SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

RIP Jory K. Prum

Discussion in 'Gaming Pioneers: Tributes' started by retro, Apr 25, 2016.

1. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

Audio engineer Jory Prum has died aged 41 in a motorcycle accident.

Prum started his career working for Jim Henson's Creature Shop before a brief stint at Disney Online. He then went on to work for LucasArts, where he was an assistant on all the Episode 1-based Star Wars games and Escape from Monkey Island.

Very unusually for the industry, Jory left LucasArts to start his own studio, creating scores, voiceovers, foley and sound effects for games and film. Clearly, he impressed his former colleagues, as they used his services. Other companies to do so include EA/Maxis (SimCity 4), Sony/989 Sports (various sports games), BioWare (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic), Pseudo Interactive (Full Auto 2), Midway (Blacksite: Area 51), Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom and Activision, to name but a few. However, his work with Telltale has been most prolific, including game franchises such as Sam & Max, CSI, Wallace & Gromit, Tales from Monkey Island, Back to the Future, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Jurassic Park: The Game. He even retrieved the original Grim Fandango audio over 15 years later and re-recorded it for Grim Fandango: Remastered.

He has also done work on feature films including Lost in Translation, Adaptation and Pixar's For the Birds - the latter earning him a mention in the director's acceptance speech at the Oscars. He also has three Aggie awards for Best Voice Acting, a Game Audio Network Guild Award for Best Dialog and a Sprillprisen for Best Audio.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-25-lucasarts-audio-legend-jory-prum-dies-aged-just-41

RIP Jory. Thanks for some memorable audio contributions.

2. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

What an amazing life, and so young. It is such a shame it had to be cut short.

3. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2016

Wow, I remember him, but I had no idea he went into the games business - when I talked to him, he was at the LA Creature Shop in Burbank, and was trying to archive all the backups from the old performance systems - which were mostly on 130 or 230MB MO discs, formatted for RISC OS (the old performance system was based on the Acorn Archimedes) and written in a largely undocumented format. It was a shitty job to give anyone, and I wasn't surprised when I later heard he had left and gone to work for Disney.

BLUamnEsiac and retro like this.
  4. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Absolutely tragic. My best friend was also killed in a motorcycle accident on April 27th just days after this...

5. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that. Scary things when the roads are often full of idiots.

jamespoo likes this.
  6. jamespoo

jamespoo Peppy Member

sorry to hear that when i was 9 in 1998 my dad died in a motorcycle accident

7. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

That's very sad, didn't saw the new back then. A game collector in my area died in a motorcycle accident last week, father of a young kid... I'm speechless.

8. plimdaddy

plimdaddy Rising Member

Wow what a ton of effort and work he put in. unfortunate way of passing, the bikers on the outerbelt way of 695 going 90+ always have been worrisome.

jamespoo likes this.