DS lite volume increase

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Fabrizo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of a mod that can be performed on the DS lite that will allow it to output greater volume from the audio jack? I never really use the speakers so don't care about them, but even with headphones it seems too quiet.

2. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

When you plug in the headphones do the speakers automatically switch off? You could drive the headphones from the amplified speaker terminals, but you'll have to be careful about not damaging the headphones. A series resistor will do it but that needs to go away when the headphones are out or the speakers won't work. Without knowing the audio circuit I can't say for sure if such a design would be easy (may need to replace headphone jack...) but I'd guess not unless you really don't mind disabling the speakers.

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Why don't you just buy headphones that have their own little volume dial on them? I have some fairly nice headphones that have a little volume dial on them and it lets you listen to the DS at pretty loud volume. Atleast it should, I haven't actually tried yet. But I also have the Fat DS, not sure if that matters. But I remember for the GBA having the same issue, regular headphones without their own volume dial would be too quiet. So just get better headphones.

4. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

It is fairly loud, headphones would be not so loud as you are not getting all the sound. Use a decent pair of inear earbuds as a crap pair will sound quiet.

5. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Well there is a homebrew mp3 player that will increase volume but it gets distorted when turned up to much.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  6. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Because they're are passive and the volume dial is a variable resistor, so it can only reduce the volume. Volume controls on headphones is usually a sign of cheap crap, I'm afraid.

Jamtex advises earbuds, personally I can't stand wearing them for any length of time, and unless you're prepared to invest a lot of money they won't have anything like the fidelity (or comfort!) of a good pair of circumaural headphones. Purely in terms of volume, though, any earbuds will be a reasonable bet.

7. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep.<BR><B>Site Supporter 2012, 2014</B>

Yes, buying better headphones is the answer.

8. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

DS lite does have REALLY quiet audio out compared to any other handhelds I have. GG has mighty loud output, same for Nomad... at one point I was thinking of fitting additional head amp into the system, but gave up as there's really no room for few extra transistors :(

9. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Nintendo probably noticed that Apple got a nice class lawsuit because idiot ipod owners said "the Ipod was too loud and can I have some money" and made the volume of the DS Lite a reasonable level. Maybe you're hearing been damaged listening to the Game Gear at too high a level. :p

I used to hate in ear buds, but the latest ones with nice rubber inserts in different sizes are very comfortable, just remember to clean your ears regularly.

I use the nice Panasonic RP-HJE50, which at $30 are good value and the quality is very good and they have had good reviews. The Sennheiser CX 300 are also quite good. And Fidelity, Nintendo DS? Do they belong in the same sentence? Or are you really wanting to hear the thing whine and squel in the quiet bits?

10. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

I have some nice studio quality headphones that I use for music/video projects and the DS is plenty loud in those. Jam Sessions and Pokémon sound particularly amazing. :)

11. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

To be fair, they weren't in the same sentence, or even paragraph... fair shout, though. Personally I can't imagine buying a pair of headphones for the DS alone, I'd rather buy a decent pair and use them on the DS as well.

12. andoba

andoba <B>サンボマスターファン<BR>Site Supporter 2014<BR>Site Benef

I have a pair of 2$ Sonya headphones and they sound quite well.

13. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

Loud is very relative term... I have a huge HiFi in my home and I don't think its loud enough, despite I have well over 100db in my room :p

14. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

First signs of hearing damage??:lol::lol:

I know how you feel, lol.

15. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

My hearing is fine... its that I was in a band for a while and I had access to mighty powerful equipment...