SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

PSA: Don't buy DUO/DUO-R Systems from E-bay seller DoujinDance

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by voultar, Jan 4, 2017.

?

Have you bought a DoujinDance Duo?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. I won't now!

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

Lets see some more Voultar

DeChief likes this.
  2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

I mentioned this in a thread some years ago.
    Blows my mind someone with such poor skill can charge this kind of money. I clearly under value my labour prices.

3. JonathanSeagate

JonathanSeagate Member

Well, now I want to puke.

Digmac likes this.
  4. takeshi385

takeshi385 Buy a Harley and get dragged by my kx500. Mad Kaw!

Yah you do, but don't start charging more. With your parts as cheap as they are I still haven't had to buy a decent programmer.

5. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

6. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

holy shit in all my years in soldering even as a newbie once myself never ever had a job done like that holy shit

7. takeshi385

takeshi385 Buy a Harley and get dragged by my kx500. Mad Kaw!

I could understand a a bit of super glue if you were soldering to a scraped away trace, but then again you don't put superglue on the point you solder to. You use superglue to route kynar or eleviate strain so you don't rip up a trace when trying to mount a switch or the like.

skyway1985 likes this.
  8. Killah

Killah Active Member

this is wild lol
    good to see you righting these wrongs Voultar
    your ps2 installs/other work are works of art

turfster, Helder and voultar like this.
  9. supersega

supersega I have 7 and a half PS1s in my room alone.

Looks like a signature SS job... right @skyway1985? XD

skyway1985 likes this.
  10. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

looks like you gave him advice sega just got to wait for the explosion :)

11. supersega

supersega I have 7 and a half PS1s in my room alone.

Advice? Noo, I'm comparing my terrible soldering jobs to DoujinDances' and sky's really the only person who's seen my bad work up close. Lol

12. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

I was fucking with you and said looks like ur work and that you gave him advice and what not nevermind I've seen pics of ur work sega anyways sure you got better in your soldering sega

supersega likes this.
  13. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

I have a PC-Engine DUO-R from DoujinDance that I purchased years ago. It doesn't have any region mod, only the RGB mod. Never had any trouble with it. Never opened it up though.

It's not really any wonder that he can sell those systems, there isn't a lot of competition with selling RGB modded and/or region modded PCE DUOs on ebay.

14. Kappa

Kappa Peppy Member

Mostly because more than likely he would shoot down your posts for offering modified consoles

15. smoke monster

smoke monster Rapidly Rising Member

I was shocked when I read about the DJ mods, because I remember years ago actually looking in to getting one. Without threads like this, we're all in danger of being ripped off. Thanks, Voultar :D

I posted about your write-up at the EverDrive forums and a mod has added it as a warning in a stickied thread about problems with Turbo EverDrives and DJD modded consoles. Hopefully this will lead lead to a deligitimization of his "brand" and direct people to more skilled craftsmen.

salva and skyway1985 like this.
  16. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

Whats sad is a handful of us that don't even sell mods do jobs of a much higher caliber.... so its not right someone should sell substandard trash and charge those insane mark ups. BTW Smoke keep up the good work with the packs!

salva, supersega and smoke monster like this.
  17. voultar

voultar Rising Member

Another Douch'inDance system. This was before he graduated to 2-part epoxy, and was employing hot-glue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hot glue is typically very simple, fast and easy to remove. Providing that it hasn't been injected in between and BEHIND pins, such as this hu-card slot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hot-Glue is actually one of the easiest substances to remove from electronics. It just takes a fairly weak solvent. I made a little video showing and explaining this while working hot-glue off of the 6280 (CPU) package to fix that god damned ridiculous ground on pin 29..

https://twitter.com/Voultar_Modshop/status/818548464757985280

smoke monster and skyway1985 like this.
  18. JonathanSeagate

JonathanSeagate Member

19. GamesDoneLegit

GamesDoneLegit Member

So I wish I'd discovered this thread a month ago.

Got a DJ Duo-R, have not used it in RGB or with a HuCard yet, but it won't power on as of yesterday. It's been played for less than 5 hours since I got it on Dec 12. Just haven't seen many sellers on eBay and his seemed the most reputable as I've been tracking these a bit since last year.

I eBay messaged him, and the page for my Duo-R says he accepts returns, so I'm not really sure what to do or what will happen ; Never had to return something with eBay before, but eBay terms say returns are possible.

Any advice for me? Assuming I can NOT get it fixed/returned by DJ, what steps should I take to troubleshoot?

Was using the power supply it came with, but the Duo-R will not get power with that or with a Genny 2 supply now. I'm in the U.S.

Any help is so appreciated guys!

I can tinker w/ electronics enough to fix a NES 72-pin (opening it up & readjusting the pins, cleaning contacts) but don't solder, although I have experienced friends who could help me there.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM
  20. voultar

voultar Rising Member

Can you crack it open? Do you own a multi-meter?

[​IMG]

Visually inspect the fuse and check continuity across it. Is the wire filament in the glass broken/unconnected? That's more than likely the culprit. Replace the fuse and try your best to enjoy and appreciate the work of the Douch'inDance.

Otherwise, even if there's virtually no cost on your end.. The last person I would send that system to is DoujinDance. He may decide to epoxy the fuse down that he replaces to ensure that nothing goes "wrong" as it makes its way back across the pond.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    smoke monster likes this.