Found a SPU3200 17P in an old CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by bennydiamond, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Hello, I have dismantled an old CD-ROM drive to find a SPU3200 laser unit inside.

The only problem is that it's flat cable connector has 17 pins. I think that the DC has only 16 pins.

Is there a way to use the laser unit I found or is it worthless?

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

3. pc_91

pc_91 Spirited Member

hi! i was just about to sand him to my post but you win me, :p any way in post i never say which is the pin to left unconnected, is the last one, pin 1 is marked with an arrow at the lens you start connecting there and left the last one free, and it should work like a charm if the lens is in good shape, good luck

4. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Thanks alot guys. I think I should replace my original GD-rom laser for the SPU3200 right now. I am not playing any GD discs right now so I could spare it from deterioration.

Thanks again!

5. pc_91

pc_91 Spirited Member

actually the SPU can also read GD is all about the firmware, if you want to use the spu maybe you must hack some plastic pieces of your drive, i recomend you to get a second dead drive and build it "from scratch" with the SPU and save the original drive as is

6. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

There's two kinds of mechanisms out there:

SAMSUNG mechanism
    Yamaha mechanism

SAMSUNG has a bigger space for the optical head and both laser types fit on it.
    Yamaha mechanism takes only NEC SPU-3200.

Any SPU-3200 regardless of subtype (flat cable type) will fit both mechs without any changes.

You can't fit a SAMSUNG laser on a Yamaha mech because the lens assembly is bigger than that of the NEC laser.

7. pc_91

pc_91 Spirited Member

i could fit it, but it will no focus since it was too far from the disc, i had to replace splindle and spindle motor, and remove the plastic cover ef the mechanis but everyone else says they just put and work fine

8. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

That happens only if you change the motor for a different one. If the head is of the same type as the original one it should it perfectly.

9. pc_91

pc_91 Spirited Member

i've changed the motor because it got broken when i was trying to lower the spindle because originally it wont read

10. cybdyn

cybdyn Embedded developer (MCU & FPGA)

11. cybdyn

cybdyn Embedded developer (MCU & FPGA)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  12. pc_91

pc_91 Spirited Member

simply amazing, actually with that motor isn't random access reading a lot much faster, those motor can achieve CLV much faster than normal crappy motors, as for the lenses, almost every lens fron cd drive i tested that had same shape and can be mounted it worked, except the fact that focus lens was too far from disc, much mor far than with spu 3200, the samsung cd master series had the same lenses than original dreamcast just with lower focus lens