SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Strange XRGB-Mini Sound Issue - Help!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by mikespit1, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM.

1. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

Hi all,
    I've asked all over retro forums but haven't been able to find an answer so I'm hoping someone can help solve my issue.

I have all my retro consoles (NES, SNES, Duo-R, Genesis) running over SCART to a Banbridge switch into a Framemeister then into my Vizio M series TV's high bandwidth low latency input. This setup worked perfectly for months. I decided to try out some 4k gaming on my PC so I needed that specific input. I disconnected the Framemeister for a few weeks to mess with the PC settings. I did use a DVI cable to pump video and audio directly into the TV's input (this may be the source of my issue). Any rate I went to switch back the retro gaming setup from the framemeister into the low lag input. The picture displays perfectly, but there's no sound. If I switch the FM to another, any input on the TV, works perfectly, albeit with a noticeable amount of lag. Now, I've tested every component in my setup and they all seem to work fine, it's just that for whatever reason, the Framemeister can't send audio to the TV's low lag input. I've tested other consoles on the low lag input, they work fine, sound works no problem. I checked all the audio settings on the FM. I even contacted Vizio and they said it sounds like a 60hz sync issue which sounds reasonable. I messed around a bit with the FM's sync settings but that didn't work. My current idea is a workaround. Essentially, I'll get a M-M Euro Scart cable with audio breakout so I can send the video to the FM and the audio directly into my speakers. If there's an issue I'm overlooking with this setup please let me know. I'd love to be able to get my current setup working again so if anyone has any insight into this issue I would be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance.

tldr; No sound coming on TV's low lag input when connected to Framemeister.

2. lwizardl

lwizardl Living The Dream

if I read that correct you was using a dvi cable and if so dvi doesn't carry audio only video

3. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

To be clear it was a HDMI cable with a DVI adapter on the end. It did carry audio when I was using it for the pc. I am now only using the HDMI cable. I've tried other HDMI cables too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM
  4. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

It's an issue with the TV by the sounds of it. I read another article similar to this one about a user using a Framemeister on a 4K Vizio display. That user had the exact same issue. It's something to do with the audio signal not being the correct standard. Or at least I remember that being the conclusion.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 6:04 PM
  5. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

Thanks, if you could dig up the link that would be awesome. But yeah, from all the testing it seems like it's just that the TV can't understand the framemeister's audio. At any rate I ordered a SCART cable with audio breakout so I'm assuming that will do the trick.

6. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Enthusiastic Member

Have you tried turning the TV off at the wall for a little while? Might not do anything but it's magically fixed something for me once. Won't hurt to try either way.

7. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

you could just get 3.5mm to rca cable and plug it into the headphone jack of the xrgb... that way all the consoles you have won't need a breakout audio scart.(EDIT) just realized the mini doesn't have a headphone jack. WTF lol

8. AtomizerZero

Thats my number 1 issue with framemeister. No audio out. I assume it's because it's output is hdmi so, it'd need a dac of sorts I guess.

9. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

Ahh you could get an hdmi audio stripper!

10. AtomizerZero

That's kind of what I did. Got a Hdmi passthrough with audio out, scart in and hdmi in. Pretty nice actually.

skyway1985 likes this.
  11. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

I wonder what model that particular Vizio is, because I have a Vizio 4K M60-C3 from 2015 and the Framemeister works swimmingly with it.

12. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

Mine is a M55-C2. The strange thing is the framemeister worked perfectly for months. If I were you I wouldn't mess around with it.

13. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

I've had mine for about a year now, switching between systems in D-Terminal, SCART, and S-Video/RCA depending on the system. I wonder if there was a change between the C2 and C3 levels; I do remember looking at the 55" at the time, and the specs were somewhat different. One would imagine the components might also be.

My setup is Framemeister => Yamaha 5.1 A/V Unit via HDMI => Vizio M60-C3 via HDMI so my audio isn't even used via the television for all intents and purposes, but when I've had the volume on from the TV, I haven't heard anything particularly weird. Will keep an eye out nonetheless.

14. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

I thought about getting a receiver but I don't have the funds/space for it. Good to know that the issue seems isolated to just the TV though.

15. AtomizerZero

I just had a thought. Check to make sure the framemeister isn't muted!

EDIT: oh yeh, you tried it on another port and it worked... doh!

16. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

Yeah, I've gone nuts testing. Unplugged the tv, reset everything to factory, etc.

17. AtomizerZero

Could you do us a favour. Either type out or take a picture of what it says on "Full Status" on the "Status" option on the framemeister?

18. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

Yeah, I'll do that a little later. I will tell you the audio displays at 48khz or something.

19. AtomizerZero

Alright. Something else you could try is setting the output to dvi mode. See if you get audio that way.

20. mikespit1

mikespit1 Member

Yeah tried that. But when II set to DVI I get no output at all.