1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

gcompsw - 4:1 automatic composite/component switch

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by superg, Jun 5, 2016.

1. ViraLicious

ViraLicious Active Member

My thoughts too! :) I'll get both the HDMI and component mod in the near future. Since they both have some benefits over one another depending on what you are after. I'm just waiting for a reply from Badass Consoles, been waiting for about a month... I guess he's a very busy guy.

That's my plan as well. I have one of retro_console_accessories SCART>8pin (Framemeister) cables running from my gscart switch into my Framemeister at the moment. However I have added a VGA cable from it too which will run into my RXI 203 for RGsB content and for consoles with known sync issues. I will also use the cable you mentioned from my RXI to my Framemeister but for interlaced content I will switch to the SCART>8pin cable since the RXI doesn't handle it so well.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

I, and I think most of the users prefer to have external post processing (XRGB-Mini) on GameCube, and HDMI output doesn't allow that.

Once you strip sync from Green and make it standard RGBS I agree.

These console games were made with HDMI in mind so yes, HDMI should be used.

WII can also output RGBS.

3. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

The xrgb mini has an hdmi in. I use it to upscale 720 to 1080 so that my tv won't have to which depending on the tv's processing chip, the color socks you are wearing, and if you have upset any gypsies recently may mean avoiding several frames of lag from letting the tv handle things.

Also did you get RGBS to work with the wii? Is it only via pal/homebrew region changed wiis or will it work with stock ntsc-u as well?

4. superg

HDMI support in Framemeister is nothing but problem. It's reliable only in passthrough mode which defeats a primary purpose of having post processing. I do get frame skips and it's a mess. Another problem is a low resolution HDMI support.

I didn't have the time to work on it.

5. ViraLicious

He was wondering how you output RGBs with the Wii. :)

6. superg

There was a conversation with him earlier where he claimed that you can easily get RGBs from NTSC-U WII by tampering with firmware so I surely know what he meant.

7. ViraLicious

Ah sorry! Didn't mean to interfere and hope it wasn't insulting! :) Was also a bit curious myself. :)

8. bobthewindham

bobthewindham Member

I convert gscartsw to YUV, and run it through my automatic Philips component selector. It works well most of the time, but sometimes I get some inverted color issues on an older Sony Grand Wega I have. I think it's probably the tv though.

On a power note, do you think that a product like the RetroDC would be able to power the gscartsw, and two gcompsw? That would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

9. superg

It will be more than enough, but make sure the polarity is correct.

bobthewindham likes this.
  10. bobthewindham

bobthewindham Member

Sweet!

So I just need the appropriate tips, another RetroDC, two of these component switches and I could eliminate 3 wall warts from my setup. This is good; very good.

11. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

There are those of us who use consumer CRTs that have Component input. So Component is the preferred output of choice.

You can get Component out of a lot of other consoles. NES, PCE,MD,SFC,NeoGeo,N64. More than I can think of too.

Now that GCVideo Lite is available to buy in kits, combined with GBI. Makes it the near definitive way to play Game Boy accurately in 240p on a CRT. Without the 200-300$ cost of a Nintendo Cable.

12. RdCrestdBreegull

RdCrestdBreegull Member

Seems nobody's asked this yet... I've heard that the component video standard that PVMs and BVMs use is different than the consumer component video standard. So if we were to use a BVM-D32E1WU with this component switcher, would we get inaccurate color representation? Is this switcher then mostly meant for consumer TVs? Looking forward to this! :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  13. superg

Switch just passes through the signal. The question is whether the given console provides BVM-compatible YUV signal.

14. RdCrestdBreegull

RdCrestdBreegull Member

Right, and I would guess that there aren't any consoles that do provide BVM-compatible YUV signals. I plugged my GameCube into my PVM-14M4U with component and it looked great, but I'm not sure which standard PVMs adhere to. Has anyone tried connecting a console to a BVM with component, and/or does anyone know about this whole signal standard issue and how much or little it affects consoles connecting to BVMs (and PVMs?) with component?

15. Borman

Borman Xbox Archivist Staff Member

I plug my component systems into my BVM no problem. Looks fine as far as I can tell.

16. superg

I somewhat disagree on that. Yes, there are different YUV encoding schemes but these are mainly applicable to software encoding/decoding. It's very likely that one YUV coding standard is used in both consumer / professional market.

17. RdCrestdBreegull

RdCrestdBreegull Member

It seems like it'll be fine. Was just bringing it up to make sure. Thank you! :)

18. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

Not to rush you or anything but has any progress been made on this? I'm very eagerly awaiting a chance to order one!

19. Myblackamex

Myblackamex Member

2 gscartsw arrived and are awesome! now waiting to order 1 gcompsw to replace the monoprice :)

20. superg

I plan to order a few switches soon.