How did the "disk to cassette" transfer option on the Super Wild Card work?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by michielvoo, Apr 7, 2012.

1. michielvoo

michielvoo Programmer

In the past I have had different Super Wild Card copiers, one pre-DX model and a DX. I remember both had an option to transfer data from disk (floppy) to cassette.

Has anyone here ever used that option, and if so, what kind of cartridge did it require? Was it for use with official Nintendo development carts or did were these special carts for use with the Super Wild Card hardware? Or is this related to EPROM (don't now what it is really, just a term I find when trying to find more information about this online).

Edit: I forgot to mention this. I once owned an empty Super Famicom cart, that was used in Japan for 'downloading' games from an in-store machine. Has anyone ever tried this type of cart with the transfer to cassette option of the Super Wild Card?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

They were just generic battery-backed SRAM carts. It has nothing to do with development hardware or the Nintendo Power/SF Memory Cassette hardware (which uses FlashROM).

3. APE

APE Master Baiter

Floppy to cassette tape. As in those things that helped kill vinyl and were killed by CD.

4. michielvoo

michielvoo Programmer

No. In Japan cartridges were called cassettes. Cassettes were not tapes.

5. michielvoo

michielvoo Programmer

In the context of Super Nintendo, the term SRAM is generally used for a part of the cartridge where save games are stored. Is that what you mean? In that case, does the option to transfer data from disk to cassette mean only to transfer game saves?

Or were blank cartridges available that could store a complete game using the same hardware that was used for save games? In that case, who provided these carts and are any pictures available of these carts? Do they ever surface on eBay or similar places? Any info would be welcome really.

Thanks!

6. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

It all depends on how the SRAM is mapped inside of the cartridge. Depending on the area it's sitting at it can be program memory or data memory. Having it battery backup-ed only means it won't get wiped out once power is removed. :)