New Iwata Asks: 3D GBA SP and 3D Screen for GameCube!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by link83, Jan 7, 2011.

1. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

New "Iwata Asks" interview here:-
    http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview.html#/how-nintendo-3ds-made/
    Interesting discussion about Virtual Boy on page 2. Also on page 3 it seems there was a prototype Game Boy Advance SP with 3D screen:-
    Also, although we have known for quite some time that the GameCube could do 3D visuals, it wasnt clear exactly how this would have been achieved. Iwata explains that it would have used a 3D LCD screen accessory and that there was a 3D version of Luigi's Mansion fully playable:-

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. subbie

subbie Moderator Staff Member

the part I find interesting is they have this 3D version of Luigi's Mansion already built yet it didn't cross their mind to have it ported and sold with the 3DS (wouldn't cost them much and giving it for free would go over well).

3. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I bet we're going to see that version of Luigi's Mansion as a launch title

4. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Doubt it will be a launch title but it would be nice to see it in the future! I think its one of the Gamecubes underrated titles. I really enjoyed it when I first got my Gamecube

5. Shadowlayer

Yeah I got it with my DOL-001 GC too, not that there was a lot to choose from, completed the game in a couple days and never played it again.

Not that it was bad, just not in my alley...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  6. JamesMichael

Yeah I never played it again but if they added some content and re-released it on the 3DS I'd get it. I agree about the Gamecube not having not much to choose from to start with. I remember getting LM, Wave race and Super Monkey Ball on launch day and then a few days later thinking what the hell? I actually went to mid night launch to get mine and got loads of free stuff. Got this VHS video showing upcoming games which at the time hold my faith but my Gamecube in the end got no where near as much play time clocked as the N64.

7. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Nevertheless I think the GameCube was a much better console software-wise than the N64. There were lots of great Nintendo titles, at least as much as on the N64, but opposed to the predecessor, 3rd party developers did a great job too.
    I'll admit that the GC pad added a big part of the fun, without a doubt it is the most ergonomic gamepad in history right next to Xbox 360 and... not sure.

8. JamesMichael

Nintendo brought out the games for the Gamecube. I recently got back in to Pikmin 1 and 2. They are proper amazing games. But tbh other than the standard Nintendo gems there wasn't much else. I guess for me I missed Rares input to making first party games. They made some real classics for me on the N64. Such a shame whats happened to them in recent years

9. Shadowlayer

Haha man I feel your pain, bought this shitty non-combat flight sim and toy commander with my DC, because those were the only games left in the shop. Boy did those sucked!

Anyways, on my GC I waited a little longer and got Pikmin and Rogue Leader, both great games:thumbsup:

10. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Capcom did good stuff on the Gamecube. RE4 is the obvious highlight, my favourite game on the platform without doubt.

11. 7Force

7Force Saturn > PS1+N64

RE4 was great, but Viewtiful Joe was even better. Definitely one of my favorite last gen games.

12. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Luigi's Mansion show up as a Club Nintendo title.

13. Taucias

Taucias TIGERRRRRR!

This is a pretty interesting article. I take it as being something new Nintendo are experimenting with? Hopefully they touch on more historical stuff in the next "issue".

14. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

"Iwata Asks" is not a new thing:-
    http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/index.jsp
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata_asks_12108.html
    There are even more interviews that dont appear to be listed there - You have a lot of catching up to do!

To me this is the most interesting interview:-
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_zelda_handheld_history_15603_15604.html
    As it revealed pictures of some of the original design documents for Famicom Zelda:-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  15. lvsteven

lvsteven Robust Member

Sorta makes me think:

Did nintendo put THAT MUCH into luigis mansion that they had a 3d version before there were 3d tv sets.

Then they go and hand us freaking Mario sunshine.

Thanks. Really.

16. Taucias

Taucias TIGERRRRRR!

It's a great read knowing that these guys are so close and have so many fond memories of their games. They seem very down to earth.

17. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I've never understood the antipathy there. It wasn't another Super Mario 64, but it was still a great game.

They do. All those articles are genuinely interesting, it's great that they made them.

18. joehax

joehax Robust Member

When Iwata says you needed to attach the GC to a special LCD, does he really means a 3D TV? Or was it some other peripheral that was required on-top of a 3D TV?

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If they made a 3D Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS, I would probably explode.