SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

GUIDE Smoke smell

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by kuja, Feb 3, 2009.

1. kuja

kuja Active Member

Guess this is the place to put this.
    Any tips on getting the smell of smoke out of manuals/boxes etc (Other than airing lol)
    Cheers.

2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

Generally this is done by putting the item inside a container with an ample supply of activated charcoal, or kitty litter. Of course never put the item directly on the media. Keep it someplace warm so the organics leave the material for the absorbing agent. You'll never get it 100% however.

3. DrDoaK

DrDoaK Robust Member

Wrap it in a tea towel and cover it in 'Fabreze' odour neutralizing spray. It works surprisingly well and only takes around an hour for the smell to disappear. Doesn't get rid of the nicotine staining though unfortunately.

4. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

Kev's right about the charcoal, and that you should never touch it to any substance used to aid the removal.

Febreze is horrible stuff and doesn't work very well, unless you are a smoker and have no sense of smell! I would not recommend applying it to a material that is touching the item AT ALL, especially paper. The substance will soak into the fibres.

Airing works a little, but not so much with paper, really. To be honest, if something has been in an environment THAT BAD that paper is smelling of it, you'll never get the smell out, and the items will be coated in tar and discoloured, anyway. You won't get that off paper!

Best answer - don't buy items that are heavily affected by smoke, and QUIT SMOKING! It is a dirty habit, and if you are a collector or have items you treasure, you shouldn't do it - at least not in the house!

5. kuja

kuja Active Member

I don't smoke lol. I just know I have picked up things over the years which have smelt heavily of it and I always think about twice; and never do, end up putting these items in my collection.

6. retro

Trade them in at your local games store, or sell them at a boot fair. You could try eBaying them, I guess, lol.

7. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

i wish i could Febreze 80% of the customers that come into my store. They all smell like marijuana. I get high just by standing next to them. :katamari:

8. retro

:lol: nice one!!

Do you have one of those air blowers in the doorway? Why not set up some kind of atomizer doobry to spray a fine mist of Febreze with that? They'd never know ;-) lol!

Oh, I bet some skint stoner replies to this asking where abouts you work :lol:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  9. Krypton_VII

Krypton_VII Peppy Member

Oh awesome. Where do you work, I should come. I'd fit right in!:dance:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  10. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

graciano and I work in a heavily drug effected area... -_-'

11. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

i saw a huge deal go down a couple weeks ago. a dude walked in with the fattest wad of $100 bills i've ever seen (only cuz I don't hangout with Barc0de)! then he walks outside gives this guy a kilo of somethin' and drives off.

a co-worker saw a frequent customer do a deal in our parking lot just the other night.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  12. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

Buy tazers and take his knot. He's a drug dealer anyways.

13. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

i might have better luck using my duke controller as a mace.

14. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Nonsense. The duke's have a tendency to break the cord off near the controller.

Now, using a duke as a sling like David and Goliath, that's another story. :p

15. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

Where do you work? :110:

Last time I went into a game store stoned I think I smelled more like Burger King.

16. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

i work at Blockbuster. i can literally grab movies from the drop box, open them up to check if the disc is in there and have the smell of weed waft through the air from the open case. :lol: and then there's the customers who smell like weed. their money also smells like weed.

17. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

I used to work at a Hollywood Video and i can vouch for this, id go as bold as to say the 70% of the movies that got returned and/or customers that walked in smelled like weed, not that i mind, of course:033:

18. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

so do the tips in this thread help get rid of the smell of weed, too??

19. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

Tell them to invest in a glass bowl or bong. No smell if they smoke out in an open area (like the backyard of mom and dad's house).

Of course, they could probably care less if you can smell them or not. The employees at Taco Bell always seemed delighted when they noticed my bloodshot eyes.

Edit: Whoops, you meant weed smell that sticks to stuff. Honestly, it won't unless all they smoke are blunts. If they use glass the smell will go away within a day, probably less. Just let it air out.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  20. Ed the Nerd

Ed the Nerd <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Man, there's nothing worse than getting a game off eBay and smelling something that could gag the Roto Rooter Man.:lol: