SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

[PS2] POPS stuff...

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Yes, great, thank you very much.

I tried the new beta and is broken for the internal HDD.
    When loads a game he returns to the uLE, i used the new uLE_kHn_20160723 for load the game and also the POPSTARTER.ELF file renamed with the name of the game.
    I patched the POPSTARTER.ELF with DEBUG_AND_HALT.PPF and when loading the game
    the last line which appears is:

* POPS Loading*

Opening pfs1:/POPS/POPS.ELF... Is not POPS!

Best regards.

EDIT: I tested the emu by USB and works using the estandar way of loading, but using the formula
    of the modified uLE with the POPSTARTER.ELF fails to load giving the same message as in
    the internal HDD.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    AlGollan84 likes this.
  2. iCEQB

iCEQB Robust Member

I heard someone called my name ??
    Good to see you back here my dear friend ... I'm ready for more tests :)

AlGollan84 likes this.
  3. Jolek

Jolek Rising Member

Here is a Tomb Raider with new "ugly scanlines" launched through USB with new beta:
    POPStarter Revision 13, WIP 06, OBT 14.
    [​IMG](click on a picture to see bigger image)
    Here is without:
    [​IMG](click on a picture to see bigger image)
    Also new POPS has a size 144KB on my USB flash drive.
    Though it still hasn't got CD-Audio.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    AlGollan84 and krHACKen like this.
  4. truemaster1

truemaster1 Peppy Member

have anybody try medievil 2?? with this new version. it had missing textures and make it unplayable i have my ps2 in another home now. and cant test

5. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

I kept that had already functioning and so changed the POPSTARTER.ELF
    [​IMG]

6. Jolek

Jolek Rising Member

Can you for test try another flash drive?
    Previously I also have a similar problem with my other USB drive in my FAT (SCPH-50004) console,
    BSOD after launching game (ELF from uLe),
    one the other hand with my slim (SCPH-77004) the same flash drive works.

BTW in your POPS folder currently with new BETA (in some previous too) through USB,
    you don't need "POPS.ELF", "IOPRP252.IMG", "PFS_WRAP.BIN".

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Antonioks likes this.
  7. DaSA

DaSA Spirited Member

@Antonioks : does the OBT 13 still work ? Please try it again and report.

BTW :
    - I see that you're using a Kingston USB. Might be not a good idea.
    - You should also update your POPS.PAK to POPS_IOP.PAK. It wont fix your problem but at least you will be up-to-date.

AlGollan84 and Antonioks like this.
  8. Vedita BR

Vedita BR Fury-K96

All I had to do was increase USB Delay with ToolBox and it worked like a charm. I launch VCDs through uLE kHn, much easier than XX.Game.ELF method.

9. DaSA

DaSA Spirited Member

Got a bit different results than ElPatas. I could launch a game from HDD (Pac Man world USA) with no problem.

Cant make more tests ATM, I have a weird problem (I couldnt launch Crash Bandicoot USA with OBT14, so I went back to OBT13 to check : even with OBT13, result is the same : black screen, and debug screen went fine. Im prettu sure I played this game a bit with OBT13 so Im a bit confused now. Dont want to make false reports.)

Edit : found my issue. Was the VMC folder. Looks like POPStarter (OBT14 included) has problem to handle existing VMC folder :
    - I can launch a game if it has no VMC folder yet ;
    - If the VMC folder is existing, I got a black screen (IGR menu not reachable) ;
    - If I delete the VMC folder, I can launch the game again ;
    - For some odd reason, Pac Man World USA doesnt mind having a existing VMC folder and can be launch with no problem.

Games tested and affected :
    - Crash Bandicoot USA
    - Castlevania Chronicles
    - Castlevania SOTN (JAP patched to ENG)
    - Bishi Bashi Step Champ 3

Not affected :
    - Pac Man World USA

@ElPatas : can you try to rename (or delete) a VMC game folder and launch his game, to check if you have same results ?

@krHACKen : whats new in the uLE_kHn build ?

10. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Not works for me, i'm testing the game Jersey Devil (PAL & NTSC-U versions), i deleted the complete
    folder which contains the VMC's.
    Launched the game and returns back to uLE.
    But the most rare is now the emu do not creates the VMC folder!

I liked revert back to Beta 13, then i copied the POPSTARTER.ELF file in the Common partition, and i saw that in the instant i copied it, the file POPS.ELF takes the same size of 143 ks which have the file POPSTARTER.ELF!? when the file POPS.ELF is about 3 MB!

Then i deleted both files, copied the file POPS.ELF again inside the Common partition and again takes
    the size of the POPSTARTER.ELF file!??? this looks there is something which corrupts the
    POPS.ELF file...WTF???

I copied the POPS.ELF file in the POPS partition and the size is correct, seems that there
    is something which corrupted the Common partition?

I remember well played this game with the Beta 13 before update to Beta 14 and all worked fine.

I continue to try to discover what is wrong, but seems that there is some bug.

