Saturn image file - no sound

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by Mr. Saturn, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

Hi

i got my hands on another unreleased Saturn game, but have some problems with it.

If you open the files in Explorer, it shows 42 files with 2,44MB total.
    If you go in the CD details it says 163MB, why the difference?

If you play the CD in an audio CD player there are 8 tracks (maybe CDDA tracks) which are not visible in the Explorer filelist.
    When you start the game in an emulator (SSF, Yabause, etc.), the game starts, but with no sound.

Any ideas why there is no sound, why the CD tracks are not visible and why there is this difference between the file sizes and the size of the whole CD? Or is it a problem with making an image file from the original CD, not copying the (maybe unvisible) audio files too?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Lum

Lum Site Soldier

CDDA is tracks, not "files" in the conventional sense. Different data structure. They can't be browsed in Explorer and certain types of image file don't include them.

3. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

So how can i copy the original CD to a format, that everything is included and is still playable in an emulator (with sound)?

4. Lum

Lum Site Soldier

Try a different disc image type. .ISO if you were using it, won't work. That variety doesn't support multiple tracks.

To be sure... Compare total size of the original disc with your copy. CD music takes massive amounts of space.

5. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

I tried it with .bin/.cue already and the .bin file has 187MB compared to the 163MB what the explorer says...
    But you still only see 42 files with 2,44MB in the filelist when loading the .bin

6. Lum

Lum Site Soldier

Hmm. I don't know then. What happens using a Saturn? Emulators could have bugs with the game.

7. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

There are many more things to a CD than just the files you see in explorer.

Do a RAW mode bin/cue in cdrwin and you should be set for Saturn games. The trial version should do it fine (cdrwin trial is only limited with burning, not ripping). DO NOT do bin/cue with imgburn or alcohol however.

Oh, aha, found your problem.
    Mount the cue, not the bin.

8. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

Can tell this tomorrow, first i have to buy a CD-R as i only have DVD-R´s left - and today is bank holiday here so i have to wait for tomorrow to test the image in my Saturn...

9. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

I can not mount the .cue in my Virtual Drive.
    I made an image (BIN/CUE) of the original CD with Ashampoo Burning Studio, no RAW-Mode options available.

I think the problem is the emulator, guessing the game will run with sound on a real Saturn...but this test has to wait until tomorrow.

10. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

No, the problem is the way you mount it. If you mount the bin, you only get the first data track (at best). The cuesheet tells the virtual drive how many tracks are in the bin image and where they start and end, so you have to mount the cuesheet. All virtual drive software should have no problems with this.

Ashampoo Burning Studio (ver 6) seems to rip RAW images, but it does not save pregaps at all, so your first audio track will start with a ton of white noise.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

Tried to burn the image today on a CD-R, game plays well on my Saturn, but with no sound either.
    I will now try to create the image from the original CD with CDRWIN in RAW mode, let´s see what happens then...

12. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

OK, i made a RAW-Image (.xmd/.xmf) with CDRWIN and now there is sound, crazy.
    Is there a way now to create an image (BIN/CUE) without losing the sound again, that emulators can play it?

13. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

What, xmd/xmf? Damnit, I forgot, there is some legal bullshit where a random company stole the cdrwin name for their own crappy burner app. What you need is CDRWin version 4.0. Here's a link to it.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/burning/cdrwin.cfm

This is THE de facto bin/cue ripper, all other apps have some sort of bug that makes them unreliable. For playback on emulators, MOUNT THE CUE FILE NOT THE BIN.

14. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

Tried it and get the following error:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

When i say "Ignore" errors, then he makes the BIN/CUE, but loading this into the virtual drive leads to no sound again in the emulator...

16. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

OK, i think i got it.
    When i mount the .cue file (with another Virtual Drive Software, as my VirtualCloneDrive software can´t load .cue files), there´s finally sound ingame...

17. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

The audio error is because the disc is unreadable at one point. Try cleaning it.
    With errors set to ignore, cdrwin will just replace the unreadable errors with 0s. Not the most elegant solution.

VirtualCloneDrive can't mount cues!?! Wow, I expected better from Slysoft... CloneCD is still the most accurate cd ripper in almost all aspects.

18. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

19. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

Haha, somehow I knew it was some unreleased title.

20. Mr. Saturn

Mr. Saturn Active Member

Just read the first sentence from my first post in this thread:wink-new: