SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

GCVIDEO-Shuriken Wii HDMI

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Drunk_caterpillar

Drunk_caterpillar Newly Registered

I just wanted to say that I cannot wait for this mod to become something I can buy commercially. I was so disappointed in the picture quality of Wii games on a Wii U, so fingers crossed that this is going to be a step up from that. Now if I can only figure out the best way to scale 480p to 1080p or 4k...

2. Flappyraccoon

Flappyraccoon Rising Member

Will this be able to output 480p VGA via the component cables like GCVideo on the Gamecube? I don't know if it's just a feature on the BadassConsoles version for the GC. But that one outputs H and V signals over the LR audio plugs and the RGB over the corresponding color cables. I'm only asking because I would plug 480p VGA into my OSSC and line double. If not no worries as 480p via HDMI is exponentially better than whatever the Wii normally output. :)

3. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

This does DVI/HDMI only. BC has two versions, one based on GCVideo DVI and GCVideo Lite. The lite version does the analog conversion, there is currently no GCVideo lite version written for the Wii. You could try one of those basic HDMI to VGA adapters. But 480p via HDMI might look better on the TV. Depends if you really like those Jaggies the line doubling does with 480p.

I wish my TV or DVDO VP50 Pro could X2 480p. I'm jealous.

4. Flappyraccoon

Well the next batch should be huge I read you should be able to get one soon if you wanted! Thanks for the info as well!

5. citrus3000psi

I already have an OSSC, stuff just doesn't work when line doubling 480p. Line triple at least works ;)

6. Flappyraccoon

7. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

Finally some good results @citrus3000psi:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Send me a PM so we can discuss details on it.

juji and citrus3000psi like this.
  8. citrus3000psi

@Helder and I have been bouncing some ideas back and forth. How does a BGA QSB board on the via grid array sound o_O This should work well assuming there isn't some type of coating on the vias hindering the solder from sticking.

This is the via grid array I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

Here is a test board I've made up. I'm making some major assumptions like the via spacing being 1mm. So this design will change, once I start actually measuring the board out etc. @Helder has some good ideas like using the resistors on the board to act as anchor points and help align the board for the install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

BGA sounds good but will make install much trickier, especially if you bridge (1mm spacing it might be hard).

seeing as it's a QFP, what if you had a PCB that went under it, almost like a breakout pcb. I don't know how that would effect the matched lengths on those two traces..

what about using a flat flex PCB instead?

10. citrus3000psi

@LeHaM I'm not following when say put a breakout PCB under the AVE.

Flat flex pcb I think is the preferred method. Marhsall's cable works very well. But building and testing the cable is costly. I've made some DIY flex boards at home but have been so far unsuccessful with getting it soldered to the AVE. BGA can be tricky, but with access to the pins on the AVE and test points on the QSB, we can do continuity testing.

11. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

So will a stencil be necessary, or can we halfass the amount of solder needed on each pad, and still get a decent result? No experience soldering BGA stuff yet :)

Consider adding test points to the opposite side so we can test for shorts easily :)

12. citrus3000psi

Now you wont need a stencil. You should be able to solder to the bottom. Or perhaps I can sell the QSB pre-populated with solderballs. I submitted and order to osh park on Saturday and did add test points on with some silkscreen markings. :D The board should align between 2 resistors and a cap. So placement will hopefully be easy.

[​IMG]

I've also started design on the earlier Wii reversion where the AVE chip is rotated 90 degrees. I've got the via's mapped out and most of the spacing calculated and confirmed there is room for a BGA board. So if the first board works I'll finish up this up this design.

zzattack likes this.
  13. Helder

What is the spacing on the vias? I'll try my hand at something as another option. Also what is the AVE pitch?

citrus3000psi likes this.
  14. citrus3000psi

the vias are 1mm and the AVE is .5mm

15. Flappyraccoon

The only way to solder bga is with a rework station yea?

16. Helder

the via annular ring is roughly what diameter?

17. citrus3000psi

A temp controlled heat gun should work as well. But a rework station would be preferred, because it means this isn't first try at BGA attempt. ;) I don't want everybody melting their Wii's. Perhaps this product will be more gear towards an installer like the HDMI N64 product.

diameter is roughly .151mm
    annular ring is about .1229mm
    Total Via diameter .3958mm

Helder likes this.
  18. Flappyraccoon

Yet another reason I should have bought that rework station at Underground Gamer years ago...

I may just risk the heat gun. As horrible as it sounds Wii's are a dime a dozen over here it seems.

Buuuut I may give into the idea of an installer. So long as it isn't Drakon.

19. citrus3000psi

I should be getting boards tomorrow. I'll know pretty soon if this is going to work or not.

Helder and juji like this.
  20. citrus3000psi

Got the boards yesterday and had a little success. These are .5mm pads with .5mm balls

[​IMG]

Put into place. Everything checks out with the meter. And the wii still works (so I didn't short anything out) I need to rebuild the actual GCVideo Wii board and do a "real" test. I should have something by this week going. But I have some customer projects that take precedence over this first.

[​IMG]

juji and Helder like this.