SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

I think I found a Swedish edition Gameboy Pocket...

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Comboy, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

Found in the wild in Korea. It's missing its oh-so-important battery cover Swedish flag label that indicates the #### of 3000. However, it is clearly a European unit and the serial number is consistent with pictures of the Swedish GBP I've found online. I think it's legit, just poorly taken care of.

I opened it up and there is really nothing special I can tell about it. Even a proven Swedish edition doesn't seem like it's very remarkable outside of its rarity (there are no special unique colors/screen printings/screen covers/etc). However, there are some pencil markings inside the yellow back cover that may have been used to identify these cases for special production/packaging/branding on the assembly line.

If anyone has any info or actually owns one and can help me discern if it's a real one, I would be most appreciative. I've attached some images.

Attached Files:

2. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

I suppose this could just be a blue front case and a yellow back case put together, with a european motherboard?
    Without that vital numbered sticker on the battery door, we will never be able to tell.
    However, I wonder why a Scandinavian limited model, produced in 3000 total units, would end up in Korea?
    I mean a collector would have taken care of it, and any other would just have bought a regular Game Boy I suppose?

3. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Often times limited edition consoles are bought just for the heck of it. My GBA SP is the tribal tattoo limited edition one, and the only reason I have it is because my parents thought it looked cooler for a Christmas present than a regular grey/silver one.

Comboy likes this.
  4. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Hmm well, the tripal SP was a lot more common than the Swedish pocket.
    Even I got a tripal SP. Didn't even know it was a limited :D
    Anyway, i find it very hard compairing the Tripal SP, with the Swedish Pocket.
    Mainly because the Tripal was available almost everywhere.
    Where the Swedish Pocket was only produced in 3001 total units.
    And purely imported by Bergsala A/S, who is the Scandinavian importer of Nintendo systems.
    And send out in Sweden.
    How this pocket ended up in Korea makes no sense to me at all.
    I mean a collector would have bought a full kit, with box and the legit papers.
    This pocket haven't seen any of that, and that is why I don't seem to understand how and why it has ended up how it did (if it is a original Swedish Pocket) :)

5. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Perhaps it was sold because the collector either needed money or simply left it behind. And then the shop/person who bought it had no idea how rare this thing is... hence why it was treated like a normal set?

6. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Well that would make sense.
    Unfortunately the Game Boy is missing all of it's indications, that this actually is a Swedish Limited.
    The sticker isn't on the back, and the little "Congratulations" paper is also missing.
    I am not trying to burst any dreams here, I really hope that a Swedish Limited is found and in good hands with an assembler member.
    It is somewhat the holy grail of Scandinavian gaming culture.
    However, I am missing that vital proof that this actually is what we hope it is :D
    And not just a blue and yellow Game Boy screwed together.

7. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

Its likely even more simple: it was from kids of swedish diplomats or businnessmen, bought or got in sweden as present, taken to korea when they moved there, then left behind.

8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

I wouldn't of even known it was a rarer gameboy pocket...

9. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Well it says "Limited Edition" and number "#### out of 3000" on the back, so you would might have guessed it, I suppose :D

10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Where does it say that on the back, I don't see it in those images.

Oh fuck, nevermind, it's on the stupidest part. The battery cover.

11. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

Hi all. Thanks for your replies.

Based on images I've found on google, the serial number is the key. They are all MH1690xxxx. However, I tried to do the math to figure out if they follow any sort of pattern (sequential serial numbers with sequential special edition numbering) and sadly, it looks as though they were all randomly marked. There is NO pattern to how the Swedish edition GBPs were marked and therefore it is impossible to figure out which unit this one was meant to be. My guess is that in production 3000 units were designated and then a team just picked them up randomly and put on the battery cover sticker and paired it with the certificate in the retail packaging.

