1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Oddly this is the best forum... I think?

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by DevHackr, Feb 6, 2017.

1. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

Hello! I have purchased a PSX DVR/PS2 unit. I have enjoyed quite a bit messing with it. However American and Japanese TVs are different. Many know to get a famicom on an american TV you need to tune to channel 95.

However, I need to go in reverse. I would like to use the coaxial connectors in the back to tune in to my atari 2600 and other RF based games. But what do you over in Japan do when you want to play american games on Japanese TVs? If you were to hook an american nes into a PSX, what channel would correspond to the American 3/4?

2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Well... you don't, I guess. Whenever I needed to play an American console that had RF like the Intellivision, I used this tiny LG LCD TV that I'd brought with me from Australia (I was using it as my PC monitor at the time). It accepted almost everything, even a Famicom through RF.

If you don't have a TV like that, I don't know how else you could fix the problem. Other than modding your RF consoles for composite of course.

3. DevHackr

I had used a VCR prior to this. RF in to channel 3/4, output via composite. I wanted to try to use the psx the same way

works great for a standard famicom on japanese channel 1

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017
  4. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

@DevHackr, please PM me immediately. Better still, read my PM that I sent you in November. You know when the envelope at the top of the forums lights up? That means you have a PM - read it!

I've left messages on the Prototopia thread and the Prototopia 2.0 thread. If you don't contact me when you next log in, I will be removing the link to Prototopia due to security concerns. If you continue to ignore me, I will be forced to disable your account for security reasons until you can be bothered to reply. I shouldn't have to chase you all over the forum and e-mail you, and still be ignored. This concerns your personal safety online.

p.s. I've merged your double posts.

5. DevHackr

I know I got many, many messages from you. I already found some vulnerabilities prior to this and have altered the account such

6. retro

Then have the courtesy to reply, rather than continuing to ignore them. This is a serious issue.

You use the same password EVERYWHERE. We have been shown evidence that a hacker DOES have your password and access to a lot of your accounts. Including Prototopia. This means that any / all files could potentially have been altered. I'm not saying they are... but it's possible.

7. xmog123x

xmog123x Peppy Member

so wait, assemblergames stores your password in some database?

8. retro

All sites you log into store your password encrypted in their database. You wouldn't be able to log in if it didn't.

DevHackr - manual tune the television. I never understood why Americans were so lazy and thought all channels come pre-programmed. Everywhere else uses an auto search. Or mod the console for composite / s-video, yes.

9. DevHackr

I did use the adjustment feature on most ranges. I used google translate to navigate the menus until I figured most of it, but those ranges still are too different of a broadcast signal. The good news though is that once I programmed in channels 1&2 it works great as a demodulator for Japanese consoles! I can also get a chunk of FM radio on it too

10. xmog123x

xmog123x Peppy Member

If a website stores your actual password in a database and not a hashed version of it with some encryption algorythm, that only the user can input, then that is a very big design flaw and should be fixed immediately. I asked because you clearly stated that he uses the same password, that means that you somehow must know it/have access to it, ergo any hacker who breaks into the database can have it.