Mother 3 screen shots

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by _skitzo_, Feb 14, 2006.

1. _skitzo_

_skitzo_ Guest

2. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

Sorry if this comes off as a silly question, but I dont ever recall seeing "Earthbound 2" hit the states..How exactly are they gonna compensate the lack of this chapter in the series??

Or is "Earthbound" actually "Mother 2"?

3. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

Earthbound is mother 2, presumably this will be released as Earthbound 2 in the states, if it sees a release. Europe hasn't seen mother 1 or 2, but I expect it will just be Earthbound 2 over here, if released

4. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

For Europe, they might just make up a whole new name like they did StarWing/Lylat Wars (Star Fox)

Seems pretty odd to start with a "2" when there never was a "1" to begin with...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006
  5. Giel

Giel Intrepid Member

The Starwing/Lylat Wars thing was a problem with the license of the title(was already taken in Europe or something) Mark30001...

6. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

im glad they keeped that funny look. Damn, cant wait!

Id love to see mother 64dd leaked on day too.... :crying:

they could have forced themselves with the hero though. It looks like Ness, but it isnt. Well, it seems like it isnt.... Anyway.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. Jasonkhowell

Jasonkhowell Well Known Member

Eh, in truth, I am semi-dissapointed. Needs a little more substance, in my opinion. However, graphics rarely matter. It's the gameplay that is important.

8. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

belive me when people saw earthbound (mother 2) back then alot of people in the us passed it up due to the graphics and such. The first mother was planed for us release but was never fully produced

and got put back on the back burner so much acroding to the translator for the game. Still even though i was sorta dissapointed, i think its better then nothing. The graphcis are a bit better then on snes

and i must say it seems that judging from the screenshot in the woods with the cowboy and the dog, it could possibly follow the plot of the cancled 64 game very closely.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  9. Hmm thats some horrible artwork/textures in that game, i think it looks even worse then the snes, you know it's possilble to make beautiful 2d graphics and still retain the orginal feel of the game. I guess the gameplay better be good cause the game looks like something from a 8-bit system.

10. Mr.saturn

Mr.saturn Spirited Member

The Mother games have never been known for their eye candy. I for one couldn't be happier with these shots because it seems like the style of mother1/2 has been continued perfectly.

I really don't see what is so "horrible" about anything in those shots. Simple? yes, but a mother game should be.

11. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

I like the art, those are sprites not textures, and 8-bit games only looked that good at their absolut pinnacle.

12. Saint_Eve

Saint_Eve Rapidly Rising Member

Yeah, I just saw these screens on GAF the other day, I keep hearing about how great this game is, but never anything about why it is so great? Would anyone care to elaborate?

13. subbie

subbie Moderator Staff Member

Sweet it's pokemon gba all over again (ie ungodly simple tile work). jezz the game does not need to look crazy like goldensun but it still could look better then this.

14. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

seems like the typical reaction of a young game player to me.

First, its not textures, its sprites, objects and backrounds. Second, if you are refering to NES and SMS in your "8 bit system" comment, then you really dont know what is it all about. Sure, its simple, but its intended to be. Resolution?That screen of the forest alone destroys your comment mate.

15. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

graphics or not, this is the game ill be getting when it comes this way c :)

16. Sprites. 2D games use sprites; textures are applied to faces of polygonal models. And the game looks on par with or slightly better - but by no means worse - than the SNES edition, although these are only still shots we're seeing; it's hard to tell what a game will look like without seeing it in motion.
    The Mother series isn't really something you play for the gameplay. The gameplay is the same tired JRPG concept that stretches all the way back to Dragon Quest and beyond, so if you're expecting the gameplay to justify the supposedly poor graphics, then Mother 3 will not be for you.
    Please note the comparison between the 8-bit Famicom Mother and the upcoming Mother 3:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I think the difference in detail and color depth is fully apparent.

17. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

you know i got a feeling looking at the gba screen adn the characters the movment is going to be a lot more fluid then earthbound, but i say it

already loooks the most detailed in the serise just looking at the screenshot above alone. I dont care, people let rejoyce that this game is now a reality and is going to come out.

18. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

I dont see whats all the fuss here? I think it looks fantastic. It fits "Earthbound"s universe completely.

19. Whoops I meant sprites instead of textures. I'm 27 and have been playing games since atari, i could draw better artwork then the game has. The "sprites" look like crap imo, I think they could easily improved the quality look of the game while retaining the original feel of the series. Look at the castlevanias on the gba while they still feel like the older nes games they look much better. Looks don't make a game but theres nothing wrong with improving upon them.

20. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

i remember reading a mag back in the days and there it was said that they wanted to release Mother 3 as Mother 3 here in europe...we'll see if they'll change the name now