As for why this turned up in Korea...you all seem surprised but I'm not surprised at all. Korea was a dumping ground for many regions. While Japanese is certainly the most common (more common than even the Korean region), I have found Hong Kong, PAL (Europe and Australia), US, Latin America, and "Asian" region stuff quite commonly. I believe this is largely due to the limited amount of officially released Korean Nintendo stuff and its relatively high price. Many retailers utilized region converters and private importers wholesaled deadstock merchandise from other countries.

I don't really expect anyone to trust me on the legitimacy of something so rare. To me, the serial number is proof enough but I fully understand the absence of the supplemental evidence kills its value. =/

12. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Tell you what I do, I will write a mail to Bergsala and ask them if they have a list of serial numbers, or anything other that might help us identify this unit.
    Would it be okay if I used some of your pictures? :)

13. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

Yes! That would amazing! =)

And, to be clear, I don't think this unit was sold in its retail packaging in Korea. I think the theory that it was someone's kid who traded it in while in Korea is very plausible. It has a line of horizontal dead pixels in the display so perhaps they dropped it and then traded it in for a new one.

14. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

I don't see it as odd at all. How many foreign Saturns are there in Korea vs. the official Samsung unit? Supply and demand can be a factor, especially if there's not an official distributor. Less so with handhelds, but wanting games from another region plays a part, too - e.g. Brazilian Tec Toy Saturn games were thin on the ground, so US imported consoles (or Japanese) were often seen.

However, I'd say it's quite possible little Björn went on holiday with his Game Boy to keep him amused, and left it on the plane / bus / park bench by mistake.

As for "limited editions", you really wouldn't expect anything different inside - it's just a bog standard unit. Why would they go to the expense of making a different PCB? All they are half the time is a different paint job... or maybe even just a sticker!

Comboy likes this.
  15. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

All very good points. I'm glad you brought up Brazil as it is probably the best available comparison for Korea. In both countries the official stuff was not only sparse, but it was expensive enough that it was out of reach of much of the middle class, especially earlier on. In Korea, over time the prices came down and consoles were marketed more at big box retailers for more reasonable prices.

For this particular item, when I described it as being found "in the wild" I was generalizing that it was sold cheaply and without any knowledge of what it was. I bought it from someone who regularly wholesales out broken and obscure consoles and games. In the past two weeks I've picked up a boxed Japanese Action Replay 2, five SNES PAL carts, a Hyundai Mini Comboy (another of the rarest Gameboys out there), a Beta release of FFXI, as well as many more items. I suspect this guy has access to the remaining stock of an old video game store, though I will probably never know for sure. Because of this information, my bet is that it was a trade-in that was deemed fixable but ultimately was just ended up being stored away for more than a decade.

16. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Bergsala just answered my mail, unfortunately they could not help us with anything. :(

17. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

Ah! Oh well. Maybe it was a long shot.

Thank you again for trying on my behalf. =)

18. vinyl

vinyl Spirited Member

PAL gameboys found in Korea
    Hyundai Comboy found in a goodwill store in US
    nothing suprizes me anymore =p

Yes the the GB pocket from Sweden was limited up to 3000 pieces, I saw around 3 for sell in Swedish Auctions and they go for quite alot! (like 200 euro) you are right with the flag and the number, if it ain`t on there, could be a a replaces battery lid... or reshell of the 2 G

19. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

Here's something that'll blow your mind: I found a Comboy (original NES style) at a Goodwill in Korea. =)

Yes, there are Goodwills in Korea.

Digmac likes this.
  20. Comboy

Comboy Spirited Member

AMAZING update.

Today I got a box of junked gameboys and a couple of famicom systems from the same buyer as mentioned above. One of the items was a yellow GameBoy Pocket with no front screen cover. I like to restore these and it was cheap so I figured what the hey. It was a yellow one and I don't have a yellow one yet...and the picture showed just the front of it.

However, this is what came today! Seems at some point someone swapped the back covers without realizing what they were doing!!

Attached Files:

lolzvid and PixelButts like this.