SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

everdrive for gameboy color

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by edq, Apr 1, 2012.

1. edq

edq Member

I have looked for a gbc flash cart and it looks like they all are no good. i was wondering if KRIKzz was thinking about making one? here are some features i would like to see from it.
    would like to be under 200 dollars
    would like it to work on gba sp
    must play gb and gbc games
    must have at least 256 megabytes but more would be nice of internal or external memory for storing games.
    all i can find is 64 megabits or in other words 8 megabyte flash carts.
    i would pay a good and fair price for one meeting my expectations. and i'm probably not the only one.

2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

may be, but right now i concentrate on PCE/turbografx

3. nameless hero

nameless hero Rapidly Rising Member

I bet there's also a lot of chip musicians waiting for a good GB flash cart to use with LSDJ. ;D

4. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

IMHO I am doubtful there is a market for this compared to other flash cards. LSDJ works just fine on smaller (and cheaper) 64mb and 32mb cards from EMS, Smartboy, etc. In addition, most gamers don't care about space as much when it comes to Gameboy. As long as it has a USB transfer interface, price is the biggest issue for most people.

5. nameless hero

nameless hero Rapidly Rising Member

Yeah you're right i guess. And 8MB should still suffice for hundreds of games. ^^

That said, GBC games are larger. Not that i'd want a GBC flash cart at all. :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

I think for GB/GBC, people are happy with the 64M USB SmartCard cause it's cheap. Anything intended to be better shouldn't cost much more and should load ROMs from SD card and have better MBC support, mainly MBR protection so certain games do not require patches to run. I can't wait for the PC-Engine EverDrive though.

7. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

My guess is that if he did make GB/GBC EverDrive it would be the same price as EverDrive-GG. So all those wanting one I hope they understand this. Its not going to be $40 like the current carts. Probably going to be double the price and that will be just for the board.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

I'd gladly pay $80 for one. While I like the EMS cart, being able to have only two games and one save is something I dislike about it. It would be great to have a micro SD GBC EverDrive.

9. Jeppex83

Jeppex83 Rapidly Rising Member

Me too! It would be super great to put all games I have to the same cart, and with all gamesaves working! Cant wait gameboy everdrive. 64M smart card is stupid, it can only save 1 game at time. If I start other game which use game saves, it deletes the first save.

10. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

It's worth it. GB/GBC has a gigantic library, several with region variants like Pokemon. Or obscurities such as Hammerin' Harry that are legit difficult to hunt down.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

I have the EMS 64 USB, would much prefer a better version of GB flash cart.Have 1 GB memory and in OS be able to select favorite roms, no need to go swap roms with USB and funky 32bit only driver/programs. Also 64bit USB drains battery in no time.

12. takeshi385

takeshi385 Buy a Harley and get dragged by my kx500. Mad Kaw!

I went out of my way to setup a dual boot to use the 64m usb cart. A better cartridge with a cross platform design To allow me to use osx with it seems like a no brainer. Build it so I can throw my money at you krikzz.

13. Lastcallhall

Lastcallhall Rapidly Rising Member

Definitely worth it. This would be a day one purchase for me.

14. gray.fullbusterzzz

gray.fullbusterzzz Rising Member

I don't have a 64M flash cart and I didn't buy one because it is super heavy on battery life and only holds one save. If an EverDrive for Gameboy fixed that i would pay good money for it.

15. Greg2600

Greg2600 Dauntless Member

Just buy a GBA or DS and use one of the flash carts for it to play GB/GBC games.

16. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Might be interesting if there's FPGA small enough to fit inside a GBC cart shell, with the power needed to emulate GBC on SGB. Or something to that effect.

Certain PC emulators go against Nintendo specifications by allowing such ideas. Like viewing the hidden Pokemon Crystal SGB border remnants leftover from Gold.

17. gray.fullbusterzzz

gray.fullbusterzzz Rising Member

The DS can't play GB and GBC games (though I'm pretty sure you can download a horrible quality emulator). GBA flash carts need a GB bridge to run in GB/GBC mode. These are very difficult to find as they haven't been produced for years.

Personally I don't think the 64M smartcard is worth having because to me only holding one save is the same as only holding one game (although there are a fair few password saving GB games). It as I said before is heavy on battery life. I think a hacked up GB cart is the best way to go at the moment. Most people (myself included) haven't got the skills to make one though.

http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm#programmable_MBC5_game_cartridge

What would be nice is a flash cart that could mimic Nintendo carts so you could link it up to Pokemon Stadium, Mario Tennis, ect. and transfer your pokemon and characters. Maybe even use the GameBoy tower in Pokemon Stadium to play non-pokemon games.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. Delirious17

Delirious17 Rising Member

Bump...EZFlash died on me after light use...Everdrives are awesome quality!

Vote for GBA/GBC/GB everdrive, the money would be worth it :D

19. Evotistical

Evotistical Robust Member

80 seems fair for a decent quality GB/GBC flash cart, for all others;the EMS crap is out there cheap as heck.
    I want an everboy sooooo bad!!

20. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

theres a couple other options than EMS, but yeah, I'd throw money at the screen for a GB/GBC everdrive with full 64M bank support