SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

PSA: Don't buy DUO/DUO-R Systems from E-bay seller DoujinDance

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by voultar, Jan 4, 2017.

?

Have you bought a DoujinDance Duo?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. I won't now!

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. voultar

voultar Rising Member

Over the past couple of months, I've kinda came out of retirement for PC-Engine hardware repair. Quite frankly, I'm not very impressed with the quality of repair services from a lot of the fixers out there, currently. Several people have sent me PC-Engine systems modified and sold by the E-bay seller Doujindance. This has become a preservation project.

Save your money. You might as well put it in a brown paper bag and set it on fire.

[​IMG]

^ This is where your $450 is going. He employs 2-part epoxy to secure his cold solder joints. His poorly designed and incorrect RGB circuit along with the region mod is slopped together on a crappy project board and then insulated in bubble wrap. The 6280 (CPU) is also submerged in 2-part epoxy to secure his solder from pin 29 to ground (to circumvent region protection)

[​IMG]

That's a Texas Instruments 3 channel SD driver, improperly built. The RGB picture had a lot of jitter and reflections, as a result.

When I receive a DouchenDance Duo, I typically start with the Hu-Card side, removing all of the 2 part epoxy. Due to the nature of the circuit he slops together, his region mod may have trouble with Turbo Everdrives, even later revisions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I sort out the Hu-Card side of the craptastic mod. I move over to the 6280 (CPU) That's been epoxy filled.

[​IMG]

^ Lifting pin 29 and grounding it to the negative rail of that capacitor is completely unnecessary for ALL Japanese PC-Engine systems. Simply bridge pin 29 to pin 30 of the 6280 and be done with it.

[​IMG]

And this is with the system finished. I designed an RGB board for ALL PC-E systems that will do quite a few things. This system is outputting a 75 ohm compatible C-Sync & CVBS. TTL C-Sync can be toggled by setting a jumper on the board.

[​IMG]

This system was Coury's from My Life in Gaming. He spent a ton on this system. The gameplay he was capturing for footage was absolutely awful. Horrible coupling in the signals, everything was just nasty on the output side. I've made several Tweets about this. But I just want everyone to know precisely what you're paying for when you drop that much cash on a Douchin'Dance modded system. There's no excuse for this.

I have plenty more pictures of other systems, if anyone's interested in seeing them, too.

Hell, here's a bonus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shicky256, Helder, Doomtrain and 6 others like this.
  2. x12eece

x12eece Active Member

Tech gore WARNING! That was a laughable job he did.

supersega, sa1 and RedRingRico like this.
  3. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

@voultar Thanks for the heads up. Much appriciated to get this word out.

sa1 and skyway1985 like this.
  4. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime Geppy-X (PS1) Fanatic

Reminds me of Drakon but without as much hot glue.

5. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Intrepid Member

I do full replacement capacitors on pc engine duo console.
    I will up load a before and after.

6. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

Voultar, I have long told everyone to not deal with the garbage that guy makes, none of my shit looks that bad. and with the availability of modern drop in region mods, why in the hell would you still make such shitty ass region mods. i've fixed 2 consoles from him myself for friends, when i found out the price they paid, i cried inside a little lol.
    BTW Voultar, what do you charge for your RGB boards? i still need to do my IFU-30, but haven't decided on a board yet.

Digmac likes this.
  7. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

Wow, no wonder a lot of people have problems with PC Engine and my SCART switch. Mostly they say that they've got their unit RGB modded and they don't really know the details.

skyway1985 likes this.
  8. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Robust Member

What the fuck?
    How does one fuck up so hard?

skyway1985 likes this.
  9. voultar

voultar Rising Member

I've also received some PC-E hardware that was sold by TurboZoneDirect. Another E-Bay vendor.

Stay. The fuck. Away. It's more overpriced, incompetent garbage.

[​IMG]

The cap job on this thing specifically was horrible. A lot of pads were lifted and not repaired. Several caps had a lead that was just "floating". The electrolytic fluid wasn't properly cleaned from prior ruptures. Another big expensive turd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^ That cap in parallel to C909 is a big LOL. You need a good performing ceramic there if you want to take the edge off of the power rail to remove jailbars.

And as an added bonus. Let's not forget another E-bay PC-E warrior, OGHUGO..

[​IMG]

Good 'ole transistor amp on a TG16. Gets me every. single. time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  10. skaman

skaman Member

There should be a "Hall of Horrors" for these type of mods.

11. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime Geppy-X (PS1) Fanatic

12. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

These types of threads always give me confidence in my own modding skills. I don't consider myself half as good as people like Voultar, but man, I'm a hell of a lot better than these clowns trying to rip people off on ebay with this crap. I wouldn't dream of covering IC's with something like epoxy. Hell I'm reluctant to put hot glue anywhere near a chip for fear of having to remove it later and risk messing it up

13. rama

rama Robust Member

Some people just know no shame. I don't believe for a second they don't realize how bad their work is.
    Just get as many high margin mods out as possible, then change nick and payment processor.

14. Treecko

Treecko Newly Registered

sheesh
    it looks like he only ever did 1 very crappy mod job on his own PC-Engine and thought he could make a living out of something he has little experience for.

15. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Oh man this looks like a murder scene. Those poor consoles!

16. Noko Bombette

Noko Bombette Active Member

I've remembered the moment when I opened my modded Snes mini bought from eBay ... Now that seller keeps selling those but changed his eBay nick and reset his votes I wonder why...

17. Collingall

Collingall Active Member

What a mess, at least you were able to undo this inhumane treatment of consoles.

18. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Someone call the police, because that shit looks like a damn crime scene.

19. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Intrepid Member

These are bad mods, I still don't get why eBay sellers sell switched mod snes consoles when you can just use switchless.
    no need to cut the case at all.
    Most consoles mostly switchless unless the over clock switch.
    Even vga mods for dreamcast why don't they just get a vga box.

20. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If you're going to do a shitty job at something, you should charge a lot of money for it. That's what they always say.

turfster and DeChief like this.