1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

PSX DESR related questions

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by pinepot, Sep 4, 2014.

1. pinepot

pinepot Rising Member

@l_oliveira: Thanks for the input. The games probably don't require input from a specific USB port when used with an actual PS2. However, they do require a train controller that solely comes with a USB plug. Apart from that, there's not much of a choice, except for the standard dual shock 2 controllers (DESR-10, and similar), which cut half of the gaming experience.

And here lies the problem... According to an initial press release by Sony Global, the USB port can handle "USB game controllers". However the Japanese manual only explains digital camera connectivity with regard to that single USB port. It also carries a note that, contrary to the PS2, only one USB port is available, and that it cannot be used as a hub... There is actually no information mentioned on USB game controller support.

I still hope that an avid collector with access to a PSX and any of the above-mentioned USB train controllers will come forward to elaborate on this issue. Interestingly, most people either collect/put away their PSX, or they use the standard non-USB PS2 controllers, hence I couldn't find any information on DESR models and USB connectivity online.

2. svotib

svotib <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Well, I do not have the USB controllers Densha de GO to test, but I have the USB controller Flight Stick Ace Combat 0.4. It works great with my PSX-DESR and no difficulties arise. DSC00392.jpg

3. pinepot

pinepot Rising Member

@svotib: Great!! Thanks a lot for that information! Out of curiosity, how is that flight stick recognized by the PSX? For example, do you use the remote or a regular controller on port 1 or 2 to navigate the XMB and the actual game menus?

Well, meanwhile I found a post in Japanese where someone is dealing with the same question (here). Although there were no replies, that person mentioned a couple other USB controllers (BEMANI) known to work. At this point, I tend to believe that the whole set of USB train controllers may work with the PSX as well...

4. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Tried a usb hub..

the PSX should run any ps2 software, iirc the physical USB port on the front is USB#0 if any software is going to pick a particular port it will be that one..
    I don't see any point of the devs making it only work off a particular USB port, this is extra work for 0 gain...

5. pinepot

pinepot Rising Member

@LeHam: The PSX USB port is 1.1 actually, according to the manual, but I don't have any detailed knowledge on USB standards. With regard to my actual question, I didn't mean to suggest that any of the PS2 games would "pick a particular port"... I was just wondering if those USB train controllers work on that very PSX USB port because I have no experience with the original PS2, its USB functionality or the various controllers available, and there is no information on third-party controllers compatibility or the overall functionality of the PSX USB port in the Japanese manual. At least not for my DESR-7000. Well, given the information I found so far, those pricey train controllers should work and not just serve as a brick next to the door ;)

By the way, you are running "thepsx" @blogspot, right? I really like that blog. Helped fostering my understanding for the PSX. Keep up the great work!

6. svotib

svotib <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

In XMB this controller will not work, it begins to run only after loading the game.

7. pinepot

pinepot Rising Member

@svotib: Thanks for the info! Well, I guess I should finally buy one of those train controllers and post the results later on :)

8. pinepot

pinepot Rising Member

And a little update here... Meanwhile I have received a PS2 Densha de GO controller (TCPP-20009) which I can confirm is working via the single USB port of the PSX system, despite the contradicting information in the PSX Japanese language manual. An USB extension cable is also working with the controller.

However, with regard to one of my initial questions...
    ...now that I got my hands on another PSX, the "rare" silver DESR-5100 with firmware 1.30, the above mentioned observation still prevails.... and I still wonder why those options reset.
    (btw, "rare" in terms of a ratio of approx. 25:1, in terms of white vs. silver PSX regularly spotted in Japan; your country and experience may differ ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  9. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

From what I noticed, mostly the "compatibility problems" have to do with a different BIOS ROM, the different video hardware on the unit and the fact that it has 64MB of EE ram (twice as much as a normal PS2 has) and IOP has 8MB (four times as much a normal PS2 has) so you should expect graphical glitches or malfunctions on certain games.

