1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

PS1 SCPH-5501 Help

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by psydefx, Dec 16, 2016.

1. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

i bought a used ps1 scph-5501 but the games arent being read. the spindle spins twice then stops. i thought it was the laser so i replaced it with a psone bam laser and same problem. any idea on what the problem is?

2. s8n

s8n Robust Member

hi fx , are you using original discs or backups ? ...........also does this PS1 have a modchip ?

3. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

no modchip. tried both retail game and audio cd. both same issue

edit: so i think the problem is the lid switch. whats the best way to test it? or can i buy one somewhere

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The door signal is on pin 19 of the mechacon MCU (it's the 44 pin QFP on the back of the board) - it should be about +3.5V with the door switch open and about 0V with the door switch closed.

I don't think that's the problem though - what you are describing is exactly the way the system acts when it cant detect the disc at all. Normally the first suspect is the optical pickup assembly, but you've already changed that. If you press down the door switch with no disc installed, can you see the lens moving up and down? Is there anything coming out of the laser diode (use a phone camera, since it's an IR laser you can't see with your eyes).

s8n likes this.
  5. s8n

s8n Robust Member

excellent response by TriMesh , definitely try what he has suggested

6. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

lens isnt moving up and down but i can see a red light on the laser eye. only reason i suspect the lid switch is because thats an effect the dreamcast has with same issues

7. TriMesh

Sounds like a bad BTL driver - it's on the back of the board, and the number is BA9392P (I think - it's the only one with heatsink tabs, anyway) - it can't be the 8V fuse, since that will kill the motor too, and it can't be a bad focus actuator because you already swapped the drive assembly. Have a look for broken connections and then swap the chip.

psydefx likes this.
  8. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

ok ill check. thanks

9. s8n

s8n Robust Member

maybe try and hard wire the door switch so it's permanently closed ? ............also you can use a multimeter to probe the door switch solder points and then press down on the switch , if you get a constant beep it's likely what TriMesh has suggested.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  10. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

so i ended up buying a pu-18 motherboard from a friend. ill try it out tonight

11. s8n

s8n Robust Member

sounds good fx , let us know how it goes

12. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

hope fine. i just got some s video cables to try it out on my samsung 40"

13. TriMesh

Honestly, that's probably the easiest solution - the optical pickups fail far more often than the main boards do that unless you have a good reason to want to fix that specific machine it's normally better to just swap the board.

14. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

well looks like i have 3 lasers for it now. the original ksm, the bam from psone and a new one i bought a couple weeks back (not a china ebay crap)

15. s8n

s8n Robust Member

after testing your new PU-18 and if it works out maybe give your laser lenses a clean and re-greasing the mechs with White Lithium Grease as they came out around 20 years ago. The original grease has probably dried up quite a bit , there would be a bit left tho.

psydefx likes this.
  16. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

yeah ill do that on the bam laser which ill use as my main one

s8n likes this.
  17. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

well turns out it wasnt the motherboard. maybe psu? i gave up on the mofo, just leaving it broke. f-- it

18. s8n

s8n Robust Member

bad luck fx , it's a shame it didn't work out. I have a PS3 here i fried with a potentiometer fan mod , i bought the console broken and fixed it with a video reset. Then did the mod and killed it , try not to worry about it .........sometimes things go wrong but most of the time they turn out great.

i don't think anyone has a 100% success ratio

stay cool

s8n

psydefx likes this.
  19. psydefx

psydefx Spirited Member

damn that sucks man. yep im not too upset about it as it didnt loose too much money on it. plus i got a psp,ps2 and ps3 for my psx backups

s8n likes this.
  20. TriMesh

I guess it's possible, but it seems really unlikely - if I exclude the ones that were plugged into 220V then I think I've only ever seen one bad PlayStation PSU.