SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Need help with Sony GDM-W900

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Kokonoe, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Kokonoe

Kokonoe Rising Member

So I recently managed to obtain one of these as seen in this picture.
    [​IMG]

So although It's absolutely amazing for PC gaming and Dolphin usage, I found out it had BNC connectors much to my surprise. I tried hooking up a PS2 via Component and that wouldn't work, then via composite which didn't work, then via Wii with Component cables, and that worked except the screen was only green.

I found in the manual it states:
    Code:
    Input
    R/G/B: 75 , 0.714 Vp-p, positive
    HD/VD or Composite sync
    Sync-on-green: 0.286 Vp-p,
    negative
    So my question is, is component video possible on this monitor? I'm kinda curious why the PS2 didn't work with composite, though...

2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime Geppy-X (PS1) Fanatic

Looks like it accepts only RGBHV, RGBS, and RGsB (sync on green). You can use your PS2 with the sync on green input. Set the PS2 to RGB mode in the system configuration, load up a game in 480p or higher, and viola! PS2 in sync on green mode. You may need another display with composite video inputs to navigate the 480p menus. Also composite video won't work because it doesn't accept it. Doesn't mention it at least from the info you gave us.

When you tested the PS2, was it set to 480p? If not then the monitor probably doesn't support 480i. This would explain why your Wii gave a picture if it was set to 480p. I have a Dell ST2210 LCD 1080p monitor and it accepts both YPbPr and RGB (RGBHV and RGsB) over the VGA connector. I have to manually select between the color formats in the menus though. Anyhow, it displays a green image like you described when fed a YPbPr signal in RGB mode. To use the Wii, you'll need a YPbPr to RGB converter. As for the PS2, I recommend forcing 480i-only games to run in 480p using GS Mode Selector if your PS2 can run homebrew.

Hope my info helps even if some of it may be incorrect (I'm 99% sure it's right though).

Kokonoe likes this.
  3. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

For the wii it's only software that prevents rgb on ntsc consoles.

Kokonoe likes this.
  4. Kokonoe

Kokonoe Rising Member

Appreciate the help guys, however, now I have another dilemma. I bought a Display Port to VGA adapter and I can only get 1080p out of it which gives me black bars that take up a huge portion of the screen.

[​IMG]

No matter how hard I search on Google, I cannot find a single VGA to HDMI, VGA to Display Port, or VGA to DVI-D adapter that actually supports 1920x1200 resolution. All of them secretly support 1080p and not 1920x1200, despite being listed as 1920x1200.

Is there anything I can do outside of stretching the screen? Thanks. (Trying to get this to work on my GTX 1080)

5. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Well, due to differences in aspect ratio (1920x1200 is slightly taller than 1920x1080), there may be some stretching... so you might as well just turn on stretching on your own?

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2016

Generally speaking only professional converters support that mode. Most of the low-cost converters are based on consumer HDMI silicon and only support the consumer HDMI video modes (like the ones listed in CEA-861) - in addition, quite a few chip vendors made a deliberate decision not to support 1920x1200 because 1920x1080 will fit in a 2M pixel frame buffer and 1920x1200 won't. Probably your best bet is to get hold of an old DVI-D to VGA adapter that's quoted as supporting 1920x1200 (because DVI-D is a VESA spec and 1920x1200 is a VESA video mode) and then connect it to the displayport socket using a dumb displayport to DVI-D adapter.

I'm pretty sure the old Extron DVI-RGB boxes really do support that mode.

Kokonoe likes this.
  7. Kokonoe

Kokonoe Rising Member

I went ahead and returned my GTX 1080 and got a 980 Ti, and with the money saved, a completely new computer (although used) off craigslist and I'm rockin' harder than ever before. I bought a simple VGA to DVI-I passthrough, but I think there's a touch of ghosting.

I went ahead and snagged a BNC to DVI-A cable by Extron off eBay since I'm sure Extron makes great cables and I won't have to worry about ghosting.

Either way, appreciate the help guys.