for the aes converter. If there was an aes everdrive cart im sure it would make for good sales. even if it were over $200.

8. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

I think krikzz already stated that a NeoGeo Everdrive would be impossible to make.

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Forking over? Those NeoGeo cartridges are apparently alot cheaper than they would be if it weren't for them being able to source the flash chips for very cheap from old machines. Atleast that is what someone very smart here said before. Also the NeoGeo MultiCarts that are available now would be hard for any new flash cart to compete against. I got one awhile back for just over $100USD and it had almost all the NeoGeo games I was interested in on that one cartridge.

And as it was brought up before, the NeoGeo is pretty complicated and the way it is would be very expensive to make something like the EverDrive. And the market would be very small. Honestly the market for the MultiCarts isn't even that big. There isn't a huge user base of MVS or AES systems.

It would be a huge waste of time and money.

10. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Huh. Interestingly that takes me back to a discussion I'd started here earlier about the feature length GBA movies. About 3 or so were released, on non-standard carts larger than 32 MBytes. It means some kind of flash memory or bank switching was used to get around hardware limitations. Though the specific technical details aren't yet identified conclusively, and I'm not aware of any known rom dump attempt to have occurred (even unsuccessful).

11. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

There are 32MBytes of SPACE... but nothing stops the devs from doing bank switching. That's what those flash carts I mentioned do - they have a register that holds an offset to add to the address inside the space used to fetch from a flash larger than the space itself.

I've seen some of those GBA movies and cartoons, but have no idea about what specs they use either. I suppose if someone actually successfully dumped one larger than 32MB, it could be patched to run on various flash carts (different patch needed for different carts since they use different methods to set the bank switch/offset).

By the way, the N64 had 64MBytes of space for the primary region carts used for rom.
    :)

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  12. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

wow i just realized i started the gb/gbc everdrive fan club:lol: , nice:) . i didn't realize when i posted that so many people were like me and wanted one.:033::Rock:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  13. mrmagoo

mrmagoo Member

I'm all for a GB/GBC Everdrive too!

I currently have a Game Boy USB 64MB Smart Card but you can't fit many games on it and you need to run their software to put any roms on there.

I would also like an Everdrive for the Atari Lynx!

I doubt there is much of a market for that one but I love that battery guzzling portable.

If anyone knows of any solution already out there for the Lynx can you please let me know!

14. link83

Ahem ;-)

15. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

question, does everyone want the gb ed to be afull size gb cart, or a gba sized cart for compact use in an SP? would be kinda sleek all things considered

16. link83

Full sized GB/GBC cart, otherwise you would limit its use to just the GBA and GBA SP :crying:

Also, Everdrive's typically use an Altera MAX II CPLD, Flash memory and FRAM chips, and fitting SOP versions of all these chips in a GBA sized cart would be impossible. Also, if you wanted a GBA sized cart you would have to get custom cases made, since standard GBA cases have grooves at the side so wont switch the GBA/SP into GB/GBC mode.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  17. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Full size or even no GB/GBC support is fine if that's what's necessary for maximum GBA capabilities. I'm not in the GB/GBC everdrive club. :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  18. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

igor stated a few times that a GBA-ED wont be happening
    he much more interested in a GBC/GB ever drive

there are a few GBA carts with SD card support so no real need to reinvent the weel

19. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

personally if Igor could develop the board to fit in both GBA shell and GBC shell I'd rather use a gba cart since playing on an GBA SP makes way more fucking sense than using a shitty GBC, and having the cart flush with the system would be great

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  20. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

I don't care if the cart sticks out of the GBA, it's not that far out. I don't know why Krikzz wouldn't be able to have his GB/GBC cart run on a GBA? If the answer is yes, then I am in. While I own a GB and GBC, there's no shot of me actually using those fossils anymore. I would play his cart on a GBA for sure.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011