SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Sharp X6800, Sexyest looking computer from the 80's, any one els think so too?

Discussion in 'Sharp X1 and X68000' started by fasman, Mar 9, 2012.

1. blixa

blixa Spirited Member

absolutely gorgeous creation.

2. AnalogWinter

AnalogWinter Peppy Member

Yeah, this PC always had one of the most unique designs in technology. If shipping was not so exorbitant I would have had one of these in my collection.

^_^_^

3. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Does anyone remember the Packard Bell Spirit? the tower kind of looked like the Sharp but only silver, I cant seem to find any pictures of it though.

4. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

This is the one I was talking about:

[​IMG]

I always liked the look of it and fancied replacing the innards turning it into some sort of media/emulator pc type thing, but I was told Packard Bell where notoriously bad for proprietary components and fitting modern equivalents would be a bit of a problem, not forgetting the fact that I'm useless at things like that :livid:

Anyway, sorry to go off topic :concern:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  5. strikers1945

strikers1945 Member

Hi Guys i bought 2 x68000's fron yahoo Japan and have done power supply mods on them and they work well. Ive longed for one of these for years and now have 2 expert x68000's they are beautiful looking but i need help, does any one know what monitors would sync all resolutions other than the official sharp monitors that came with the x68000, the units were wedge to ship from tokyo to the uk, i dont want to buy a monitor from there and hope you guys can help me out. Thanks

6. neozeed

neozeed Spirited Member

Shipping is not really that expensive if you send by Sea, That's how I got my Sharp monitor.
    Only down side is 3 month wait.

7. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I have 2 X68ks as well as several FM-towns. I have a FM towns monitor but the sharp does not work well one it. Best solution i found so far is a LCD projector. Its actually easier to find a projector that have the proper multisync range that an actual monitor.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. strikers1945

strikers1945 Member

Thanks for the reply a fm towns computer is next on the agenda, thanks for the tip i have a projector already ill try it out, but wanted a monitor really, i know the shipping is cheaper by sea but the wait kills me i have done it once. ill keep looking for a monitor thanks guys for your help

9. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Grab a Philips CM8833 or Commodore 1084S or similar. The kind of monitors you used for your Amiga and whatnot will work with the X68000, although you may need to make your own video cable which shouldn't be difficult.

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I would imagine most games are 15khz, aren't they? In that case those games ought to work with any standard RGB-compatible monitor/TV. Of course you'd want to be able to play all games if you have one of these things, but I'm just saying; you could at least play some games that way.

11. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

That unfortunately is not the case. Some games also flip between 15 and 31 during the game. An auto sync monitor would be the best.

12. vectrex_rox

vectrex_rox Enthusiastic Member

Just received my x68000 expert ;) i love it

Just played some Salamander ... kick asssssss ;)

13. caius

caius Rising Member

14. vectrex_rox

15. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

i'd have no problem with ripping the guts out and sticking modern components in there, however i wouldnt do it to a full working system. and i'd sell / give the parts on to someone who needed them.

they are cool looking machines, something in design has been lost as of late.

16. vectrex_rox

yes you are right about design loss nowadays ... but designs belongs to x68000 and not to nowadays new crap ;(

17. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

i doubt i'll every have a x68000 to play with, just just looking at some of the designs from the 80s they knew how to do "cool" and "futuristic" back then although that may have been the drugs

18. vectrex_rox

i was looking very long for x68000 ... i reveived my X68000 Expert 3 weeks ago and yesterday my X68000 Compact ... those systems kick ass !

19. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

20. Baseley09

Baseley09 Resolute Member

It states in the auction that he got the case empty.