SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Game King - JAMMA 2019 in 1

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by Yakumo, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

The pandora's box can go now because the Game King has arrived. I've seen these used in the arcades here in Japan. They are pretty powerful solutions for arcade cabinets. Runs 3D stuff such as Capcom's early 3D fighters, Soul Edge and a few others as well as all the classics. Unlike Pandora's Box 3, all the games work really well. Games that had big issues on the pandora's box such as the Konami games all work perfectly here.

Basically the unit is a PC with a JAMMA interface attached. Works really well and offers various video outputs. VGA 31KHz, NTSC / PAL / Sega 21KHz format. There's also stereo sound out put too!

I have mine running via VGA to a VGA to HDMI converter (Direct signal) then that goes in to the Framemeister's HDMI in so I can add scan lines and change the image to an arcade look rather than VGA look. The end result is very impressive.

[​IMG]

You can see one of two sets of dip switches in this picture
    [​IMG]

The smaller box on top is my supergun
    [​IMG]

Xexex running perfectly!
    [​IMG]

arnoldlayne, Jackhead and Digmac like this.
  2. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

Looks cool man, never heard of this one before. Any chance you could make a video about it?

3. Yakumo

Yep, planning to do one on Sunday as long as I'm not too hung over from Saturday night.

Played Bloody Roar 2 on it tonight. Works perfectly. Also gave Street Fighter III W impact a try. Again, perfect.

4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Hmm where might one find one of these?
    Does it coin up as soon as a game is selected like the Pandora box?

5. Yakumo

No, there's a set of dip switches. So you can have it coin up like the Pandora but then you can't see the game intro. I have mine set up so I can select a game, start it then I can insert a coin when I'm ready to play. If I don't insert a coin the game just runs it's standard demo loop as it would in the arcade.

As to where you can buy one, I got mine from a store on Aliexpress. It wasn't cheap at 280 USD after shipping but it's so worth the price. It uses multiple emulators to get the best results.

Be very aware though. There are the so called blue board versions that don't have a case. These use a celleron 4 CPU and have issues with many of the games. My e has a last gen P4 in it. Plus it's in a case and uses a Solid Sate HDD. So the games load fast. In fact the whole system is ready to use in about 1 minute of powering on.

6. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I found one on New Egg of all places. strongly considering picking one up as I need an arcade machine and I have joysticks that should work with a super gun.

7. Yakumo

I found out last night that if I plug my USB Saturn pad it suddenly becomes player 1 which the stick connected to the Supergun becomes player 2. The problem is that the Saturn pad has no control or start button mapped to it so it only works in some games. I guess one could be wired in though. The 360 pad does nothing. I've yet to try my PS3 or Xbox One pads.

8. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

No offense, But why do you spend close to 300 bucks on absolutely obsolete hardware that you can get easily for free ?!
    Jamma to pc cards are cheap and its easy to find pre-configured packs of Hyperspin with loads of games and similar ......

9. Yakumo

Because it's already made. Making these kinds of systems isn't simple like installing a new graphics card. There's a lot of custom hardware and wiring to be done. I wouldn't call solid state hard drives or DDR4 RAM obsolete either or easy to get for free. That's what's inside of this system.

10. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

How loud is the system when turned on? Sounds good that it has an SSD, and I may be interested in a solution like this in the future given the rising PCB prices.

11. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

Are you sure about the Ram ? As a P4 with DDR4 makes no sense, the p4 would bottleneck the ram. Also never ever seen a mainboard like this (and the one inside the Game King looks pretty standard to me).
    Cant find the exact specs of the Game King, but im more than sure it got DDR400 ram, as in DDR1 !
    So beside the SSD (40 bucks) and the 2 Jamma to PC cards (double packs on ali for around 20 bucks), i cant see anything precious in there ;).

Also cant see any special wiring or anything like that, just standard aftermarket parts.

And with http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Soft-15khz , its no problem to use any old gfx card.

But just my opinion :).

edit: manual says ->
    2. Use P4 motherboard, Intel Celeron4 CPU, Hard Disc, 256M DDR

frontend looks pretty much like a reskinned hyperspin.

edit 2: http://de.aliexpress.com/item/Game-...71_72_73_74_75,searchweb0_0,searchweb201560_9

just crappy things, no custom wiring, or anything new in there, as to be seen on the pic in this offer. ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  12. Yakumo

That's the biggest issue with this, it is loud thanks to the 3 fans in the box. I'm going to replace them with quieter fans. Considering it is meant to be inside a cabinet they didn't really bother sound proofing it.

13. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Hm. So basically it's a Mame box.

14. Yakumo

Kind of but with other emulators besides MAME.

15. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

making this box completely silent would cost them 20-30$ more. should say already alot about the motivations behind selling something like that .....

but yeah, im just a curious person and this thread motivated me to pick up the dual xeon workstation i just got offered to pick up for free from a studio and turn it into a monster of a hyperspin box, making this game king look like the crap it is ;).

16. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

yeah sure you can make something better or way better, I don't think that's the point. All these arcade owners just want something to plug in their cabinets and be done with it. Everything is pre-installed, pre-configured and you just connect the jamma harness. You just pay to get ready-to-use stuff .

17. Yakumo

Well we are not all lucky to get free computers. Can't get any computer for free as I'm sure many others can't. But still, knock yourself out making a Mega MAME box. I have the cash so I'm happy with what I bought. Certainly don't have the time to make anything like this.

That's right. The only reason why arcade owners don't make a MAME box. All the work is done for them. If I was still young with a load of free time I'd love to make a great MAME box but the truth is that I'm 40 next monthmonth, work until 7:30 every day and have a family. No time for projects other than youtube.

18. AnalogWinter

AnalogWinter Peppy Member

Very cool. I was going to grab a Pandora but may save up a bit more for one of these units. Looking forward to checking out your video review.

^_^_^

19. Yakumo

The video went live last week :)

Update on the system. I installed more RAM so the system now has 1gb which helps speed up killer Instinct. Tekken 2 was still only clocking and in at 45 fps so I upgraded the CPU to a 3.2ghz unit. Guess what? Everything ran slower! There was no bios update to help either. So back in went the original 2.7ghz CPU.

I now have an i5 PC that I bought for 12000 yen. That will become the Base of my new jamma multi game system. It has 4gb of ram too so it will run model 3 games easily at 60fps.

Oh, by the way, the game king is a hack of Hyperspin :) the Solid State Hard Drive is named Hyperspin.

20. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but hoping you could give some insight on something.

I've got a MAME rig I've had for several years setup in one of my cabs. Had an older XP machine running Soft15khz, decided to upgrade and ditched that machine for a newer setup with Win7 and an PCI-E ArcadeVGA card. I've done nothing but wrestle with conflicts between Win7 and the ArcadeVGA card and have lost my patience.

How is the CGA video output over the JAMMA harness on the Game King? Specifically, how does it visually compare to a machine running CRT_Emudrivers or an ArcadeVGA card?