SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

PC98 ??

Discussion in 'NEC PC-88 and PC-98+ PC-FXGA' started by rod_wod, Dec 17, 2012.

1. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

THE PC9800
    I know nothing about this machine but i have seen some cool game's like edge and Briganty
    i would love it if people could show me some cover scans and screenshots

1.is this machine worth collecting the games for it
    2.what are the best games
    3.are all the games on floppy disk
    4.and where can i buy them

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

1. Depends upon what you like but the library mostly consists of RPGs, adventure games, ports from Western PC games and hentai games
    2. refer to 1, Some titles I like are the Brandish series, Night Slave, Rude Breaker, Rusty
    3. 99% of games are on 5.25 or 3.5, very few games are on CD
    4. Japan, auctions only

3. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

cheers shou....i have seen loads of hentai games for this computer hence why i asked on this forum for infomation
    because i use a library pc for the internet and everytime i type in pc98 i get a load of hentai pics on the screen lol..

do you know a place where i can find pics of the covers

4. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

1. There are some nice games for it, but it is as shou says. As the PC-98xx series sold much much more then the X68000 and FM Towns you will find that the few games that are on all three formats tend to be much cheaper on the PC-98
    2. If you don't read Japanese then you are really going to struggle... I bought it for the Mahjong games that are on it.
    3. As shoud says most are on 5.25" or 3.5" floppy discs. CD-ROM games tended to be for the PC-9821 series (some hentai games, tend to be tri format, working on the FM-Towns, PC-9821 and Windows 3.1/95. The last models of the PC-9821 can run windows 98 so you can run Windows games including ones that can run Direct X 7, some of the later PC-9821 games are generally Windows 95/98 games.
    4. Yahoo auctions Japan mainly, although I have found them by going to various stores in Japan.

5. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

Thanks jamtex good information i think its cool you can use some pc98 games on a normal windows pc :)

but is the pc98 8bit or 16bit ? and also what is fdi and hdi how many formats are on the pc98

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  6. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

The PC-9801 originally used an NEC built 8086 CPU running at 5 Mhz, so it has always been a 16 bit machine, later models used a V30 (a CPU that NEC designed that was 8086 hardware compatable but was about 30% faster), and the V50 (a V30 that had the same functionality as the 80186). After that the 286, 386SX, 386DX, 486SX, 486DX, Pentium, Pentrium Pro and Pentium II CPUs were used. The PC9821 was geared more towards running Windows and tended to have a faster CPU in the machine, but there is not a great deal of difference between the two machines as the last PC9801 model in 1995 used a 66Mhz 486DX CPU and the first PC9821 model in 1992 used a 25Mhz 386SX.

The FDI format is a floppy disc image, and these can be copied to a 3.5" disc and used on a real machine.

The HDI format is a hard disc image file, this generally copies a section of the hard drive, it is possible to convert these to files and convert them back to files which can be used on a real machine.

One other thing about the PC-9801 is that is does run MS-DOS, although you can't run PC programs that use any sort of hardware, programs that use MS-DOS software interupts will work. This does mean programs like LHA (a freeware compression program) works fine on both machines, as a rule if the program works on the 32 bit version of Windows 7/8 in a command window it is likely to work on the PC-98x1. LHA is useful as it gives you an easy way to convert .hdi files to files and then to compress them to multiple floppies and uncompress the on the 9801 hard drive.

7. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

cheers more great info :)
    i have been looking at pc98 over the last week and i think i will start a collection i found some websites with screenshots of the games. also i have downloaded an emu witch is pretty good i have played briganty and Usagi na Panic these 2 games are pretty good.

But i can only find Edge in FDD format witch dose not work on my emu.
    it only works with fdi and hdi roms so if anyone could supply some links i would be greatfull :)

PC98 (INFO)
    http://www.pc98.org/main.html (A GREAT SITE WITH LOADS OF PICS)
    http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/screen/a.html (ANOTHER COOL SITE FOR INFO AND PICS)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  8. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

ok its been a few weeks now and i have been looking at the games on the pc98 and 88 and i like these games the most so i think i will start a collection.

rusty
    briganty
    edge
    esp
    entax
    galt rio
    Totsugeki mix
    doom 2
    games by 100%bio play well

can you buy these on 3.5 and 5.25

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

Depends upon the title, back when 5.25 was more prevalent on the older 98 models, you would see both but for some of those later games like DOOM 2, it's only 3.5 and CD but note that there aren't many CD releases.

10. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

i see
    are these games hard to find on 3.5 doom 2 / galt rio / rusty

11. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

I don't know the middle one. Rusty is always in demand as it's one of the few good action games, won't be cheap if you can find it. DOOM II should be easy enough to find.

12. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

Galt rio is a 2d shooter and its a pretty good one .
    do you know if games like chaos engine / worms had a pc98 realease.

cheers shou

13. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

Looked up Galt Rio, it came with a magazine and was made with the Shooter Tsukuru tool. Good luck with that one! Was hard enough to find Rude Breaker but I'll keep a look out for it.

Chaos Engine never came out on a PC in Japan. I think Worms just had a Windows release.

14. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

Oh good work ..so its a home made game then :( it may not have an actual release so i don't think i will add it to my list .

worms is on the Saturn jap witch is very odd cos its a great game i thought the Japanese would love it more.

i have more questions about floppy disc size..where can i get a list of games with the disc sizes i need to know witch games had both and dose it matter to you what size you collect.

15. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

My 9821 only has a 3.5 FDD and CD drive so that's what I collect on.

16. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

I see TBH i don't think i have that luxury i should probably pick up whatever comes my way in the best condition possible.
    i will be playing them on a emu and i see more 5.25'' then 3.5'' floppy disks anyway so it will be less stressful.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  17. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

Dose anyone know if you can actuly buy these games?
    Did any of them get a release?

PC9801
    Destructor
    E.s.p
    Entax
    Flame zapper kotsujin
    Burning dragon
    Last breakers gray nova aggression
    Kote de Mekuru
    Mety's snow wars
    Owl zoo
    Reise
    Sakusaku daigoutou returns
    Throw lance incite steb
    Weapons free
    Star striders
    Bakutotsu turb
    Nakkuru Kitsudo

I'm also getting into x68000
    Silkroad legend of gero
    Asteroid queen
    Battle unit 2
    Silsteel
    Choujin
    Diamond Explorer II
    Galseed
    Gardis light
    Cyberblock metal orange
    Kaizoku
    Pipyan
    Mikkun fly
    Bishoujo senshi moon fighter
    Scalet
    sabnack
    Bari bari attack 3 erice
    D-return
    Xadlak
    Zugya
    Danger Area
    Heavy Nova
    Bakuretsu Aniki
    Zero Master Striker
    Hishouzame Flying Shark
    Drive on
    Wind blast

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  18. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

These came out in a normal packaged retail version. The rest are likely doujin so were sold in a very limited form.

19. rod_wod

rod_wod Gold Member

Oh is that it.
    do doujin games have full artwork and plastic box?

20. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

judging from couple I kept as the souvenir they are complete with box large plastic VHS box type as well as artwork and manual...
    of coz they will differ who made them in the first place

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013