1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

GCVIDEO-Shuriken Wii HDMI

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Dec 5, 2016.

1. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I worked on my shuriken mod for the wii over the weekend. It works but I'm getting a little bit of interference/noise. I'm guessing its a my wire length. These wires are a little big longer than my pluto setup. I'm going to go ahead and try to make a custom flex cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to notch the part of the ground plane on the AV connector for the HDMI board to fit. I had to de-solder the AV connector to be able to get a good looking cut.

[​IMG]

All wired in ready for testing :)

[​IMG]

Meet my youngest black lab JB. She likes to watch me work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    turfster, ItsMeMario, Wolf_ and 3 others like this.
  2. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

You could try adding a few additional ground lines between the signals to reduce crosstalk.

3. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Is the signal being converted from analog to digital? I thought this was digital to HDMI. Or are you talking a different kind of interference, unlike the kind you get with analog signals?

Board looks great!

4. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Ill be your first buyer

5. citrus3000psi

Not a bad idea. I'm not sure I'll even be able to make a custom flex pcb at home (I'm not going to spend 150+ to have a proto made) so I may go back to this route.

The digital lines are subject to cross talk and inference, so when the GCvideo puts everything to together you can get noise. Not static but more like glitches. Mine is very very minor, but its still there.

6. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Okay thanks for clarifying. Hope you get it sorted :)

7. citrus3000psi

I've got the board redesigned with a different connector. I'm also going to route the 54Mhz clock on a separate shielded IPEX cable.

Now I just need to hunt down a solid ink printer to be able to make some good flexible pcbs.

This design uses a different pinout than the shuriken v3 for the data points. Just to make it easier to route to the flexible cable connector.

[​IMG]

8. happy_bunny

happy_bunny Rising Member

Yer i think unseens right if you look at the orginal connector

upload_2016-12-5_23-27-20.png

there are no more then two digital lines before a ground signal D0/D1 then ground, D2/D3 then ground etc etc. I would suggest doing pairs of two digital lines between gnd signals so if that helps.

9. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Hugh Jazzembler Fan

Very cool mod. I've been using one of those Wii 2 HDMI adapters for now (which is analog to digital), but this probably produces slightly better picture I'd imagine. Just having HDMI on a Wii is great for future-proofing, considering any recent TV from the last 8 to 10 years or so has HDMI. And one connector is nice instead of 3-5.

How much are these boards when populated?

10. citrus3000psi

You are unseen are both right. I've already sent my board out to oshpark yesterday but since I'm going to build a flat flex cable, I can add a ground planes onto that :cool:

11. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

Interesting. Do you have any idea which vendor you are going to use? I have been interested in jumping into flex, but it seems rather pricey. :(

You may still want to add ground traces between every few signals. UltraHDMI does the same thing. Also, UltraHDMI does not have a full ground plane on the bottom of the flex, but rather a few traces. I think Marshallh did this, because if the ground plane becomes big, it becomes difficult more difficult to solder the pads(?).

Oh, can you still insert the normal analog video cable, when the HDMI cable is plugged in? I was once well on my way to make a board with the plug sitting nicely under the standard plug, until I realized that the original and new cable would not fit together, making me abandon the idea..

12. citrus3000psi

I'm going to try to build one at home. You can print on to some copper coated kapton with a solid ink phaser. Then etch away the copper. It theory it looks like it should work, but I havn't seen anybody try this with .5mm trace width. The cable will be 1 layer, so no bottom ground.

I haven't tried to plug in both cables. o_O

13. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

Are you trying to put the whole circuit of the board onto a flex pcb or is it just an extender?

14. citrus3000psi

Not the whole board, I'm trying to build something like the HDMI N64 cable.

15. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

So, how much work the final pcb willl need to be installed?

Are you going to take pre-orders?

16. citrus3000psi

I'm not taking pre-orders, and I may never. IDK. Its too early to talk about that yet. I need to have a better working proto first.

I did purchase a Phaser 8550 solid ink printer last night to be able to make ffc/fpc jumper. So things are slowly moving.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  17. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

Do you have an idea of the flex PCB design and length? Is it mainly to connect that to that IC on the left of the board in your pictures up above?

18. citrus3000psi

I'll post a picture of the design when I'm back at home. Bet yes you are right, the flex cable will connect directly to the ave-rvl chip. So there will not be a rats nest of wires like the current setup.

19. Flappyraccoon

Flappyraccoon Rapidly Rising Member

Possibly stupid question, but is the the GCVideo adapted for the Wii? So you will be able to get 480p from the digital signal?

20. citrus3000psi

@Helder
    This is what the flex cable/pcb will look like. Not final design but very close to this.

[​IMG]

Yes you are exactly correct.