Best regards.

EDIT: I found in my case which is the problem, is when you copy the file POPSTARTER.ELF
    into the "Common/POPS" partition for some reason corrupts a file of the POPS folder, but can
    corrupt any file randomly!

In the first cases corrupted the POPS.ELF, after restored it copied again the
    POPSTARTER.ELF file, and then corrupted the file IOPRP252.IMB, and the last time
    i tried it corrupted the background file for the custom IGR, then the game worked fine, but
    when used the IGR of course the graphic of the background appeared corrupted.

If you copy some file inside the POPS folder any other file becomes corrupted, check the
    size of all files, before and after, when you copy a file inside.

11. DaSA

DaSA Spirited Member

Thats' really weird. I dont experiment this at all on my side.

May your POPSTARTER.ELF be corrupted itself during the downloading process ? So it corrupts your files into ___common/POPS/ ?

Did it happen only with the version patched for debug screens ? I hexedited manually POPSTARTER.ELF on my side, I did not use the PPF.

12. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

I downloaded again the file, copied the normal file without debug and corrupted one file, very weird really.
    If i copy the file inside another partition do not changes other files, but yes for the common/pops.

I hope kHn takes a look.

Best regards.

13. DaSA

DaSA Spirited Member

Again, different result here. I checked my POPS folder into __common/ : no file got corrupted after POPSTARTER.ELF copy.

But now, I can launch a game which has an existing VMC folder ! oO
    Only difference between now and before is that I installed POPS.ELF and other POPS folder files again (deleted POPS folder content and copy new files).
    So the bug I mentionned is not here anymore.

@ElPatas : could it be an HDD issue ?
    - Maybe run a HDD checker scan ?
    - Or delete your __common/ partition and create a new one, and test again ?

krHACKen likes this.
  14. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

I don't think the HDD have anything wrong, two days ago before updating to the beta 14 all worked
    fine with beta 13, this strange problem started when i used the beta 14 from the first time.

When i have a little more time i try to delete all the POPS folder and create this folder again.

The _common partition is a system partition, i don't know if i can delete this partition with the uLE WIP7,
    but i'll try also.

Best regards.

15. DaSA

DaSA Spirited Member

I agree with you. Just trying to figure out why you get so weird result... We need more report for HDD.

You cant delete it as system partition (named __common). You first need to rename it to PP.common, then uLE_wip7 allows you to delete it (I gave it a try just now, and was able to recreate it - and POPS is still working).

16. krHACKen

krHACKen Enthusiastic Member

Hello gentlemen.

So I finally found the time to try everything you've investigated. Including launching "Crash Bandicoot (SCUS-94900).elf" from the "POPS" folder and checking POPS.ELF for corruption.
    I'm sorry to say that my system is immune to all the problems you've reported :( . Everything I tried went fine. No black screen, no data loss/corruption, no problem creating/saving/loading VMCs.

The only part of POPStarter which open files in write+create mode is when it says "validating..." (it creates icon.sys/list.ico and checks/flags the POPS folder attributes). I've verified that all the files are closed when the tasks are complete and that all active partitions get unmounted before POPS is launched. I also recompiled POPStarter with more debug strings to check all the accessed paths and make sure there's no inverted backslash or double-backslash error. Everything appeared to be fine.
    I haven't updated my SDK or changed the drivers between beta 13 and 14. Afaik, I haven't changed anything in the main POPStarter code, but the portion which loads USBD and USBHDFSD from the MC in USB mode.

I did not try with an other HDD (it's the only HDD I have with VCDs atm).
    The USB mode was tested with a rubbish fake USB flash drive [Alcor 6989SN-GTA controller, SanDisk SDTNSIAMA-016G flash].
    Also, a WinHIIP scan of my HDD shows no APA error. I haven't tried HDDChecker.

DaSA likes this.
  17. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

DaSA e Jolek I just change the POPSTARTER.ELF the version v13 and works perfect, when I put the POPSTARTER.ELF v14 black screen opens on the same stick.

18. DaSA

DaSA Spirited Member

Antonioks likes this.
  19. Jolek

Jolek Rising Member

Could you copy all your VMC folders from a USB flash drive (eg: Roll Chan Colection PSX)
    to a PC HDD for backup, delete all your VMC from USB.
    Now try to launch new beta OBT14.
    If this method will not, please try another flash drive, like DaSA wrote,
    there was always a problems with Kingson pendrives and a PS2.

Antonioks likes this.
  20. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

I tried to stick with another one mano multilaser 4gb and also when I click the XX.nomedojogo.ELF file of the new version all this pops a friend sent me tested and was all ready to run, and even then the black screen, if I change the ELF to the 12.07.2015 it runs perfect, a friend tested with a ScanDisc pendrive and also had black screen when I run pops by smb network with the new popstarter ran perfectly. I'm using a ps2 39001, with FMCB 1.95 and Ule mod earlier this pack to open the VCD modified by krHACKen.