SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

PSA: Don't buy DUO/DUO-R Systems from E-bay seller DoujinDance

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by voultar, Jan 4, 2017.

?

Have you bought a DoujinDance Duo?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. I won't now!

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

I came up with the new name for him.... DOUJINDUNCE! i just RGB modded my IFU-30 yesterday.... and my shit looks way nicer than this mess lol. not anywhere near Bad_Ad84 though. My nickname for him is "God Hand". Nothing against your work Voultar, its Awesome! but Ad's looks mechanically done like some factory wave soldering.... :D

2. GamesDoneLegit

GamesDoneLegit Member

Thanks so much man for the pic and advice!
    Tonight I'm actually seeing a friend who can help me out as I can't find my multimeter. Knowing what to do and look for is def what I needed though so huge thanks.

Sucks to find out you got ripped off but as long as I can fix it in the end ... thanks for the PSA here! Keep fighting the good fight.

3. voultar

voultar Rising Member

No problem! I hope you get it sorted. Let us know how it goes!

@skyway1985

I preserve my "God-Hand" for PS2 repairs. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

Voultar, ever considered starting up a Youtube channel? Your videos are quite entertaining to watch.

Digmac, smoke monster and skyway1985 like this.
  5. voultar

voultar Rising Member

This has been strongly considered. Though, I'm not sure if what I do (or say) would be very interesting to a lot of people.

6. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

well I find it very interesting. I think anyone that finds Jason's stuff interesting, would find yours interesting too

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Looks like he solders with his dick. Sloppy af.

8. smoke monster

smoke monster Rapidly Rising Member

Do it Voultar! Videos of experts in action are invaluable for people just starting out, and for those of us wanting to improve our skillsets. I've learned so much through the years from Jasen's GameTech repair log videos.

Videos of a Doujindance dissection would be practically community service too. You should get an award for this thread :D

9. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Enthusiastic Member

I had bought an N64 from this seller. The mod was a mess but no where near as bad as those shots. Still replaced the mod though.

skyway1985 likes this.
  10. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

How recent are the mods in this particular PC-Engine? I know he has done these for many years so it's worth taking into account that he may have improved if this is an old mod. Not that it should ever have been sold in this state of course :)

Just thought that it was a valid point. It wouldn't be fair to label him as a terrible modder if he had improved since.

Edit: How did you remove the epoxy without damaging the pins on the IC? :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM
  11. voultar

voultar Rising Member

No, he hasn't improved. Some of these mods are a few years old (2-3), while some are 2015/2016.

What wouldn't be fair is to charge a customer several hundred dollars for a "professional" service performed on a system that's been handled like you've seen in the plethora of examples I've given, which also, (big surprise) performs very poorly.

I don't care how much time has/hasn't past. DoujinDance deserves to be in full receipt of any criticism. Especially from the people who've had to meticulously undo his $400+ fuckups. Keeping this systems out of the garbage.

The moment you take your "skills" and apply them for profit, the game completely changes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 1:09 PM
  12. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Exactly like I said ;)

Though I don't agree that time passed doesn't matter. If he had indeed approved since I still think it would be unfair to label all his recent stuff amateurish. People should have the right to improve and redeem themselves. But I can understand that this isn't the case here and that's all I wanted to know, so whatever. Thank you for clarifying :)

13. voultar

voultar Rising Member

I guess when you've been in the game as long as I have. You lose any sort of apologist attitude when it comes to ripping people off with a grossly sub-par product. ;)

I'm just a cynical old bastard.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM
  14. GamesDoneLegit

GamesDoneLegit Member

Voultar, I totally understand how you feel -- I feel the same way about a lot of things in the hobby (arcade sticks being one).

So I opened it up, fuse looked fine, caps all look fine, and the mods look pretty clean.

I put it back together and it works!

I can't believe this, but it's possible I had my OG tube TV set to S-video and not video (it's a switch so there's nothing visually to tell you what setting you're on), and I might have freaked when I saw the red light on the Duo-R not come on. It took online reading to find out that the light doesn't even come on till you push "run" :p

For what it's worth, DJ was willing to fix it and return it to me at no charge. I paid $340 shipped for it if anyone was curious.

3 Questions for you all:

-Aren't Genesis 2 AC adapters supposed to work with a Duo-R? Mine def doesn't which contributed to my troubleshooting woes the last 2 days.

-I bought this in December so if anyone wants to see what a newly made mod of DJ's looks like I'm happy to post pics now that I have security bits to easily open this thing up. I haven't tested RGB yet though and I don't have a TG Everdrive to see if it works w/ the mods.

-Anywhere better than eBay to get an Arcade Card for under $60?

15. voultar

voultar Rising Member

Absolutely, take some pictures!

16. GamesDoneLegit

GamesDoneLegit Member

What specifically would you wanna see in detail?

smoke monster likes this.
  17. voultar

voultar Rising Member

Just some overhead shots of the mod-work in general. I've repaired a bunch of these with some being rather recent systems. It would be nice if he has in fact revised his methods as it will then become a game of Russian roulette for people who've purchased from him pseudo recently.

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2015

Impressive mod for a 6 years old!

voultar likes this.
  19. GamesDoneLegit

GamesDoneLegit Member

Do I need to take the bubblewrap off of the RGB and region-switch modded components?

smoke monster likes this.
  20. voultar

voultar Rising Member

Oh my. Well, your question has in turn alleviated any hope of real improvement.

Leave his bubble-wrap alone, you don't want to mess it up. Just take a couple of overhead shots like I have.