SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

NaoPi

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by Paolo63, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

Hi everybody, I've made a Raspberry Pi distribution the only purpose is to upload Naomi games to the Net Dimm.
    Its name is NaoPi (what else :) )
    If you're interested feel free to ask, thanks

Paolo

2. sparksterz

sparksterz Spirited Member

Ok, I'll bite. I did see some news about this being attempted at one point. How does it work exactly, have any more info as how easy it is to use?

3. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

Sure ! I simply don't know if I can post the link, so I've done such an "elusive" post. Let's try: NaoPi
    There I've explained all there is to know but now, after this post, I'll do another with all the info.
    Let's see if this message will be published now or will have to wait for approval...

Paolo

4. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

First of all sorry for the elusive post, but without moderator approval it seems I can't post the link where I've put all the info.
    Anyway, down here I'll copy them for you...

tl;dr

NaoPi is a minimal linux distribution for Raspberry Pi which only purpose is to load Naomi games.

First you have to put the NaoPi image on an SD card, the games on an USB memory stick, and both in a Raspberry Pi model B.

Then you connect the Raspberry Pi to the properly configured Net Dimm Board via an Ethernet cable and finally you switch on everything.

requirements

A working Naomi machine with

a Naomi base with a firmware supporting Net Dimm (by the way, it’s NOT necessary to have the “NETWORK SYSTEM” sign beneath the Naomi logo and the “Network Setting” entry in the Test menu. The Net Dimm Board must be simply “supported” by the Naomi base)
    a Net Dimm Board with a firmware supporting net booting
    a security chip with whatever key

Game images “zeroed”

how to

download the NaoPi image

extract the zip file to your hard drive, giving you the dd image naopi01-raspberrypi-*.rootfs.rpi-sdimg (where the star stands for the version date)

write this image to the target SD card. The SD card will need to be 2GB or larger.

Linux
    Replacing sdX with the location of the SD card, run:
    dd bs=1M if=/path/to/naopi01-raspberrypi-*.rootfs.rpi-sdimg of=/dev/sdX

Windows
    Download and install Win32DiskImager
    Select the naopi01-raspberrypi-*.rootfs.rpi-sdimg image file, select your SD card drive letter and click Write.
    If it does not work try to format your SD before or look around the various Raspberry Pi info

get an USB memory stick and create a folder called naopi just on the root

copy the zeroed and uncompressed game images on the naopi folder. Their names must end with a lowercase .bin

make sure the Net Dimm Board is a “net” one (remember to set the dip switches…) and make it use the dynamic network configuration (DHCP)

with network setting menu
    enter in the test menu, then select network setting and finally select set ip address. Here set remote enable

without network setting menu
    ask someone with a Naomi base showing the network setting menu to do this step once for you

connect the Raspberry Pi to the Net Dimm Board using an Ethernet cable, cross or stright as you like

game selection

if you put only one *.bin game image on the naopi folder of the USB memory, that will be the one loaded
    if you put many *.bin game images on the naopi folder of the USB memory, the first listed in alphabetical order will be loaded

triforce & chihiro

I think it should work on triforce and chihiro too. I can’t test it so I’m waiting for a feedback.

The loader behind NaoPi is the evergreen Triforce Tools from debugmode so it should work for all

sparksterz likes this.
  5. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

6. vectrex_rox

vectrex_rox Enthusiastic Member

very nice ... will try this soon ! thank you !

7. sparksterz

Wow, that is some pretty awesome stuff! I totally want to try and set this up on mine. I didn't previously have a net dimm though >.> Looks like I need to pick one up

8. sparksterz

Ah, I just recently read the link to your website, looks like it can hold multiple games on the USB and grabs the first alphabetical one. What version of Net DIMM is required to net boot these. I know net booting from compact flash (non-sega cards) required firmware 4.02

9. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

Hi... yes, the link appeared only after some good admin gave his ok.

Anyway, in my tests I'm using a 3.13 net dimm. The firmware only must be able to let the net dimm to be bootable, and a 3.13 seems enough. The 4.02 stuff is necessary only to boot from a "normal" compact flash using the adapter connected to the gdrom scsi port (afaik...). Here instead, with NaoPi, you need the "net" part of the dimm board, not the gdrom one :)

Thanks for your message and please, if you try, let me know if all works... I hope so but I've another couple weeks I can in case make modifications. Then I'll have to return the dimm board to the person who lent it to me.

Ciao

10. vectrex_rox

please, what resistors to use for this "dip switch selector".

Thanks

11. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

Hi, the "dip switch selector" is on the to do list, it's not implemented right now and honestly I'll do only if there are people interested and a valid reason. I mean, it was only an idea I had but then I've seen it's so easy to put the image to load on the usb and change it there I don't think there will be people interested in this little "hardware hack" to make the game selectable by switch.

My priority is to know if people have tried NaoPi and if it works. Have you already tried it ? Can you please write me if it's all ok ?

Thanks

Paolo

12. vectrex_rox

i have not tried it yet ... but i will in the next days and report....
    i hope you will implement the dip switch feature ... this would be kickass to select the games !

great stuff !!!

13. Braintrash

Braintrash Robust Member

I will keep my CompactFlash solution, but am glad someone develops alternatives. We never know what the future will be.
    Good job! :)

14. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

Sure, the compact flash solution has the advantage it's easier to find a gdrom dimm, at least I think. The biggest disadvantage is, if I remember well, there is the need of one flash card for game and the 4.02 firmware.
    Anyway for sure if you've it you've really no reason to change :)
    Thanks for the message !

Paolo

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  15. vectrex_rox

and you need to find the id of the CF card ...

just put file on a USB stick is great !

btw. i also have the cf adapter

16. Paolo63

Paolo63 Active Member

Ok, I've released a new version adding the dip switch selection ;-)

17. vectrex_rox

WOW ... great ... i will test this tomorrow and report to you ! thanks !!!

18. Braintrash

Braintrash Robust Member

Well, not all NetDIMM have a SCSI port, so some owners only can rely on netbooting.
    Also, some people have a PC near their Naomi, some don't.
    But the most important thing is that we need alternatives, so that each can pick the solution he likes best, knowing that if ever that solution fails he can rely on another one. Should CF fail, I'll be happy to still have netbooting, which is why I am happy to see you working on this. :)

19. sparksterz

So you were able to use a normal Ethernet cable and not a cross over cable?

20. vectrex_rox

testing starts this evening ... just finished soldering the DIP switch selector