Also some disks known to cause issues with the hard drive are purposely blocked (linux disc for example could format the drive damaging the XMB and it's data).

10. pinepot

pinepot Rising Member

@l_oliveira: Thanks for the additional information. I'm not too much into the technical details, but I have enjoyed reading through the many threads here, describing various issues (and fixes) in terms of PSX specs.

For some reason the photos in the disassembly guide thread are no longer available. Recently, I have found a blog post (although in Japanese language) where the author is describing how PS2/DVD playback was successfully restored after cleaning the lenses and slides. The blog offers a lot of detailed photos (and decent Japanese description). Here's the link: http://chinu99.blog28.fc2.com/blog-entry-252.html
    edit: and another even more detailed guide with photos can be found here: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ajima1203/folder/427877.html

With regard to a question I remember from one of the many other threads about the PSX, I can also confirm that Laserdisc (NTSC) input via Composite Video is working. So does the recording. The picture quality of the recorded material "looks" just like the LD picture... I say "looks" because it's an analog composite source material, which is also why I didn't bother using S-Video input. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  11. Mauricio

Mauricio Active Member

Almost two years after the last post I have to say that I bought an PSX DESR 5500. HDD came broken, but following the tips here I installed a Sony 40GB HDD and now it's working with FMCBoot. It's a beatiful and impressive console. Too bad I'll never see his crossbar menu...

Now I'm trying to compare SMB performance with a regular (phat) PS2. As far as I tested (10 to 12 games), I can't tell the difference. Are you sure that the 8MB memory IOP really makes difference? Any game runs better on PSX (using SMB) than regular ps2? I'm using OPL 1.9.3 and also tested with OPL 1.9.4 WIP 866.

12. l_oliveira

There won't be any gains on speed for having more memory on the case of a PS2 console. But you will have increased compatibility as games won't fail due to lack of available memory. (network drivers and open ps2loader drive emulation code do eat IOP memory and if games are running too tight on IOP memory they may malfunction in OPL.)

13. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Homebrew software are known to use board-specific modules, which is also why it's sometimes necessary to rework them to work on the non-CEX consoles (i.e. system 246, TOOL). :(

In PS2 mode, it is limited to 32MB via the TLB.

I doubt it, as the IOP modules aren't meant to work at specific offsets in RAM.
    However, there was some fix for SIF DMA... so perhaps there is a hardware compatibility problem (or simply some difference in hardware behaviour), which is why there had to be a software workaround.

Speaking of the HDD, homebrew software are generally made to support 48-bit LBA. The DVRP doesn't indicate a lack of 48-bit LBA support and indicates the true capacity of the disk in the 48-bit LBA capacity registers... but accessing anything beyond 40.0GB will fail, which causes HDD.IRX of homebrew software to reject the disk.

l_oliveira likes this.
  14. l_oliveira

But you solved the issues you just mentioned with updates to the PS2 SDK. We just need to recompile the tools and they will work properly with the DESR units...

15. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Actually, I don't even know what the problem with the SIF DMA part ever was. We're still using the default modules from the BOOT ROM. But so far, I don't think that we've ever had anyone report any incompatibilities due to this issue.

As for the use of the board-specific files (which is probably the only real problem), it depends on what the software was designed to do. If they want to assume that the X-modules (including rom0:LIBSD) and are available, then the software wouldn't run... hence why it is imperative to use the PS2SDK modules, where possible.

The same thing goes for the FONTM file. It is used by the OSDSYS program of the CEX, but isn't present in any other console because most of them don't use OSDSYS.
    There is no direct replacement for this, except for replacing the whole font-drawing engine with a new one, perhaps based on FreeType.

So to fix all the issues that homebrew software have with uncommon PS2 consoles, a number of them have to be adjusted. :(

But in terms of game compatibility, I've got this feeling that the PSX should work better than the SCPH-75000 and later... if we assume that the SIF DMA issue wasn't a big issue. After all, it still has an actual IOP device.