SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

gcompsw - 4:1 automatic composite/component switch

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by superg, Jun 5, 2016.

1. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

Here's my next development project.

Features:
    1. 4 component/composite inputs;
    2. Design with focus on image quality;
    3. All component modes supported (up to 1080i);
    3. Integrated video amplifier;
    4. Automatic switching;
    5. Upgradeable through JTAG (switching logic is controlled by FPGA);
    6. Manual switching override/query using EXT header;
    7. Polarity & overvoltage protection;
    8. Externally powered (standard 2.1 DC jack, 7-12V, center positive);

The idea:
    Similar to gscartsw (http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/gscartsw-automatic-8-1-scart-rgb-switch.52513) this switch unit is able to forward composite / component video signal with minimal loss. Both component and composite devices can be used simultaneously. The detection is performed using logical OR between composite and component inputs (yellow and green connectors which carry sync pulses). Simply it means that you can connect all your remaining component and composite consoles to this switch simultaneously. Altera is performing the switching logic, such approach optimizes costs while allows logic upgrades in the future. Daisy chaining is supported as well. You can even use this switch to forward RGBS signal if you'll create the adapter yourself. EXT header can be used for querying enabled input as well as manually overriding it. This is useful when you want to create some informational display to graphically show which console is currently turned on. Or you want to add a button which will switch between inputs manually. Or bluetooth remote control, the possibilities are endless.

I'm very pleased how the first prototype performs. The image is perfect, PS3 outputs 1080i and I see clear and perfect picture. Audio is forwarded as is, nothing to add here. Yet I have to perform some additional tests to make sure everything is perfect but so far I think this project is 95% complete.

Since the PCB is twice as small as gscartsw and it has less components, this unit should be significantly cheaper to manufacture. Case is yet to be designed by me but it'll look very similar to what I currently provide with gscartsw.

Some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. manifestx

manifestx Newly Registered

This is great, looking forward to this. subbed;

3. eric90000

eric90000 Active Member

Sweet...and I was just looking into getting a component switcher. Definitely gonna wait and see how this pans out. Nice one superg

4. ollidab

ollidab Active Member

Nice :D Already ordered my JP21 Switch and I'll definitely order one of these when available. Keep up the good work.

5. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

Can't wait. Pretty much all component switches suck.

6. Borman

Borman Xbox Archivist Staff Member

Awesome, going to have to get one of these myself

7. celeritas

celeritas Member

wow this looks awesome! i can't wait to see what it will look like with a case.

8. lilralphie

lilralphie Active Member

Hi superg! Always excited to see what you are working on and super impressed with the gscartsw.

2 quick questions:
    1) Any chance of a larger version down the road? I currently hook up 5 consoles via component: xbox, ps2, gamecube, wii, and psp.
    2) What advantages/differences do you see over the available 6x2 component matrix (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/4...oslink-digital-audio-matrix-selector-switch)?

Thanks so much!

9. Deka

Deka Rising Member

Following!

10. superg

The multiplexer chip I use in this design is limited to 4 inputs. If I would do 8 input version I'll have to use two such chips. I've decided to go with the 4 inputs because I think that most users will have around 4 component consoles (rarely people use PSP, WII is better using RGB-SCART (PAL version), etc.). So most will fit under 4 inputs. Those who won't will have to get 2 switches and daisy chain. Another factor is price, I want to make it affordable. The board is twice as small as gscartsw, cheaper to manufacture, less components, less acryl to use, sounds like a win to me.

I own this and it's garbage. First of all it's not automatic. Second, I see signal degradation, especially on my WII. I've seen how it's build inside and it's not good, chosen components, tolerances / etc. One multiplexer is going through the other using port 1 etc etc.

lilralphie likes this.
  11. Mauricio

Mauricio Active Member

Hi superg!

Can you do a 4x2 version? I have to split to my main setup and a old CRT to play light gun games. Call me lazy, but I´m tired of swapping cables and I dont have a easy access to do it, so sometimes I don´t play light gun games just to no have to deal with cables.

Of course I can use something like that
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2848

But probably will kill the purposes of have a high quality switch like yours.

12. superg

I don't know, it'll increase board size and you could get something external to split your signal, amplified of course. On the other hand switch amplification is enough to output to the two sources simultaneously.

13. graphique

graphique Enthusiastic Member

I guess it's too late to offer suggestions now, but it might have been nice to have S-Video for those few things that use it - VCRs, unmodded N64s, and so on.

14. superg

It's not too late for suggestions but s-video doesn't really fit here.

15. lilralphie

lilralphie Active Member

Thank you for your reply and for answering my questions.

16. Looney Bin Jim

Looney Bin Jim Spirited Member

Bangin' stuff dude! I have been waiting for a component switch like this, i was actually contemplating buying a Kramer Rack. Please put me down for one of these from the first batch.

17. RetroBarista

RetroBarista Member

Yet another fantastic creation from superg. Loving the scart switch and cant wait to upgrade my component switch! Thanks for all you're giving to the retro community!

18. Adeema

Adeema Member

i look forward to seeing the finished product.

With this, the gscartsw, and the framemeister, I'll finally have all my consoles connected and ready to go!

19. celeritas

celeritas Member

All that I need would be a ghdmisw and i'll have an all-superg setup!

20. Adeema

Adeema Member

Ooo, I'd love to see that! Here's hoping...