SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Megadrive Sample GD-R .

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Laurent, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Knuckles500

Knuckles500 Rapidly Rising Member

I got all the ROMs out and compared them to GoodGen. All of them match save for one. It looks like someone grabbed these ROMs from the internet, rather from Sega's own archives:

There are two text files in the ROM folder. ECCO.TXT appears to be a placeholder description for the Ecco listing. SONIC.TXT is actually a carbon copy of this: http://www.angelfire.com/ny/dezmoowu/Sega/megadrive.txt

I backed everything up on Hidden Palace for safe keeping.

Thanks for the release!

2. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

Thanks for sharing!

@-=FamilyGuy=- I think the special chars are indeed to indicate some modes for the emulator.

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2015

That's what I said...

Though, ! seems to denote a comment line, since the games corresponding to lines with it don't show in @Tomleecee's video. Maybe it's simply because they have poor compatibility/crash the emu.

4. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

My guess is perhaps something to do with regions? Because the # symbol is always a #U or #J.

Has anyone verified this is truly a different emulator than the Smash Pack? I'm skeptical that this isn't just another frontend for the same emulator. The behavior in the video certainly seems the same, for games like Sonic 2 (sound drops out at the same point etc.).

5. wombat

wombat Site Supporter 2011,2013,2014,2015

Very happy to see this one being out in the wild, thanks a lot for your generosity @Laurent!

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

That's completely plausible. The U seems part of the tag as the Aladdin rom is called ALADDIN.BIN, not UALADDIN.BIN.

Even if this is the same emulator, the frontend is neat! Maybe there's also a bugfix or two ...

7. darcagn

All of them that have the # are that way.
    #UALADDIN.bin Aladdin
    #UDRMEANBE.bin Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    #JS00001S00007102207.bin Eternal Champions
    #JS00001S00007102200.bin Inchidant-R Puzzle & Action
    #Urstimpi.bin Ren & Stimpy - Stimpy's Invention
    #Ushforce.bin Shining Force (smash pack)
    #USHINOBI3.bin Shinobi III
    #Usonic.bin Sonic 1 (smash pack)
    #Usonic2.bin Sonic 2
    #Usonic3.bin Sonic 3
    #Ustrage2.bin Streets of Rage 2 (smash pack)
    #USOR3.bin Streets of Rage 3
    #Usubteran.bin Sub-Terrania
    #Uthetick.bin The Tick
    #UTINHEAD.bin Tin Head
    #JS00001S00007102238.bin Toejam & Earl II
    #UX_Men.bin X-Men

All of the U's and the J's match up to the ROM's region as listed in the post above by Knuckles500.
    However, there are U and J ROMs that don't have the #U and #J prefix in the ROMS.LST so I'm not entirely sure what its purpose is.

Also there is an LCD folder on the GD-ROM that has *.LCD files for certain games that are the same filenames as the ROM file, just with an .LCD extension. My guess is that the emulator looks for an LCD file in that folder with a matching filename and loads that file to display onto the VMU?

I hate to be pessimistic, but I doubt there's much if anything fixed given that plenty of stuff is still broken and Sonic 2, an extremely important game, is still broken.

Given that the Lemec Loader by Obsidian for the Smash Pack emulator allows you to change emulation parameters in real time, lets you make folders, and doesn't require you to make a ROMS.LST file, it's probably the better choice for most people to use in actual usage.

From what I see so far, I'm assuming this is the same emulator core as the Smash Pack, they just started working on a European version that had a different frontend, and it wasn't finished yet.

8. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

Those files seem to be made of two bytes (00 and 08 IIRC I don't have the files handy), I'd bet it's simply a list of pixels of fixed length.

10. Laurent

Laurent Active Member

Too more download for the files in this moment

11. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

That "someone" was most probably Sega themselves. This isn't the first time for a company like Sega to use roms from the internet.

12. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Rising Member

Just want to thank you @Laurent for your generosity. What a great release! Un grand merci ! :)

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  13. mrpopsicleman

mrpopsicleman Member

Indeed. Nintendo has done this as well. At 14m38s.

wombat likes this.
  14. mrpopsicleman

mrpopsicleman Member

Knuckles500 put it on Hidden Palace.

keropi likes this.
  15. darcagn

After looking at the region lockout list here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/13604), most of the games (but not all) that have the #U or #J tag are listed as games that have region lockout.

The original Smash Pack emulated a U.S. Genesis including region lockout. My guess is that this version emulates a European Mega Drive including region lockout, and the region can be forced in this version by prepending the #U or #J tag to the ROM filename in the ROMS.LST file.

If I remember correctly there was no way to force the region in the Smash Pack emulator, so this would be the first new feature.

I haven't even booted up this thing yet though much less modified any of the files, I haven't had the time, so someone else will have to play with it and confirm my guess.

americandad likes this.
  16. darcagn

After playing around a little bit with some region locked ROMs...

#U sets the emulated Genesis console to USA.
    #J sets the emulated Genesis console to Japanese.
    The Sonic 3 ROM (region-locked to USA), for example, will not load without the #U flag. With #J or with no region tag, it loads up a region lockout screen.
    In the same way, Donald Duck Maui Mallard (region-locked to Europe), will not load with #U or #J flag, it loads up a region lockout screen.

I tried some other flags, like #E for Europe, and #A, #B, #C, etc. as well as #1, #2, and #3 and they all loaded as European, so apparently if it's not #U or #J there is no effect.

I tried multiple-character flags (like #U1, #UM1, #US2, etc.) and got a filename loading error.

The ! flag disables the game from showing in the menu. Removing the flag re-enables those missing games, but the only one I tried (BLOODLIN.BIN) crashed at startup so that's probably why it was disabled.

On my U.S. Dreamcast, I do not get an option for 50/60Hz, and the "TV Setting" option is missing from the options menu as well.

The other thing is, the emulator running on my Dreamcast is WAY worse than in the video on Dreamcast Junkyard. The tempo of the "Seeeegaaaaa" at the beginning of games is slow and low-pitched, and all the music sound is absolutely terrible--worse than the already bad Smash Pack. Not sure why this is happening, perhaps because I'm on a US DC? VGA mode? dunno.

Unfortunately it does not look like the options available to Sega Smash Pack (below) are available in this build. Or, at least, I can't figure out a way to activate them.

17. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Well those options weren't available via a config file (such as ROMS.LST), they're supposed to be communicated some other way.

18. darcagn

In the original Smash Pack as well as the hacked versions (Echelon loader and Obsidian Lemec Loader) there was a separate menu/loader application binary that launched the emulator binary via the Sega Ginsu application loader, and when it launched the emulator binary it passed those parameters to it.

For this emulator, there is no separate binary, everything is loaded up in one unified binary. So there is no way to pass parameters to the loading mechanism like in the Smash Pack.

Perhaps we could try using the Echelon or Lemec loader and transfer to the Megadrive Emulator via Ginsu and see if it will skip the menu and load up a ROM directly, but if that would work we would lose the cool menu and the only advantage would be having more regions.

19. darcagn

For those of you who wanna try this out but don't know how to mess with/aren't familiar with GDI files

Here is a hacked/selfbooting CDI version I made:
    http://rg.to/file/3c7e38247e9df355cf1aa67c92169b60/mdemu_cdi.rar.html

Here is a quick batch script I wrote alongside the emulator files that allows you put your own ROM files into the folder and edit the ROMS.LST manually, then you can doubleclick the batch file to make your own CDI.
    http://rg.to/file/da9d13f1c3cada6f0da4e75c2b8323ef/mdemu_discmaker.rar.html

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM
  20. zouzzz

zouzzz <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

americandad likes this.