1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

GBA Everdrive Coming?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by derekb, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rso

rso HUUUGE Member. (It's enormous. You'd love it.)

Sorry to be the party pooper, but imho it being bigger than a normal cart is a bit of a letdown, especially for the GBM crowd. It says 'prototype' on the label so maybe (hopefully) it might still trim some of the fat. Otoh the molds for the bigger case are already made (unless this one's 3D printed, but it doesn't look that way), so...

2. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Hot damn I have been looking forward to this for quite some time.

3. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

The bigger size may be a downer but I haven't seen the final spec. If it supports a whole lot more GBA games, doesn't use hard to find obsolete mini-SD card, and doesn't need funky software to "fix" ROMs to work properly, then the ED is still good.

I plan to get this one. I've played GBA=SP with Boktai sticking out and it hadn't bothered me, the oversized GBA cart won't be an issue.

4. MentalWarp

MentalWarp <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I got the same feeling, that it was about Boktai sized. Even if it's a bit bigger than a regular GBA cart, that won't be a downer at all for me. I'll just be stoked to be able to use it, and there's always the possibility that once he sells enough, he may be able to reduce the cart size down the line. He's done case revisions in the past, right?

5. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

Pre-orders begin July 1st, 2016 on stoneagegamer.com at $99

Features
    - All save types supported, no rom patching required
    - 256Mbit PSRAM (32MByte)
    - Fast Loading (Most games load within 1-2 seconds)
    - Micro SD Support (SD up to 2GB, SDHC 4-32GB, SDXC 64GB+)
    - Quick Boot Ability (skip most games gameboy boot screen)
    - Real Time Clock Support
    - Recently Played Game List
    - Play Random Game Feature

6. Borman

Borman Xbox Archivist Staff Member

Awesome, going to have to preorder I think

7. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Looks like the only benefits over the EZ Flash IV (aside from availability issues) is the RTC and microSD support. If memory serves you can put a copy of every game from every region of every possible revision and not fill 64gb.
    Mini-SD cards aren't that hard to find unless Amazon won't ship to your country. Having it be larger than a standard GBA card is a big downer considering the EZ Flash did it with design techniques and technologies over a decade ago. We've got better components that are smaller, power sippers, and cheaper. Unless the RTC adds space and the microSD card slot is bigger than a miniSD card slot I'm not sure why it's bigger. Having it stick out of the bottom or top of my GBA will be somewhat annoying that I may get used to. Good thing I don't like the form factor of the Micro.

I'm hoping this will match the 64Drive in terms of build quality?

8. Borman

Borman Xbox Archivist Staff Member

The benefit will be power consumption is way closer to a standard cart, plus no need to use other software to load ROMs

9. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

EZ Flash's menu was terrible, and getting the mini SD in and out of that thing was a huge headache.

10. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Oh man, I think I finally how out what to spend some of my birthday cash on. Been waiting for this for a while. I refused to get a EZ flash, mini sd is lame and I refuse to use special software after my old GBC flash cart. I'm also very happy with the overall quality of all my Everdrives.

Can't wait to pre-ordered

11. djelaba

djelaba Benzin !, Site Supporter 2013

So did M3 team with M3 lite :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big no no for me as well.