SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

PS1 SCPH-5501 Help

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by psydefx, Dec 16, 2016.

1. s8n

s8n Robust Member

TriMesh , i notice you have really great knowledge of PS1 consoles from many threads i've read.

how did you get to know so much ? ....repairer ?

2. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

hmm what else could it be?

3. s8n

s8n Robust Member

hi fx , have you tried moving the laser to the right when it's turned off then turn the PS on and see if it moves to the center of the disc ?

btw are you sure your friends motherboard is good , has he tested it and confirmed it's working before selling it to you ?

4. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

yes i tried that, it only moves to center. he said it was from a workin ps1 gutted for parts

5. s8n

s8n Robust Member

hmmm , if the MB is ok it's hard to say 3 out of 3 lasers are bad. Are there any bulging Caps on the PSU ?

6. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

no. i checked them, they look fine. strange..

7. s8n

s8n Robust Member

yeah this is a tough one , i did some googles about 30 mins ago and some people have a similar problem.

where's TriMesh , he's fantastic with PS1's

8. s8n

s8n Robust Member

fx , i was wondering if you have tested your PS1 PSU for the correct voltages ? ................. maybe some of the values are off or spiking.

9. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

how exactly would i do that? i was thinking maybe the drive wasnt gettin enough power from psu

10. s8n

s8n Robust Member

im not 100% but you probe with your Digital Multimeter on the points below , one on GND and the other on the voltage line.

[​IMG]

don't plug in the PSU Cable in to the Motherboard probe it , you may need some thin wire to fit in the holes or a resistor leg. Definitely as i'm not 100% wait for another member to confirm my method and the pic i found.

psydefx likes this.
  11. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2016

At the time the PS1 came out I was designing CD players, mostly using Sony chipsets. I got involved in the early attempts to reverse engineer the system (and especially the media protection). In the process of this, I learnt a lot about how it worked (and also ended up meeting some of the original designers through my contacts with Sony's semiconductor division). I was never doing full-time repair work on this stuff, but I did end up being the guy that people asked if they had strange repair problems, particularly those relating to the CD subsystem.

It's not so obvious on the later boards, but the early ones (PU-7, PU-8) had a huge amount of design commonality with Sony's CD players, and since I had the design kits for the CD player chips that included full documentation for all the ICs, example circuit diagrams and the source code for the syscon CPU even the bits that were different were fairly easy to figure out.

Basically, it's just that I've been playing with this stuff on and off for about 20 years. I never really got into the PS2 because by then it was becoming legally problematic to reverse engineer security systems, which wasn't the case back in '94 when the original PlayStation was released.

s8n likes this.
  12. s8n

s8n Robust Member

wow very impressive TriMesh , i had a feeling you have a colorful background.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017