1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Paid addon - Donate if you want it on the site! Search...

Discussion in 'Bug Report Forum' started by Syclopse, May 29, 2015.

1. Syclopse

Syclopse .

The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.

Get this a lot as a result...

2. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

Search for more than 3 characters. Standard forum search.

[EDIT]

We can update the search to not have a search limit, but that will cost $50, plus $10 per year thereafter. That will bring our Xenforo yearly cost alone up to $80, plus server costs. It's doable if enough people donate when we turn the facility on.

There is an alternative - we add the facility to tag posts and use hashtags. We had tags before, and nobody bothered to use them - so the success of that option is entirely down to users correctly tagging posts.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Yikes big banner, I kicked in $100.00 about 2 weeks ago, perhaps use that for that cause.

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2015

The forum is neat, but it's crazy that software that isn't used to make money cost that much...

5. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Is there anyway to uhh... circumvent(?) having to pay for the upgrade? If not I would definitely pitch money towards a fundraiser for this.

-doulomb

6. retro

Much appreciated. I think we spent close to $1,000 getting the site back online. Not counting time spent on it, which we don't charge for, of course.

With 20,000 users, it's a shame that it nearly always boils down to the same few giving (relatively) large donations. If 1% of our user base donated $1 each, that would earn double your generous donation. We shouldn't have to bribe users to donate, we don't want to introduce ads and it's a shame that some use the forums as free advertising for their sales without donating a penny... but we allow them to continue to do so as we're not about telling people they MUST donate.

Forums are nearly always used to make money. If they're not, they use phpBB - and take the consequences. Whether it's a support forum (and good support keeps people buying your products) or a community, they invariably have ads, referral links, paid upgrades or tout merchandise that equal revenue.

Whilst I agree that some add-ons for Xenforo are quite expensive, those we consider are nowhere near as bad as some. That said, would you spend months writing an add-on that thousands of people will use, taking up your time that you could be using to make money, without charging for it? Likewise, how much would you expect a custom add-on to cost? $50 is probably an hour's work to most programmers. And it's probably the better option - because I guarantee most users won't bother to take 10 more seconds to tag their posts. And I don't fancy tagging nearly 50,000 old posts! lol.

Please see the rules:

Please don't suggest piracy. We don't advocate such behaviour here. Someone worked long and hard to code those add-ons - they deserve to be paid.

As I said, the only other way is tags, but nobody bothered to use tags on the old forum and they were in place for a good three years.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2015

I agree programmers should be paid their fair share, I'm just stunned at the lack of open source forums solutions.

Do you have the right to dig in the code and change stuff yourself though? At your own risk of course. The three letters limitation should not be hard to circumvent.

8. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Yes this was more the implication I was making. I figured it might be possible to find an open source or freeware plugin for this feature.

Sorry for the coming across like that.

-doulomb

9. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

This is healthy discussion. I am looking to see if I can implement elastic search for free in a widget box.

Syclopse likes this.
  10. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Awesome, thanks ASSEMbler! By the way any chance you might start making youtube videos again? To this day your channel is still my favorite of all time.

-doulomb

11. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

The problem I had was youtube began targeting all my top videos for "infringement". Since I cannot get written legal permission from defunct companies, I cannot provide written proof I have permission to use the items in a monetized video.

They basically are trying to kill off anything they paid to me, down from $150 a month to $100 every six months.

So youtube will never get more of my videos. I will make more however, just not on youtube.

12. retro

Open source is programmers doing it for free. It's also popular and a good target for hackers - hence phpBB isn't a great solution.

You're welcome to write your own add-ins, of course. Again, that means having the time and knowledge to do that - and if you have that, you're probably doing it for money for clients already.

I don't see what permission you'd need. People do unboxing videos all the time. You're simply reviewing a product that happens to not be for sale any more. Anyway... Vimeo? Although they've gone down the paid account route now :\

13. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Wow. I guess Google really is that kind of company these days. The kind of bureaucratic nonsense that requires you to get permission from defunct companies.

Well I'm at least happy to hear you are considering making videos again. Any specific hosts in mind? Perhaps Vimeo?

-doulomb

14. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Yearly bump. I think the video game community is referred to by acronyms that are 3 or less characters more often than not.

Search Results for Query: Apple G5 XDK

1. The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: G5, XDK

Digmac likes this.
  15. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Google.

16. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Good effort.

17. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Lovely this.

18. retro

Maybe on the new server, if the fundraiser surpasses the minimum goal. Hopefully more people donate less, rather than you having to donate a lot for once ;)