SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

GCVIDEO-Shuriken Wii HDMI

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

What is the pitch on that chip? Are you sure you need a flex pcb for this? I have a similar design that i used 0.6mm thin pcb with 0.5mm pitch. I'll post images once I get the boards.

2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I didn't really think about drag soldering over a thinner pcb. Not a bad idea. But not sure if that will work with the current design. The flat side of the main pcb doesn't lay against the wii mainboard. Perhaps I could make a small QSB like you are describing and bridge it over with a standard FFC cable.

Helder likes this.
  3. Helder

A much cheaper alternative in my opinion and if done right can fit no problem, I'll post my board images once I get them to give you a better idea of how it actually looks and works.

4. Dr.Wily

Dr.Wily Peppy Member

Why does not make a simple adapter who plugs on Gamecube digital port ?

5. djelaba

djelaba Benzin !, Site Supporter 2013

This thread is for Wii, and there is no available connector for the digital port.

6. Dr.Wily

Dr.Wily Peppy Member

Oh my bad, I thought I was on GC thread :confused:

7. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

so this will enable direct HDMI out on a wii? v nice, my new tv has no component inputs so I'm definitely interested

8. citrus3000psi

Little update. I made my first flex cable last night. I must say its pretty cool. But I couldn't get it soldered to the ave-rvl easily. The cable just sits a little too high, so there is no copper to copper connection. I can get them connected but then at the same time I get bridged pins on the ave-rvl. When I fix the bridged pins I then inadvertently remove the connection to the flex cable. So it was a cat and mouse game. The flex cable was designed to butt up to the very tip of the pins like this:

[​IMG]

So I have two options that I see. Design the cable fitted like this:

[​IMG]

Or get some thinner flex material. I was currently using 3mil, I ordered some 2mil last night. Now, thickness wouldn't matter as much if I had notches/cuts into the edges (like the N64 HDMI flex cable) If and when I get cables made at the factory I will add those in. I'm cutting this thing out with scissors and I doubt I can convince my wife that I need to buy a laser cutter :p

I haven't disregarded @Helder idea. But seeing as this 3mil wouldn't bound, not sure how hard a 23mil will be, unless I go for that second image.

@Helder your boards didn't have castellated edges correct? holes that small go way out of specs of osh park.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  9. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

The ultrahdmi flex also has open pads on the bottom, so I suppose that will connect to the pads on the PCB. I think this really helps.

How did the 0.5 mm spacing work out?

10. citrus3000psi

It does? I ordered 3 kits so I'll need re-take a look at this cable. But that would be easy to add in. I would also add a ground plane to the factory cable on the 2nd layer.

The printer had no issues doing .5mm. It could probably handle .4mm spacing.

11. Helder

My board house gave me issues with such a small pitch and having castellated edges but I told them I just needed the pads at the very edge of the board and I put notches into the board outline so there will be some cuts so solder is easier to pass along to the chip legs. I'm expecting my boards either today or tomorrow and I'll show you what they look like.

Unless you use a better or rather a more robust fabricator you will have issues with small pitches and castellated edges, the board house I use has really small clearances for tight designs but that costs extra.

Basically looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    zzattack and citrus3000psi like this.
  12. citrus3000psi

The holes on the outside are NOT plated correct? Just have copper on the top and bottom layers?

Also another semi serious issue, is the wii revisions. I know of at least two different main board layouts:

My motherboard looks like this:

[​IMG]

Then there is this one:

[​IMG]

Might be possible to make the flex cable work for both revisions if I make it long enough and be able to be bent.

Does anybody have any pictures of wii mainboards that aren't these. Specifically the non gamecube port ones.

13. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

14. citrus3000psi

15. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Rapidly Rising Member

personaly im not sure that qsb will work with this small pitch chip. i never saw it done for ps2 modchip.

16. Helder

Well it seems my notches were not deep enough to be practical in real life:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But with a small file I can notch it better like I intended, now I will need to edit the board to have deeper notches so it comes out as intended.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

citrus3000psi likes this.
  17. Helder

I have another revision of the board above with another fabricator and some changes. If it comes out good I'll inform you and give you the details of how I set up the solder pads/holes and the fabricator. Likely mid next week I'll receive them.

citrus3000psi likes this.
  18. DragoonC

DragoonC Spirited Member

@Helder

dont use a file, use a dremel tool with diamond cutting blade, a lot easier to work with and cleaner.

19. citrus3000psi

Small update. This flex cable stuff is pain. I got some thinner material (1mil kap/1mil adhesive) and it does appear to work, as in I can solder it to the chip. But it is not easy. I am getting some samples from Dupont directly which is 1/2mil Kap and 1/2mil adhesive. So I'm hoping its easier to solder. I should have that new material anytime.

Hopefully I'll have a flex cable fully soldered and a working proto this weekend.

@Helder, did you ever get new boards in?

20. Helder

I did but had issues again, fucking Eagle let's you make custom parts but once you use these smaller than average drill sizes and annular rings in the board design it defaults to the average size. Basically the vias were overlapped and were shorted together.

So I again tried another method and conformed the vias to the board house capabilities and will know next week how it turned out.

Basically I added a solder pad to the traces and then connected a 0.35mm via to the pad and then cut half off so it's castellated from 2 separate fabricators to see which comes out best.

I hope this is the last attempt at this since I'm already over $100 in junk boards.