1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

gcompsw - 4:1 automatic composite/component switch

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by superg, Jun 5, 2016.

1. CaveManGamer

CaveManGamer Member

So in need of a good quality component switch!
    Willing to test it on the following:
    GameCube
    N64
    Wii
    Xbox
    Xbox360
    Ps2
    Snes
    Genesis/32x/cd
    Master System
    Saturn

2. CaveManGamer

CaveManGamer Member

Is there any conversion between the component to composite signals? Or is this simply a low loss pass through switcher? Also, have you tested this through the d-terminal on the XRGB mini? Just curious if there's any noise.

3. Sargie

Sargie Member

As a very satisfied customer of the Scart Switch I am very interested in this. I currently have a Zektor component switch box which seems nice from a quality perspective but once you have self-switching it's hard to go back ;)

4. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

Sometimes automatic switching causes problems. Like if there is ever a resolution change or cutscene that needs to be loaded it can cause the automatic switching feature to turn on and kill the display for a second or longer, heck even brief flashes are annoying so the option to turn that off is nice. I mean not having it can be annoying but imo not having the option to turn it off is more annoying because normally you won't need to constantly switch inputs but a game can constantly have problems with it.

Also your current switch box has digital audio out so that's a nice feature this doesn't have.

As far as image quality preservation and general build quality though I'm betting this will be a far better device, but man I wish it had a manual switch only option, or a "auto detect at power on and stay on that channel" mode. I can't say for sure if that will be a problem or not with this device though, hopefully I will get picked to test it.

5. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Active Member

Interested in getting one of these switches. Have PS3 Slim, Wii , Xbox 360 and original Xbox. Not as many devices as others have to test it with :(

6. Steve_Schlegel

Steve_Schlegel Newly Registered

Any idea if this would handle resolutions smaller than typical component video? Like 240p over one of these SNES component cables?

7. Plasia

Plasia Member

Sweet I've been waiting for ages for this!

Everyone seems to be jumping up and down saying how qualified they are. Stuff I can test that you didn't list: Wii (known to be a slightly rogue signal), Wii U, Shinybow SB2840 RGB converter and general output compatibility that would be good to know, Garo, OSSC, XRGB2+, 2x CRT, xcapture-1, Plasma. Can also verify PSP, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2 and PS3.

8. Kris Syme

Kris Syme Newly Registered

Could I please get one of the prototypes?

9. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

The cases are gonna be here soon. I will let everybody know once I'll have everything ready.

10. almmiron

almmiron ...

How much it gonna be $ ? (more or less). I live in Brazil...

11. superg

I will get the cases tomorrow and the price will be calculated shortly.

Myblackamex, Wolf_ and almmiron like this.
  12. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

Just curious but was there or a delay in calculating the price or did I just not get picked for the beta testers?

13. celeritas

celeritas Member

He'll announce when he's ready. Let him to work his magic.

14. superg

Right now I'm in the middle of creating http://www.gretrostuff.com gcompsw page with all the details and photos. The price is $90 + shipping. There are many people who are willing to get one so I think it would be fair to open the sale for everybody at the specific time. I will announce everything here.

CaveManGamer likes this.
  15. celeritas

celeritas Member

Thanks for your hard work superg. If I don't get one with this batch, I'll be patiently waiting for the next batch. =)

16. superg

Ok, the updated information details and terms are available on http://www.gretrostuff.com. I have here 9 units available (first ever batch) and I will be requiring some feedback, just post directly to this thread what you used and how did it go, no need to PM me. Also I would appreciate the general experience, not necessarily positive :)
    I will put the units for sale this Saturday (01/14/2016) around 10am EST.

Myblackamex and tacoboy42 like this.
  17. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

Firstly, let me just say that I am completely taken aback by how beautiful your switches look. That flare of style really is the icing on the cake.

Secondly, in case I'm lucky enough to get one fast enough I had a few questions about features I would like to test:
    1) How is the Ext header used for manual input? I have a gscartsw and it has the same feature listed so I'd like to fiddle around with that and see about testing it.
    2) Also under features it says you can upgrade the firware so... How do you upgrade the firmware?
    3) What is the port to the left of the output slot under the glass used for? Doesn't look like you can plug anything into it without taking the top section off.

18. superg

Thanks! :)
    Those are DIY headers, so far nobody was interested, you're the first one. To really utilize it you'll have to know some electronics and know precisely what are you gonna use it for. EXT port on gscartsw is "read-only", you can only design electronics which will query active input number. Here on gcompsw it also allows port override, which essentially allows you to build your own switching circuit - for instance small extension board with one button which will cycle through all inputs.
    Altera ByteBlaster is needed for that. In the case there are some bugs in the firmware or if any detection fine-tune is needed this can be changed through firmware update. Usually this is the easy way for me to update things without making another minor board revision.
    That's the mentioned ByteBlaster header, you'll have to take top portion off to plug the programmer in.

tacoboy42 likes this.
  19. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

What about 4 buttons, each assigned to 1 input? (Or 8 for the Gscartsw?)

20. superg

As I've said, you can't override gscartsw inputs, you can only query them (say you want to design a "display" device which will show which console is turned on)
    For gcompsw yes, you can design a board with 4 buttons etc.