SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

How to save much money on usps shipping

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ASSEMbler, May 18, 2016.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

There's many more affordable options for shipping that are hidden by the post office on their web site.
    These more affordable options require ordering the special boxes not found at any post office , and are order-able only via their online store.

Howe much can it save you? $10-40 per item if not more.

First go and make a usps account, and then go to the store.

The items we want to order are:

• Priority mail padded flat rate envelope.
    • Regional box A
    • Regional box B

All of these are free supplies! Free!

Meet your new friend, the padded flat rate envelope.

USPS-Envelope.gif

This is a padded mailer that would normally cost you $0.30 cents in quantities of 100.
    It's 100% free. FREE. You can fit large amounts inside it, and the glue is very strong on the
    sealing edge. You can even put more expensive postage USPS boxes inside it... which is probably why
    it's only available online. (Don't do the usps branded box inside thing, read on)

Order as many padded mailers as you can (15 at a time) because they take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I just order them every week.

Before we start, I need to state one important fact:
    1. It's illegal to use them as packing material.
    2. Reread number one.

How to make the most use of this mailer.

1. Put items in a box,and then in the mailer. Weight doesn't matter, so use abundant packing.

Examples:

Place item in a box, mail
    Place item in a box, and then roll it in bubble wrap, mail
    Place item in bubble, roll cardboard around it, mail
    Place item in bubble, cardboard, bubble, cardboard, mail.

Basically if it fits, it ships.

How much do you save? Anywhere from $6.00-50.00

In store it's $6.90 for postage on a padded flat rate, but via eBay it drops to $5.90
    making it the cheapest option available to you. No gas surcharges like FedEx, no extra charges for far flung us territories, Alaska or Hawaii like normal priority mail.
    For example, milk is about $12-20 a gallon in Alaska, but I can fit half a gallon or more of ultra pasteurized parmalat boxes in it and ship for $5.90. Doing this via regular priority mail would cost $45 or more.

Offering free shipping is great, but you can encounter a big trap on non-flat rate mail, which is remore location buyers. Someone buying in a remote are of wyoming or kansas can turn a $7.00 absorbed cost into a $25.00 cast very quickly.

To sum up, these are your new best friend.

Regional boxes, a great but intentionally limited option.

Meet the regional box A and B:

$(KGrHqJ,!hwE1K+T1EqYBNh3If2VCQ~~_2.JPG $(KGrHqF,!jcE1JPeotlYBNh3JtTj)!~~_2.JPG

Regions are the united states diced up into zones. It's cheaper to move from one zone to another
    close by, and was previously an option only for bulk mail senders.

This is the zone map, which changes a bit all the time. You can exclude anything not continental US from the regional map, even though Alaska is shown...

Feature-Image-Dynamic-Zone-Map.jpg
    As you can see, each zone. The4se zones have their own shipping network, and it's easier to think of each zone as it's own country/company post office, and packages going between zones need more expensive
    zone-zone shipping. It's more complex than this, but it's not important to explain it other than this:

It's super cheap to ship in your zone with regional mail than normal mail.

For example I can send a regional box filled to the maximum weight in region 8 for $6.00.
    15 pounds for $6. With vanilla priority mail this is a $20 transaction.

Zone 8 to 7 is more but it's still cheaper than vanilla mail. In short , until you reach more
    than 3 zones away, it's by far cheaper than normal mail.

The difference between A nd B box is just size and weight restriction. The larger C box was killed off
    because it was too good a thing.

So there you have it, go order your supplies and save!

Comboy, WolverineDK, DeChief and 6 others like this.
  2. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

You've done this a couple of times, I see.
    I always thought you lived in Japan lol.

3. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

Neat, definite props and thanks for the tips on this? Although I'm curious - what's up with using the envelopes as packing material being illegal?

I myself have never done it, and never even thought of it until a few friends recently mentioned it, but I had no idea it was deemed illegal :eek:

4. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

Everyone I deal with knows I love bubble mailers...... i have shipped 70lbs of lead in one before :D i've gotten in trouble for cutting them up and using them to ship smaller packages first class lol

Digmac likes this.
  5. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

I've have family responsibilities I can't escape. I don't live my life for myself anymore.

WolverineDK and Digmac like this.
  6. americandad

I don't understand how this is a reply to my comment. I also don't understand if what you just said is a good thing or a bad thing

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator

>I always thought you lived in Japan lol.

Ah ok. I used to spend almost all my time there, but I got stuck taking care of people.

A more serious answer than you probably wanted, but it hit a nerve.

WolverineDK likes this.
  8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

You somewhat waste your breath explaining that situation to people who may not have been a carer themself.
    My mother was a full time carer for my father, and when she wasn't home I took over.

The usual response I'd get is "but you're home all day, why don't you clean up?" or "You have a lot of spare time since you don't work" etc.

9. americandad

For some reason I thought that you were based there, permanently.
    Didn't mean to hit your nerve, sorry.
    Taking care of your family isn't the worst thing to be stuck with though ^^.

10. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

I doubt ebay takes this into consideration with their stupid global shipping program. i really doubt. some prices are "exotic" for lack of a better word.
    I'm buying from europe lately because there's no point in global stupid program waste of money.

11. whateverls15

whateverls15 Newly Registered

Do you have anything like coupon ? it would help you alot