1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

everdrive for gameboy color

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by edq, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Ya you gotta love it!

2. Wvisions

Wvisions Rising Member

Hopefully it'll be compatible with the GC GB player and/or Super Game Boy. I don't own a GB anymore and being able to play everything on a TV is a must these days.

3. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

Good question, I imagine the Gameboy Player would work but wouldn't guarantee the Super Gameboy.

4. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

super gameboy will work too. the question is if it will support color enhancements or not. a special boot mode which boots directly to the game instead of the menu should be written to accomplish this.

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Not needed. If a SGB game doesn't have the enhancements working, simply resetting the SNES will allow them to activate. It won't require anything special. One thing that does have to be addressed is GB Mono versus Color. When the system first turns on it decides if it will run in Monochrome compatibility mode, or Color mode. In Mono mode, the special color palettes for select games will only work if the game is setup when the BIOS/bootstrap runs. Also important is that if you have a menu that runs first is the menu's mode (color or not) affects any subsequently loaded game. There is a reset signal on the cartridge edge, so it is possible by making use of it will make that not a problem at all.

I'm sure it'll all get worked out. GB Flashcarts aren't new territory. But this will certainly be an upgrade.

6. CAPTAIN N

CAPTAIN N Rising Member

If a game activates in "color mode" does that mean that It'll also run the improved sounds like in Donkey Kong and Animaniacs?

7. MottZilla

To be clear there are 3 different Gameboy systems. Mono, Super GB, and Color. The Super Gameboy identifies cartridges compatible with it when the game is first loaded. If a menu happens to select a ROM file, it will not enable SGB enhancements such as SGB color palettes and extra sounds. This can be solved extremely easily by just tapping the reset switch on the SNES to make the SGB reset and will see the GB cart's game rather than the menu.

So there shouldn't be any trouble with SGB support.

8. CAPTAIN N

CAPTAIN N Rising Member

I wonder if it would then be possible to have some SGB enchancements on the actual Everdrive.. Colors, sounds.. Or maybe higher resolution and 16-bit like stuff like they did with Space Invaders.. Or would such a thing be impossible (or next to) to do with a Flash cart?

9. rso

rso HUUUGE Member. (It's enormous. You'd love it.)

Just for completeness' sake: AFAIK there's a fourth one, GBA/AGB. I think it's just a minor changed data flag in the BIOS though that's handled on the game/software side, not a functional difference, so it shouldn't be relevant for flash carts.

I know the Zelda:Oracle games check this and open/close an ingame shop accordingly. Not sure if any other titles ever did anything with it.

10. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

yup you are right. i confused SGB support with color support.

though that reset signal cartridge pin way (connect pin 30 and 32, reset and ground pins) doesn't work in ems 64 mb usb card. it just resets the whole system and wipes SRAM data.

11. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

Look, if for some reason SGB isn't supported, so what? I have one, but it is never to be used again. The color palettes wreak royally compared to GBA on the old GB games.

12. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

generally gbc/gba color palettes are better than SGB color palettes, but for some games (like pokemon red and blue) SGB color palettes are much better. Plus the special borders and enhanced sound etc for some games.

13. MottZilla

You are correct that a GB or GBC game can detect if it's running on the GBA. This is done by preserving a register after the BIOS completes. This can also identify the SGB and Gameboy Pocket. The main use I've heard of is some games on GBC use a different color palette on GBA. The reason being that the GBC and GBA LCD screens and their color spectrum are somehow different.

Reprep, the Reset Pin when used properly might still work. Krikzz can program the hardware inside the cartridge differently than the EMS card and it could actually make use of this hard reset possibility. We'll find out in time.

SGB has a few curious enhancements, including using extra buttons on the SNES controller I believe. I think atleast one game allows two players. Then ofcourse games have access to the SNES sound hardware. Space Invaders is an example of really using the SGB enhancements alot.

14. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

@MottZilla: Yup, it is surely possible to have a reset pin in the cartridge. i hope krikzz finds out the way. it is just that it is probably more complicated than just bridging two pins as i have it done to my flash card.

i too have a multi-game gameboy card which resets the system after i choose a game from the menu and shows true gbc palette. it is surely possible but not documented i guess.

15. CAPTAIN N

CAPTAIN N Rising Member

Ahhh. So that explains why the Advance Shop wasn't present in the 3DS virtual console edition... Lazyness from Nintendo.

Can a game (Just Pokémon, I guess) Detect if it's being played on a transfer pak?

16. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

nope it can't detect afaik. btw pokemon stadium uses software emulation. there is no gameboy hardware on transfer pak. though SRAM of the cartridge can be read and written and ROM of the cartridge can be read from transfer pak.

17. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

[​IMG]

Super Gameboy? :)

18. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

Didn't Mottzilla release a patched version that fixes this?

19. MottZilla

Yes, I did. It's possible to have quite a few saves on the EMS cartridge at once. However the EverDrive for GB will certainly be better as both ROM and Save capacity will be many times more with SD storage. And he should be able to get the mapper simulation exact so that patches for certain games are not needed like with the EMS cart.

20. CAPTAIN N

CAPTAIN N Rising Member

[​IMG]
    Looks good so far :)