SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

LoZ save gone??

Discussion in 'Everdrive N8' started by adimifus, Jun 23, 2013.

1. adimifus

adimifus <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

So I was playing The Legend of Zelda for a few hours yesterday on my N8, saving periodically, and today when I started it up, my save game is completely gone. Tried resetting, power cycling, taking out/reinserting the cart, even tried manually loading the save file, but nothing. Somehow all of my progress has disappeared. It's weird cause the file I was playing, I had saved and powered down before and reloaded fine. I was under the impression that the N8 automatically backed up its save files, similar to the sd2snes. Is this not true, and should I be hitting reset to backup the saves like the ed64 requires? Even if that was the case, I don't know why my initial save would be gone. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

EDIT: seems that my Zelda II save is still fine and intact. I don't know what to make of this...

EDIT 2: so I made a new save, powered down straight from the game (no reset), and loaded the game again. The new save is there. So what happened to my old save...?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

If you turn off NES games without holding reset the CPU can corrupt the SRAM while it's losing power. Certain games may be more prone to this than others. It may be more likely to happen if you power off at certain places than others. This is why the game tells you to HOLD RESET while pressing the power button. This prevents the CPU from doing anything while it loses power. Some games, very few, contain additional chips that sense power down and can protect SRAM from bad writes. I have no idea if the EverDrive has anything like that going on. If you hold reset while powering off, you should have no problems.

3. blotter12

blotter12 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

If it is the FDS version, you have to press reset before powering off.

From the everdrive website:

*** FDS is the only exception, user should push the reset button on system to get back to main menu before than shutting down the system, otherwise FDS save data will be lost.

4. adimifus

I'm playing the US PRG1 ROM. I didn't think the holding reset while powering down thing would matter with the everdrive. If it does, ill keep that in mind. Since then, I've started a new save and had zero problems.

Does the n8 automatically backup the save whenever its written, like the sd2snes does? Or does it just do it periodically? If it did write a save file automatically, I wouldn't think it would matter how you shut it down, since the save would already be on the SD card and not just in the sram anymore.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  5. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

If it saves "periodically" then what if you are powering down when it is trying to save? The official webpage says you don't need to hold reset. So maybe whatever happened to your save was a fluke.

6. adimifus

That makes sense. Even though I'm sure backing up the save is almost instant, there's always the chance of that also being the instant I pushed the power button.

7. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

Dragon Warrior does a check, and if the save file in sram doesn't match the checksum (doesn't matter for the other save files) - it erases ~everything~. So if a byte got corrupt while it was being written to sram, during the game, it's possible the same scenario plays out in LOZ as well. With the infamous cart slot/bus problems of old NES system, it wouldn't surprise me if this happened from time to time.